• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One and Done

I just figure that I use my Wizard for the majority of my shots even when I have my full bag. Most holes I can throw in the 230-250 range without too much trouble, and the holes where I need more distance than that I have more height to work with. I'm also used to making one Wizard fly straight, hyzer, or anhyzer, where I typically rely on multiple Rocs for the same spectrum. For the moment, I'm just hoping that the Wiz I just dug out of my stash is seasoned enough to be a decent replacement for my lost one.

I agree with roadkill, I think it's better to take a little of with a Roc/ other mid, than be powering the wizard for every hole. I find I make my worst mistakes when I'm trying to throw too hard.

I agree that a mid is the best choice usually for one disc rounds (I'd use a BuzzGT personally). There is something to be said, though, for being able to use the wizard but choosing a mid instead versus not using the wizard because you can't push it out to 250' reliably. I would say that if you can't go out and get your putter to go 250 with accuracy, then the biggest improvement to your game you could make would be to learn to do that. Just my .02.

That does sound like a blast. If it was me I'd bring an elx, or and classic roc, they feel better in/coming off my hand than putters on the tee.

Someone should have a one and done type tourney around here.

On wooded courses, for me at least, I find that my putter is the most important disc. I need something that I can approach with really well. I'll agree that most of the stable midranges out there are alright for putting, but I've found that they aren't that great for approach shots, unless it's over 200'.

I'm also willing to bet that for most AM divisions, just hitting par in a 1 disc tournament will leave you sitting pretty good at the end of the round. I'd think that hitting birdies wouldn't be nearly as important as not getting bogies.

Dont know the course. But id probobly go with a broken in Roc.

discmonkey42 said:
I agree that a mid is the best choice usually for one disc rounds (I'd use a BuzzGT personally). There is something to be said, though, for being able to use the wizard but choosing a mid instead versus not using the wizard because you can't push it out to 250' reliably. I would say that if you can't go out and get your putter to go 250 with accuracy, then the biggest improvement to your game you could make would be to learn to do that. Just my .02.

I think your right, but wouldn't 250ft be max putter distance for most people?

I just think the average golfer would be better served with a beat roc. I think to get 250-300 out of a putter you need a good amount of height, which is usually not possible in the woods.

I think on a short open course,a putter would be ideal. I sure would like to be able to hit 250 reliably with my putter. I think now I'm at 200golf D and 300 max D with my wizard. Maybe I just need to go practice more :lol: :x

I don't have the arm to get a wizard out there yet; hence, I would use either a dx buzz or a beat up cyclone.

I would probably use the cyclone, but I am more accustomed to putting with buzzes (that's how I beat em up).

domromer said:
I think your right, but wouldn't 250ft be max putter distance for most people?

I just think the average golfer would be better served with a beat roc. I think to get 250-300 out of a putter you need a good amount of height, which is usually not possible in the woods.

I think on a short open course,a putter would be ideal. I sure would like to be able to hit 250 reliably with my putter. I think now I'm at 200golf D and 300 max D with my wizard. Maybe I just need to go practice more :lol: :x
I can throw my Cryztal Challenger or Wizard 300-325 on a golf line; 6-12ft high, straight line, very little fade.
I guess I could get more distance with more height, but I've never really tried.

We're all saying the same thing. You want a disc you are comfortable throwing 225-275ft. on a straight and/or controllable line.
For some that's a putter, for others a mid or driver.

Depending on the course, I'd chose an E Wizard (av hole < 300) or brand new X Comet (av hole > 300).

ferretdance03 said:
We're all saying the same thing. You want a disc you are comfortable throwing 225-275ft. on a straight and/or controllable line.

The difference between 225 and 275 is pretty big for most players. I think for most, the 225 is in putter range while the 275 is more of a midrange shot.

ferretdance03 said:

Actually, I'm suggesting that you'd want to consider a disc that you are comfortable putting with and throwing under 200' since you'll be doing that once or twice per hole at least. I'd imagine it would take a pretty specific layout to skew the numbers enough to make it worth throwing something longer at the expense of your putting and approach game.

Im thinking that it would have to be my slightly beat 174 KC pro Aviar. It can drive, roll, and putt; seems like the neccesary combo to play some steady par golf, could even score a few short birds if you could hit a nice putt or throw it far.
What NJ course are you guys talking about?

Furthur said:
ferretdance03 said:

The difference between 225 and 275 is pretty big for most players. I think for most, the 225 is in putter range while the 275 is more of a midrange shot.
Maybe, but 50ft is a putt still isn't it?

So we're not saying the same thing, but I'm saying I'd take a putter.

Furthur said:

That's true, especially on a wooded course that makes you temper your shots. Which layout they choose to play makes the difference. There's no sense in choosing a putter for the putting control benefits if you're consistently 50' short of the pin. Trying to muscle the putter an extra 50' out of your comfort range often results in getting intimate with a tree within the first 100' of the tee.

According to bigs they will likely go with a mixed layout of A, B and C pins with about an equal number of each. For me that says midrange. The C pins are very difficult 3s and 4s with the whole bag; having to face them with a putter would likely mean more 5s and fewer 3s. I doubt I can reach many B pins with a putter so again edge goes to the mid. The only reason for me to use a wizard is for the A pins which account for one third of the course and really a roc really isn't a bad disc even for those especially if you can putt with it.

Finally another factor is the conditions. I don't know how much snow they have left but I live about 90 miles a way and we still have about 5-6 inches that is predominantly hardpacked ice. The temps are expected to rise but I anticipate a sloppy slush and mud mix come saturday. Combine that with the hilly terrain of Tyler and your average distance will be way down from the norm. How far do you guys throw a putter while wearing boots standing in a mud/slush mix throwing with your back foot 9 inches below your front foot? By the way make sure you don't hit your hand on that tree on the follow through...... that could hurt.

Latest posts