• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
Yeah, he needs his privilege checked bruh.

latest

Embrace the march of time. We geezers 'round this part put together a bag tag league/club. 50 y/o and above only. We have get togethers, a couple tournaments and find ourselves in many a lawn chair circle after events.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/Alztimers_THE_LEAGUE_2019

[steps on ru4por's front lawn]

This thread is for 40+ old farts, what are you doing posting about your age discriminating league!! Too old not to be considered a Master, to young to hang out with the cool guys and their lawn chairs and beer. :mad:

Stock up on your Depends, couple more years and I am coming for your tag... and your beer.

BH turnover is the weakest part of my game. That is due, in part, because I have a good FH game. FH has come a bit easier for me due to a lengthy baseball history. I'll admit that a BH turnover is occasionally a better way to attack a hole but most times a FH will suffice and is sometimes superior.

I don't rely on OS discs for FH, I can throw every disc in my bag both BH and FH. Can't tell you the last time I threw a Comet FH, but I know I can do an anny flick with it in a pinch. Generally I throw my JB Roach for those shots though.

Oh, and I'm not f'n lazy. I continue to work on BH turnover shots and even throw them when it counts occasionally.... with mixed results.

Then I am obviously not talking about you. Remember, the guilty flee-eth when no one pursue-eth. ;)

My biggest complaint is discs I use going out of production. In the past year we lost the Aero and the Impact. The Aero is the disc that I keep in every vehicle just in case. (And I used to like giving away to newbs.) And an ESP Impact is one of the best woods discs I've used.

Obligatory to post here:

So I started back when i was in Fifth grade, about when I was 11 years old. I had a noodle arm back then so I learned with a dx dragon, dx cobra and a xsoftapx. Basically I was a noodle arm when i was learning, but there weren't many options to throw at the time, so the max speed discs I and a few others were throwing with were at most speed 12, most of us had no need for something speed 14 like some of the discs made nowadays. My range on an open field hole where i can bomb it the farthest Ive gotten was estimated at 390-400ft on a massive hyzer with a 162 gram star destroyer. Most players my age that arent competitive can't really throw far unless they really commit. However commitment that I once had I no longer have and I don't have as much time to train as I used to, Always thinking I would be a competitive, high ranked pro player.

Also you old guys, let faster players through pls :D

I have a complaint about something I am seeing more often at tournaments in the last year or two. Somehow I always end up parked next to one of the youngsters who's running his V8 engine through the entire lunch hour, just to charge his phone. And closes the windows and turns on the AC so its quieter inside, leaving the rest of us to absorb the noise and exhaust. Extra bonus annoyance if they have environmentalism stickers on their car.

One of those dang millennials will need to show me how to embed but here's a link....

https://youtu.be/xZDK_LG9DuU

That video is not approved for use in my country.

Haha. I know that one though if it's the PC babies anyways....

I don't think it's fair to vilify someone for not using inclusive enough words. If I could go back I would use the words persons and farts and just leave it at that. M/F LGBTQOU and S&M whatever you identify as:

"Welcome!!!"

If that's not enough to stop you kids from scrapping then go outside! I don't care. Beat the p*** out of each other just do it outside. (I sound like my father). I want to talk some disc.

I'm feeling my age and just want to bitch about the old days and learn from my elders, crotchety old folks can be hilarious.

I'm Canadian and proud of it, I nice everyone.. I live in BC (Cali of Canada) on a small island filled with very diverse people. I'm sorry if you stepped on my foot. My house is ridiculously small and an inclusive and safe place for everyone including the occasional wayward kid. They know if they need somewhere this is where they can come and we don't judge. I have friends and lived with other nationalities and sexualities and.. and I really don't care. Be you, I'll be me. Just another whoops like not using an emoji in a text message because I'm busy not trying to die at work.

Speaking of that and not disc golf related.. I should post a thread about how many times the lack of :) in a text led to a lack of :D

Last edited:
My biggest complaint is discs I use going out of production. In the past year we lost the Aero and the Impact. The Aero is the disc that I keep in every vehicle just in case. (And I used to like giving away to newbs.) And an ESP Impact is one of the best woods discs I've used.

I can't believe the Aero is oop I really didn't see that coming. I really thought that was as safe as the Aviar. You wouldn't think Innova would retire a classic like that.. Or the Scorpion.

[steps on ru4por's front lawn]

This thread is for 40+ old farts, what are you doing posting about your age discriminating league!! Too old not to be considered a Master, to young to hang out with the cool guys and their lawn chairs and beer. :mad:

Stock up on your Depends, couple more years and I am coming for your tag... and your beer.

Lol....you know us old farts are always open to mentoring some young, whippersnappers. All that is needed is a chair and an encouraged dole of a couple Oberons. As far as my tag and beer.....well young man, we shall talk, after you stare down the steely, piecing gaze of father time, for a few more years. I'll have some motrin waiting. :p

Off-topic bickering:
How about people that don't realize being politically correct simply means using language that is not offensive? My parents taught me this way back in the 70's. They just called it being polite.
What was offensive about the original post?
Apparently back in the day everyone who played disc golf was male, if I read the OP correctly.
iu
On-Topic:
So some of us are still "young" in the spectrum and at heart. A fella I know played a 85th birthday round at our course on the "old farts" nine recently. I hope I'm still playing in 40 years.

Anyhow it struck me there's a lot of fellas that are a lot older than I assumed and that there might be some wisdom to be shared among us crafty older guys. Reducing body strain, the uses of Bengay etc. Saying you saw a mee mee on the Internet just to get in the head of that punk that just threw 450'. Complaints about how they don't make discs or DG Champions like they used to... Useful advice like that.

Welcome to the club!
I'm not old enough but even in my decade of playing I've noticed the scene grow from where everybody knows almost everybody to not at all. When I first started there was a decent chance you'd get your disc back if you lost it (even if you didn't put any info on it, if you played a course regularly enough, folks would recognize so-and-so's beat to death glow Roc or whatever). Now it's a total crap shoot.

I've read a lot of the various complaining about the durability of the base plastics of say Innova and Discraft. The first time I read one of those I laughed because back in my day all we had was base plastic and we were happy. I still remember the first monster chunk I took of out my very first DX Roc on a sign.

How about people that don't realize being politically correct simply means using language that is not offensive? My parents taught me this way back in the 70's. They just called it being polite.

Polite does not equal Politically Correct. Far from it.

Politically Correct is just new bigots with new targets. Like homophobes, mostly the PC crowd is the closet bigots that try to demonize others so fewer will notice just how much of a bigot they are themselves.

Continue being polite, but don't associate with the closet bigots.

("It's all so tiresome" image macro.)

If it's tiresome for you reading about it when someone musters the mental energy to deal with it yet again, and only on those occasions when they can be bothered to go through the whole dreary routine for a mostly-hostile audience that values the status quo because they've got theirs, and F anyone else, imagine living it all the time.

You probably couldn't handle it, given how triggering it seems to be just to read about it sometimes.

I'm an newly 40yo fart and have a complaint about us older than 40 crowd:

Yo old guy: just because you can't throw a sidearm more than 199ft doesn't mean you have to expound that throwing a riskier backhand turnover is a better shot. moreover why is your backhand turnover garbage a better shot than a sidearm turnover?!

I say to your OLD MAN "GET OF MY LAWN" LOGIC, "you get of MY LAWN". :p

I get this a ton because I'm left handed over 40yo and play with a great group of even older gentlemen. When they are throwing their old man 145g starlite terns with Right handed backhand hyzers 300ft and its my turn to throw I'll inevitably get the "you should throw a backhand turnover here" and I scoff and sidearm a left hand hyzer with a fairway driver just as well.

i started playing dg at 37yo and was lucky enough not to be so dependent on what i started throwing (left hand backhand) and slowly learned how sidearm to the point where I can sidearm pretty much as confidently as my backhand. it took a year and a half (to learn proper form) but it got there. turnover putter flick (i can do it!), hyzer putter flick (yup!), 350 distance driver flex (hells yeah), sidearm midrange hyzer approach from 200 (yeah baby).

don't be afraid to learn new things fellow older people! this year I'm learning how to do overhead shots (tomahawks and thumbers). maybe I'll learn how to do distance rollers too.

I hope that you are proud of your ability to show up a bunch of your elders there Doc. What's next, are you going to Picadilly during the early bird special in order to challenge a bunch of senior citizens to a potato sack race?:D

Last edited:
I hope that you are proud of your ability to show up a bunch of your elders there Doc. What's next, are you going to Picadilly during the early bird special in order to challenge a bunch of senior citizens to a potato sack race?:D

I like playing against older golfers.. It makes me feel younger against those freeloaders... free hips, free knees, free pension, free bowels. It's all free after 70 I hear..

Polite does not equal Politically Correct. Far from it.

Politically Correct is just new bigots with new targets. Like homophobes, mostly the PC crowd is the closet bigots that try to demonize others so fewer will notice just how much of a bigot they are themselves.

Continue being polite, but don't associate with the closet bigots.

Closet bigot? Seriosly? There is no closet involved. There are better ways to communicate than the old terms.
Conciously using less hurtful language seems like a legitimate goal. I am stubborn, but still try to be better than my past.
To portray yourself as a victim because you are unwilling to try? That's awful impolite.

You are describing "polite", not "politically correct". Other than where you accuse me of claiming to be a victim. That was impolite. And incorrect.

Latest posts