• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ball golf is harder. Tell me I'm wrong.

Stanko

Cringey click bait title, I know. Though golf golf will always be a part of my life, I'm stoked to be jumping into this new journey of disc golf. Equally as infuriating as the game it was based on, Disc Golf is a whole new challenge between the body mechanics, wind / elements challenge, disc flight and selection, and finally, the courses.
I started off playing when a buddy that was moving away in 3 - 4 months started playing a little more consistently since he left his job. He had a few discs and invited me. Borrowed some from him and walked away with my own extremely abused Roc3 I think. It was fun and he has since moved and I have since added about 8 - 9 other discs to the bag. And actually bought a bag. For now, the favorites are my Hex, Lyft (strictly forearm driver), Underworld for back hand off the tee, and still vibing out putters.
So, Heyo from San Diego. Hope to see some of you out there bangin chains. I'm here for the immediate future and will still play Golf Golf along the side.

Yes. Golf is a harder game. Sadly, it is often ruined by it's own legacy.
It's true. A game of ancient traditions that, just in the past 5 - 7 years, are learning to relax and encourage a more fun approach instead of uptight.

Welcome to the addiction. I always tell people who 'know' ball golf that disc golf is a cross between par three and putt putt (for most of our historical courses), and that you should divide your time commitment for a round and your distances by 3 (yards to feet). I value the fun factor disc golf can provide when course designers keep safety, fun, and challenge (in that order) in mind. Of course then there's the cost... disc golf is 1/10 the cost (or the 'payout'!) of ball golf. All of that appeals to me well enough to have been pretty much a daily player now for twelve years. :)

My introduction to the golf world started with disc golf in 2005. I only got into ball golfing the last handful of years because of my initial interest in disc golf and reading Bob Rotella's books about ball golf psychology and strategy because other disc golfers said they translate into disc golf. I knew before I ever swung a club that many of the same techniques to throw a disc translate into swinging a club. I am terrible at golf btw, it's super hard, but I'm looking forward to playing much more in the coming years for sure.

People who have never ball golfed before have no idea how physically demanding it is to put in hours in the field with your wedges and irons working on your game. The biggest surprise for me so far as a newbie has been that for sure.

Last edited:
You are wrong. :LOL: Have you seen the rule books for each one? Sheesh, ball golfers need a caddy just for the rules book.

Seriously though, I've played ball golf since 1985 until I found disc golf in 2019. Been a disc golfer since.

I've found disc golf to be much harder. Physically and mentally.

Physically, I've had to hike up some hills and cliffs that golfers would never have to deal with. And never the offer of a ride. Not to mention the briars I've had bloody battles with on the course.

Mentally, I doubt golfers ever have to choose their balls or clubs from a thousand approved models in a hundred different plastic formulations and dozens of weight options. And that's before making the decorating schemes of colors and stamps. Sure, golfers have to weigh quality and costs when choosing products, but they're not faced with the choice of a million variations.

So, yeah, maybe it's a lot harder for them to control their shots and hit their target, but that's not everything, you know.

I played ball golf for decades. I've been playing disc golf for 17 years. My scores in disc golf are usually under bogie golf, whereas ball golf was typically around or above bogie golf. Yes, ball golf is more difficult.

I've found disc golf to be much harder. Physically and mentally.

Physically, I've had to hike up some hills and cliffs that golfers would never have to deal with. And never the offer of a ride. Not to mention the briars I've had bloody battles with on the course.

Mentally, I doubt golfers ever have to choose their balls or clubs from a thousand approved models in a hundred different plastic formulations and dozens of weight options. And that's before making the decorating schemes of colors and stamps. Sure, golfers have to weigh quality and costs when choosing products, but they're not faced with the choice of a million variations.

So, yeah, maybe it's a lot harder for them to control their shots and hit their target, but that's not everything, you know.
For most of this, I agree, but in terms of putting, I've found that it's waaaaay easier to putt in disc golf than ball golf. Ball golf is sooo much more punishing on your total stroke count around the green, it can drive you crazy or make you laugh, depending on the day.

For most of this, I agree, but in terms of putting, I've found that it's waaaaay easier to putt in disc golf than ball golf. Ball golf is sooo much more punishing on your total stroke count around the green, it can drive you crazy or make you laugh, depending on the day.
It was tongue-in-cheek. My last line -- "...it's a lot harder for them to control their shots and hit their target..." -- was acknowledging that putting in golf is harder.

It was tongue-in-cheek. My last line -- "...it's a lot harder for them to control their shots and hit their target..." -- was acknowledging that putting in golf is harder.

I have never hit a tree on the green in golf, nor had to stretch around one to putt. :geek: Nor had a 100 foot roll away or had my putt land in a creek.

Even on the green some aspects are harder in disc golf, but generally speaking reading of the greens and other aspects make golf putting harder. Also 30+ mph winds change everything.

It isn't just the putting that is more difficult. An approach shot in golf is far more demanding, and the hardest part of the game in my opinion. Any distance short of a full pitching wedge is a feel shot. The lie, the ground between you and the green, the green's slope and firmness, and the pin location need to be taken into consideration.

One BIG difference between ball golf and disc golf, that makes ball golf easier.

Fitting.

You can get fitted for clubs and even golf balls. But you have to keep trying out different discs to see what works best for you and there are SO many options that a player may never truly find the best discs for them.

Clearly they should add a page from football and allow someone on the card to try and block the putt. This would fix everything.

Latest posts