• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Opposite of the Ice Bowl tournament Idea

Would you play in an event like this?

• Sure sounds fun

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Maybe if it was done right

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Probably not

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • No way sounds stupid

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Ya, I think playing sunup to sundown sounds pretty horrible. I usually get tired after 36 holes. I never get sore, just run out of energy. I could probably make 54 holes work, with a rest between each round and lots of food, but all day long would just suck. But that's just me personally.

Also to note, this doesn't sound like an "opposite ice bowl". It just sounds like a normal tournament... but longer. However, if there were something like fire hazards and lava pits all over the course, that would fit the name better.

Last edited:
There are 3 local courses in the city here. it would be sweet to have a one day tournament where we played all three. call it the 54 holes of fury :D

I organized an event this past year that was nearly this.

It was an "Enduro"

Three courses, best shot doubles teams, benefitting wounded warrior project.
(played on themes of endurance, perseverance, teamwork)
One big 22" long scorecard!

Group shotgun start at one course, group photo, door prizes, and as teams finished their first round, they went on to the other two on their own timetable.

Low entry costs per team, no payout, no trophies, scorecard turn in optional.
Posted notable scores after the fact via web. low overhead, low hassle, good fundraiser.

Not heat of summer, but would have worked well compared to the September date we used as we got close to running out of sunshine. We did have a cut off time for scorecards for those who wanted to turn in. Right next to the scorecard drop was a "brag board" whiteboard where you could publicize your team score if you wished.

Here in NorCal we have the Summer Swelter in late August. Not uncommon for 105-110 temps during this time.

Ya, I think playing sunup to sundown sounds pretty horrible. I usually get tired after 36 holes. I never get sore, just run out of energy. I could probably make 54 holes work, with a rest between each round and lots of food, but all day long would just suck. But that's just me personally.

Also to note, this doesn't sound like an "opposite ice bowl". It just sounds like a normal tournament... but longer. However, if there were something like fire hazards and lava pits all over the course, that would fit the name better.

Yes I agree opposite of ice bowl doesn't really work...it is more like a summer solstice disc golf marathon.

The object is to spend the whole day discing. Instead of how you shoot the goal is unique holes played as a way to keep score.
Been there, done that. Even kept score the traditional way while I was at it.

qoyw01.jpg

I'm trying to arrange a route for this year that would get me over the 200 mark.

I think a fun route in the Pittsburgh area would be starting at Moraine and the heading south on interstate 79 all the way to fairmont WV. Would be a great day playing some fun/challenging courses on the way.

If you really want to make it the opposite of an Ice Bowl, you should collect fees from each player, find the wealthiest person in your community, and deliver the pot of money to this individual after the round. Perhaps take a group picture as you deliver the check in the conservatory as the in-house orchestra plays dramatically in the background.

Yeah I guess a more accurate description would be ice bowl like event in the summer specifically on or near the longest day of the year in which charity is the major benefactor of disc golfers playing all day.

I think I've heard of tournaments called the summer solstice and I do believe that's the longest and the year.

So you could always just call it the summer solstice Bowl. I know it seems little lackluster but it definitely does the job.

The other thing you could do besides counting holes is using the course info to calculate total distance and compare it to a marathon and group people into how much of a marathon of disc golf they completed...ie I imagine no one would do more than a half marathon 13.1 miles of disc golf that day all the way down to a tenth or even twentieth of a marathon. Disc golf marathon kind of has a certain ring to it.

If you really want to make it the opposite of an Ice Bowl, you should collect fees from each player, find the wealthiest person in your community, and deliver the pot of money to this individual after the round. Perhaps take a group picture as you deliver the check in the conservatory as the in-house orchestra plays dramatically in the background.

What are you getting at with this comment?

Been there, done that. Even kept score the traditional way while I was at it.

qoyw01.jpg

I'm trying to arrange a route for this year that would get me over the 200 mark.

DAMN scarp, that's a serious day! tip 'o the hat to you.

if you went to a 2 day weekend event you might have someone actually do the whole marathon....thats alot of golf.

Which is a better way of keeping track distance or holes played?

I have one that is close to this tournament called Big Guns, it is 8.25 miles of thrown distance over a two day span. Its in missouri in August, last year saturday was 92 and sunday was 100 degrees. The air was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Ah missouri summer :wall: why do it do this every year :wall: :confused: It is an Insanely fun tournament doubles saturday and singles sunday.

Which is a better way of keeping track distance or holes played?
Holes played is a lot easier. Distance would encourage people to try longer courses.

I'm kind of the opinion of why limit your achievements to one category.

- Most holes (you can lap the same course all day if you want)
- Most distance (you can play the same course or move around)
- Most holes in a 24 hour period (what time you start is when you stop 24 hours later)
- Most golfing distance divided by least driving distance between courses (adds a route planning aspect)
- Most distinct holes (a hole can only be played once)
- Most distinct configurations (a single tee-pin setup can be played once, but if a hole say, has two tees, you can play it twice, provided you play the opposite tee the second time around, same rule with pin positions)
- Balancing act. You can spread your total holes played amongst 2, 3, or more courses, but you have to complete an equal number of holes at each course. So say you do three 18 hole courses and plan to throw four rounds at each. You get through the first two courses okay, but at the third one, you run out of daylight, or energy after three rounds. Since you only completed 54 holes at that course. You can only count 54 from each of the first two (adds a time management aspect).
- Dawn till dusk. Most distinct holes or most distinct configurations with an added constriction. You cannot start until civil twilight time at your first course, and must stop by civil twilight time at your last course. Any hole not completed at the moment that time hits doesn't count.
- Bring a buddy. Any of the above categories, but you must play with another person for your stats to count. That person can change throughout the day.

Absolutely.....lots of categories and you can even do this as teams.....might be more fun that way. You could have different teams of players in the same region or you could have a team from all over the country. You could even split dgcr into 2 distinct teams east vs west, north vs south. 2 competing states or cities.....so many different ways to do this. You could even try to get national sponsors who would donate based on all participants. Imagine total holes played by all discers that day.

Holes played is a lot easier. Distance would encourage people to try longer courses.

I'm kind of the opinion of why limit your achievements to one category.

- Most holes (you can lap the same course all day if you want)
- Most distance (you can play the same course or move around)
- Most holes in a 24 hour period (what time you start is when you stop 24 hours later)
- Most golfing distance divided by least driving distance between courses (adds a route planning aspect)
- Most distinct holes (a hole can only be played once)
- Most distinct configurations (a single tee-pin setup can be played once, but if a hole say, has two tees, you can play it twice, provided you play the opposite tee the second time around, same rule with pin positions)
- Balancing act. You can spread your total holes played amongst 2, 3, or more courses, but you have to complete an equal number of holes at each course. So say you do three 18 hole courses and plan to throw four rounds at each. You get through the first two courses okay, but at the third one, you run out of daylight, or energy after three rounds. Since you only completed 54 holes at that course. You can only count 54 from each of the first two (adds a time management aspect).
- Dawn till dusk. Most distinct holes or most distinct configurations with an added constriction. You cannot start until civil twilight time at your first course, and must stop by civil twilight time at your last course. Any hole not completed at the moment that time hits doesn't count.
- Bring a buddy. Any of the above categories, but you must play with another person for your stats to count. That person can change throughout the day.

It's a neat idea, but I don't want to kill all the kcal disc golfers. As we get closer to the summer solstice we spend most of our time close to sundown or with glow rounds, or very early morning. No body wants to pay to disc golf in the middle of the summer days here.

Guys I think this idea has run it's course for me. I am going to try something fun on summer solstice but I don't see how it translates into a tournament at all. Maybe a better approach can be thought up by someone else. As for me I'm trying to pick a route that day that has me playing 6 18 hole courses in one day with some of my disc golf buddies. I still think the general idea of an ice bowl like event in the summer would be cool but this train of thought doesn't seem to lead there.

Latest posts