• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] Orion LF 1.1 Mold

Alcuin

Eagle Member
This might be an obscure question, but what is the 1.1 OLF composed of? I've heard Wraith top and Firebird bottom, but then I also heard that the 1.2s and 1.3s are somehow molded differently. (But shouldn't they be 2.1s and 2.2s then according to Millennium's naming scheme?). So what's the difference in mold between the runs of OLFs?

I love my 1.1s and 1.2s. A fresh 1.1, a seasoned 1.1, and a seasoned 1.2 cover most of the shots where I'm not throwing a Teebird.

I believe the 1.1 OLF is the original Teerex top with a firebird bottom

The current runs of OLF for the past few years have been wraith/FB

Obscure Millennium questions are our specialty :)

are the 2006 worlds biggest 1.1 solf's the flat zipper topped variety?
I can confirm that they are. 2006 for sure, and I'm inclined to think 2007 as well, since it was an early Spring stamping run, and the earliest 1.2s I recall were more late Summer/Fall 2007. ZJ is correct about the SOF/QOF and SOLF/QOLF markings -- 1.1s have 3 letters, 1.2s have 4 letters.

We were just talking about the mold config -- I've not seen the original original Teerex top, as they were apparently made in such small numbers. He owns one and will bring it in soon.

The source for the Wraith+Firebird configuration "factoid" is directly from me, several years ago while I was Marketing Guy at Millennium. I trust ZJ's eye for mold parts and I don't doubt his assessment at all, but we're still gonna check out this Teerex together. I'm curious about its similarity to the Wraith top and won't be surprised to find I was wrong years ago :)

The first shoulda-been-2.1 configuration of the OLF came out in light weights of the 1.2 MOLF, and by 1.3 MOLF I think all weights were using it. That exact mold config was once tested by the MILL crew as a possible Orion LX. The distinguishing feature is that it has an abrupt flat-shelf-shoulder top, like you see in modern Teerex and Xcal. I always assumed it was the modern Teerex top for the 2.1 mold.

Honestly I haven't seen a new-production SOLF in a long time so I'm sticking to my recollections from 2006-2008 when I was at MILL.

Last edited:
Ive seen some odd SOLFs in the shop this year, archon ish top, maybe the xcal type top you were talking about. Either way, odd. Thoughts or insights?

Ive seen some odd SOLFs in the shop this year, archon ish top, maybe the xcal type top you were talking about. Either way, odd. Thoughts or insights?
My #1 insight is this: Academy picked up the SOLF sometime between 2009 and 2011... these days I bet only 5-10% of SOLFs produced are reaching mainstream disc golf channels. Each run is lasting/shipping for a much shorter span than years past.

Modern SOLFs are cycling through runs and inherent variations at a pace more on par with the average Innova sleeper driver.

Also, run numbers stamped on MILL discs are never to be trusted with absolute certainty. Production needs > number-stamping accuracy. You may have to get deep into characteristics (i.e. buying from a fellow LF-head) to ensure a particular type.

I'm sitting here looking at a zipper top orange 1.1 QOLF and a 1.1 SOLF (marked QOF and SOF) and a milky white 1.2 QOLF (marked QOLF). I can see there are differences, but my eye is not attuned enough to the minutiae of disc parts to know what they are.

I'm really interested to find out about the Teerex top on the 1.1s. I've been saying all OLFs have Wraith tops for as long as I've thrown them, which was when my local shop had all their Millennium discs on closeout and I bought nearly everything they had (it was 50% off after all).

I'm sitting here looking at a zipper top orange 1.1 QOLF and a 1.1 SOLF (marked QOF and SOF) and a milky white 1.2 QOLF (marked QOLF). I can see there are differences, but my eye is not attuned enough to the minutiae of disc parts to know what they are.

I'm really interested to find out about the Teerex top on the 1.1s. I've been saying all OLFs have Wraith tops for as long as I've thrown them, which was when my local shop had all their Millennium discs on closeout and I bought nearly everything they had (it was 50% off after all).

Just my honest opinion

1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 QOLFs all have different tops. 3 different tops - or just 3 different ways it molded. Not sure but they all fly different. To make it confusing, there are later run 1.2s in the same mold as 1.3(the 1.3 came out this year). The 1.1 and early 1.2s to me were more Teerex top, possibly a couple different teerex tops as that disc changed

I only have anecdotal knowledge, having adopted OLF's earlier this year.

Two of my SOF's are stamped 1.2, the other is has a mild dome and tackier/softer star plastic (similar blend in my first run SJLS), but nothing like the 1.2 QOLFs or 1.3 SOLFS in terms of dome. The others are 1.1 stamp or "Worlds Biggest" - I don't recall the year on that one.

1.2 QOLFs are actually really nice, a gradual dome and firm, lightly pearly champ plastic - pretty o/s, great in strong wind if you have room to turn/fade. I only put it in when it's really whipping windy.

1.3 SOLFs... man. these things are salad bowls. I've lucked into one that wasn't a total pop-top, and it's pretty beefy, good into 15mph winds and my usual o/s disc that I'll grab if I don't quite need a Firebird. The other I have is domey enough to slow down pretty quick/act overstable in calm, but also get pushed around by the wind since it doesnt cut through at all. Useless!

Okay i have some more random-obscure questions.

I got a white factory stamp white 'SOLF' that doesn't have a run number in the stamp. It is also flat and zipper-topped. What run is it?

I got a bunch of white "Innova Factory Second" stamped 'SOLF' that are not zipper topped. Assuming these are 1.2s?

I have a bunch of factory stamped white zipper top 1.1's that are 'SOLF'.. are these 1.1s? or 1.2s?

I have a handful of SOF 1.1 and loved them, just recently took them out of the bag. The biggest thing I can say about the 1.2 and 1.3 SOLF runs I've seen, is that the nose of the disc is a little taller, almost a spacer added in. I can not tell you if the tops are different, I am just ZAM and zj are correct since they have insider knowledge about the discs. The 1.1's all turn a little more out of the box for me then later runs with the same huge fade. A lot of people like me prefer the 1.1's over any other run.

Okay i have some more random-obscure questions.

I got a white factory stamp white 'SOLF' that doesn't have a run number in the stamp. It is also flat and zipper-topped. What run is it?

I got a bunch of white "Innova Factory Second" stamped 'SOLF' that are not zipper topped. Assuming these are 1.2s?

I have a bunch of factory stamped white zipper top 1.1's that are 'SOLF'.. are these 1.1s? or 1.2s?

nevermind the first question it is a SOF.

what do i have, and what can i expect?

i have read through this about 5 times, and dont see my answer
so i will just ask it

just picked up a SOLF 1.2
bottom is marked S-OLF (weight is 164g)

what is this baby made from? and how stable will it be?
i use an opto saint for most of my drives
i bought this thinking it would be a more stable disc
but inbounds has them as being very similar

sorry for the bad side view pic

Attachments

• 2013-06-29_19-16-14_752.jpg
    2013-06-29_19-16-14_752.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 2013-06-29_19-20-26_709.jpg
    2013-06-29_19-20-26_709.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2013-06-29_19-19-18_332.jpg
    2013-06-29_19-19-18_332.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 44
so i will just ask it

That is the exact color scheme and stamp of my favorite SOLF. Mine is 172 so I don't know if your will be the same. Mine started out almost Predator overstable and quickly developed some turn. It is now my most used driver in the bag. I wish I could find more. If it is like mine, it is of the early runs of the 1.2s and is distinctively different than the later run 1.2s and 1.3s.

so i will just ask it

It's a second run OLF. It will start out overstable, and develop a little turn in time. Then again, I've been using the same QOLF for about a year, and it still doesn't turn. Excellent disc for a headwind or a long straight drive that you know will fade every time.

I know this isn't an OLS thread, but there's no need to start another thread when I know there's a lot of Millennium knowledge going on in this one.

So, I'm going to see if I can work with OLSs again, and put two in my bag. One is a 1.1 QOLS with the barstamp, and it's marked QOLS. The other is a 1.3, but it's marked S-OS. The latter is noticeably more understable than the QOLS. So are those markings correct? Do I have a first and third run in the bag, or is the S-OS a different run? I seem to remember hearing that there was some mis-marking of stamps with the OLS.

1.2's tend to have a blunter looking nose than the 1.1's, which look more rounded.

I have a few 1.1 and 1.2 SOLFS and QOLFS I can take comparison pictures of. White, orange, purple, FR's, zipper tops, tourney stamps etc.

I wish finding a good olf was easier. They are one of the best discs ever, but it can be a pain at times...