• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One disc for "party situations"

gameboy9

OK, here's the situation. One of these days, I'm going to have a whole bunch of people come over to my place, and I want to show them the game of disc golf. Unfortunately, I'm sure a lot of those people don't want to spend $10 for a disc. Sure, they can buy a $2 frisbee, but I'd rather them experience the real thing...... and I don't know if those $2 frisbees are legal to use anyway.

So, I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have for "one disc in a bag" discs; one for those who are good at throwing a frisbee, and another for those who may be throwing a frisbee for the first time. For the record, I will probably use the Innova product, but I have an open mind. :)

Thanks for any help you might have! :)

Yeah, I was thinking about that thread as I wrote this, but for the newbie reason, I thought that a separate thread would be better.

Meanwhile, thanks for the suggestion... I had one of those and I thought they did well. And then I lost it... grrrrrr...

I've found that the Wolf tends to be a pretty good disc for beginners. All the people I've gotten into the sport usually pick up a disc or two at the local sporting goods store (Dick's) and end up with Wolves a lot of the time due to the limited selection. They seem to work pretty well for them.

I am a player(addict) that lives in a disc golf dead zone so I have been trying to introduce the sport to just about everybody I know, and have been buying discs that are intended to be loaners for new recruits. I am also still very much a novice player myself, so I feel I can give some good advice on this topic.

I started with a couple of wolves and these were great at first but are now beaten badly and turn over easily. I agree with Tim though, if a potential future junkie is looking to buy a new disc of his own I would not hesitate to suggest a wolf, I would not however buy them as loaners. The aero is one I own and works great as a loaner for a first timer your going to take out to a rec. course. If your taking a newbie out on a "real" course though I would suggest a straight flying mid-range. I have an elite-x buzzz that new players love to throw. The Buzzz can be used by a beginner from anywhere on the course and I think is a great disc to use when introducing a new player to the game. A Roc would also be a fine choice but (at least for me) is more overstable then the Buzzz and therefore harder for a beginner to control.

I gree with the overstable thing too for beginnners. Innova Roc or Discraft Stratus is where my vote would be. I have Roc's and Status' to give out as my loaners, as I do that often.

Thanks for all of your help so far! :)

Hmmmm... it looks like the plurality of the votes so far is for Aeros and Rocs and Wolves... I actually might bend toward the Aero because there's no turn or fade according to Innova, so it should work for LH and RHs alike... but I should see if there any more opinions first...

Thanks for all of your help so far! :)

Hmmmm... it looks like the plurality of the votes so far is for Aeros and Rocs and Wolves... I actually might bend toward the Aero because there's no turn or fade according to Innova, so it should work for LH and RHs alike... but I should see if there any more opinions first...

No matter what you choose, it is a great thing you are doing brother! :cool:

If you are willing to stray from Innova, a Discraft Comet is an excellent disc for beginners.
Otherwise I'd throw another vote out there for the Roc.

I'm just a youngster ay DG myself, but even I have taken out a few of the disc golf 'uninformed' and I always give them my Cheetah, Wolf and Magnet. This combo seems to be my 'Guest Set' and allows them to have a pretty good time.

2 suggestions
1) when I began playing I couldn't throw anything without a severe hyzer. a nice local guy saw me and handed me a worn in Polaris LS (Millenium). It literally changed my life. Great newbie disc.
2) A DX Kite is a driver/midrange hybrid, small diameter, and in DX plastic is not very expensive. Flies relatively straight as well.

I agree with what everyone is saying - overstable discs = bad for newbies, especially for those who cannot throw even a Frisbee. I have been working hard on trying to get other people to play and the Aero is the disc that I have had the most success with. It flies kind of like a Frisbee, so it is familiar to the thrower. I would steer clear of drivers and work on slower, understable mid-range discs... or really worn stable discs.

Just a side note, my first disc was an Aero, so it is what got me started.

Most any putter or midrange would be good for new guys. I really would not recommend shotting with fairway drivers and normal drivers to begin with. The sharper rims just take way more control to even throw a mediocre shot, at least for a person new to the sport.

I would say something like an Aero, Roc, Aviar, Coyote, Shark, Wolf....etc..

Aero would be my first pick. It just has a lot of glide and won't punish a new player on a bad shot like some of the other disc. At least give them so confidence.

Great discs for beginners:

DX Coyote

DX Shark

DX Cobra

Discraft Stratus

DX Stingray

Innova XD

I met a family of 6 at my local course one day. None of them had ever played before and they all had DX Stingrays. They had a great time.

I would also really recommend the XD. Its almost a putter/midrange in one and has a flight rating of HSS-0 and LSS-0 so it flies dead straight for the most part.