• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] OS Fairway

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Hey guys, here's another one of these threads, sorry I guess. :popcorn:

Looking at branching out from Innova stable fairways. Presently I bag a combo of firebirds (FAF and production star) and a recent run (read: not super beefy) star thunderbird. The star firebird is what I would call "workably overstable" for my lower armspeed, and the thunderbird is my go-to for distance in windier conditions, or when I just need a longer teebird shot in calm conditions.

The only rub is that I'm not a huge fan of forehanding the thunderbird. I throw a wraith for FH distance and a mortar/AX3 for approach. I would not mind trying a fast fairway that could replace the thunderbird as my longest control driver while also being more comfy for FH.

I am looking at the 1.85cm rim GYRO discs, including the tesla and wrath, and thinking I could replace the firebird with a motion or fireball. I doubt the FAF firebird will be kicked from my bag any time soon, but for what it's worth, what's a good GYRO replacement for one? What about a more workable firebird too?

I used to throw an Avenger FH and liked it, but liked the wraith just a little better for distance, and never liked to throw the avenger BH. I haven't tried a vulture - maybe a vulture/predator could fill the thunder/firebird slots? Does DC even have a wicked OS disc to match a FAF FB these days? I would ideally not like to go over 1.9cm for rim width on my utility OS disc, as 1.9 is already almost too wide for a comfortable thumber/grenade.

More workable, FAF, Axiom FIREBALL - I have a couple they are nice - not as Overstable midflight as the firebird - so a really beat firebird is similar, but the fireball has a strong late bite - its a good disc - I use max weight neutron and like it. Motion I assume is very similar but I've only used the Fireball - either is a good option -----also check out a RESISTOR as its like a speed 6 firebird, same idea - more workable but Flat as F and easy to FH - I even got a FH Ace with one and im no good at forehands! I say try a RESISTOR and FIREBALL/MOTION -

I'll second the Resistor.

I'll also throw out a Doombird as a more usably-OS fairway for those of us with less power. Less beefy than the typical FB; think Sexybird instead.

and yes the Discraft Machete is like a Faster Firebird. I use it also, and its nice -- Machete is MORE OS than Fireball at least in the middle flight - the end flight are both quite OS - so Machete I'll rate 10/4/+0.5/4 - Fireball 10/4.5/0/3 Both skip but the Machete has some hyzer heat midflight and the fireball can be flexed and worked easier - both good - for reals about the RESISTOR tho, its super thin, flat and easy to handle but is OS and workable great disc, if you like OS flat discs its a must try

150 class Motion all day. Light enough to get good distance but overatable enough that it will handle any sub hurricane headwind you give it.

I am not a fan of the Fireball. Thrown with lots of spin, it will fly straight until it runs out of steam and just fall out of the sky.

If seems to work fine for those whom throw with more speed than spin though...YMMV

Hey guys, here's another one of these threads, sorry I guess. :popcorn:

Looking at branching out from Innova stable fairways. Presently I bag a combo of firebirds (FAF and production star) and a recent run (read: not super beefy) star thunderbird. The star firebird is what I would call "workably overstable" for my lower armspeed, and the thunderbird is my go-to for distance in windier conditions, or when I just need a longer teebird shot in calm conditions.

The only rub is that I'm not a huge fan of forehanding the thunderbird. I throw a wraith for FH distance and a mortar/AX3 for approach. I would not mind trying a fast fairway that could replace the thunderbird as my longest control driver while also being more comfy for FH.

I am looking at the 1.85cm rim GYRO discs, including the tesla and wrath, and thinking I could replace the firebird with a motion or fireball. I doubt the FAF firebird will be kicked from my bag any time soon, but for what it's worth, what's a good GYRO replacement for one? What about a more workable firebird too?

I used to throw an Avenger FH and liked it, but liked the wraith just a little better for distance, and never liked to throw the avenger BH. I haven't tried a vulture - maybe a vulture/predator could fill the thunder/firebird slots? Does DC even have a wicked OS disc to match a FAF FB these days? I would ideally not like to go over 1.9cm for rim width on my utility OS disc, as 1.9 is already almost too wide for a comfortable thumber/grenade.
This was posted a couple days ago. Keep in mind that Moose has a power FH that most people do not have, lol...

I threw together a random travel bag and picked a Motion as my main FH Driver. The 167 Neutron I have was less OS than I remembered but darn if they don't fly far. Was routinely parking 400 ft holes once I remembered to throw it completely flat instead of a mild anhyzers.
You could pair a lighter and heavy motion to cover your needs.

Resistor is definitely a great disc.

Hard to understand how a Thunderbird is not comfortable when a Firebird is--same rim/wing on both.

I know you are asking about MVP, but for FH specific then Felon is pretty much split the difference between FB and ThB with a flat gummy grip. It won't be nearly as long as the Thundy for BH especially, but in FH I feel they have a very long straight carry with speed, and the fade kind of dumps it late so it's easy to range. If you turn them over they hold like crazy and pick up a lot of extra distance, but you don't need to aggressively flex it like a FB...just tilt it over and drive it hard. I do think a good Thunderbird is at least as HSS, if not moreso than a Felon, with a glidier fade. But the Felon pushes straight for so long, and I do think it has a touch more speed, so it acts good for FH. It is not OS enough to be your utility or all headwind pure hyzer disc, but also not glidey enough to be a long control driver. But it is very good for placement and line drive FH's.

I bag a Predator and have messed a bit with a Thunderbird and Tesla. You probably don't want a Predator. I like it for BH, but it has a weird sharp rim that I and many others find uncomfortable for FH. The Tesla might be worth a try. For me it flies about the same as a Thunderbird while being noticeably flatter.

I'll second the Resistor.

I'll also throw out a Doombird as a more usably-OS fairway for those of us with less power. Less beefy than the typical FB; think Sexybird instead.

I love my doombirds. The '18 Sexybirds are almost identical to the DBs. Both are a little more understable than firebirds. The DBs have become my go-to drivers, for sure.

I know nothing of gyro. That being said a comfortable replacement for the Thundy slot is an OLF. the MOLF is flatter(1.3 run) and easy to comfortably FH.

OP, have you tried a Volt? I know it's not as OS or as fast as some of the other discs mentioned but it seems to fit your desires. I love it FH as a control driver, per your description. Best disc I have for hitting lazer beam lines.

Latest posts