• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One of those "whoh" days

Carl311

So ive been working with my mids and putters these past few weeks to work on my form, and I had a crazy realization yesterday: I am out driving holes by 15 feet with my mids that I used to fall 15 feet short of with my drivers!

So I guess my form has been getting better or something. I can pretty much get to every pin with my mids, and with much more accuracy than my drivers. Needless to say, im sticking with my gator, wasp, and buzzz for the foreseeable future! Im excited about this too, as my mid game has always been very accutate. I love my mids.

Question: when i go back to drivers for long bombs, they should be going farther right?

So ive been working with my mids and putters these past few weeks to work on my form, and I had a crazy realization yesterday: I am out driving holes by 15 feet with my mids that I used to fall 15 feet short of with my drivers!

So I guess my form has been getting better or something. I can pretty much get to every pin with my mids, and with much more accuracy than my drivers. Needless to say, im sticking with my gator, wasp, and buzzz for the foreseeable future! Im excited about this too, as my mid game has always been very accutate. I love my mids.

Question: when i go back to drivers for long bombs, they should be going farther right?

Keep shaping your form with the discs you mentioned but when you're ready to step up to drivers, don't jump to the high-speeds. Work on Teebirds, Gazelles, Leopards, etc.

In other words, learn to crawl before you learn to walk.

Stick with your mids until you get them close to 300'. You might only get an extra 20' with drivers if you have not learned to throw nose down. Mids are less sensitive to nose angle, but once you get your mids to around 300' you will have solid form. Then throw fairway drivers and work on throwing nose down, you can get about 100' extra or so.

Stick with your mids until you get them close to 300'. You might only get an extra 20' with drivers if you have not learned to throw nose down. Mids are less sensitive to nose angle, but once you get your mids to around 300' you will have solid form. Then throw fairway drivers and work on throwing nose down, you can get about 100' extra or so.
This is an area of contention in my mind. Why would you not want to focus on nose angle right away?

This is an area of contention in my mind. Why would you not want to focus on nose angle right away?

You can do both. Mids won't punish you as much for nose angle, but they will definitely go further with the nose down. You can also work with something like a polaris ls or cheetah that will show you the effects of nose angle, but you don't have to really crank on to throw straight.

You can do both and may be doing it from the get-go, but its just harder to tell nose angle with mids/putters while working on developing snap. You could also develop snap with understable fairway drivers. I think it just takes longer than working with mids/putters and snap is more important than nose angle. Drivers are much easier to tell nose angle when they stall and fade short nose up.

I felt a similar WOW factor myself, when I commited to working with my mids and putters and saw results. Form is a big part of it, but also just the realization (and belief) that a mid can fly 280 or more out of your own hand, not just pros and top ams.

I wouldn't avoid drivers. I do agree with working with fairways next and would avoid high speed stuff. Teebirds, Gazelles, etc as stated above are good choices. The Comet has been highlighted as a disc that is good for showing release/OAT issues, though I've not really thrown one. It's a mid, but I'm tempted to pick up a couple just for practice.

You won't learn to throw a driver by only practicing with mids, but mids will expose certain form issues that would be masked by your drivers. and vice versa, ex: nose angle. trajectory, the feel of the wider rim, etc.

You really need to go back and forth, IMO, not necessarily in the same day, or even the same week, but to learn from one and apply it to the other. I find that when my mids are going good, my drives are fair, and when I'm drivng well, sometimes my mids and putters are off. Still learning myself, it defiantely takes some time to put it all together.

Last edited:
Keep shaping your form with the discs you mentioned but when you're ready to step up to drivers, don't jump to the high-speeds. Work on Teebirds, Gazelles, Leopards, etc.

In other words, learn to crawl before you learn to walk.

Without a doubt! I have some DX teebirds 175 and 150 and a 169 leo that ill start working with when my form and D are ready. Gosh, I cant believe my buzzz is going farther than my TB!