• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

overloaded terms: more stable

tmahan

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So we can all get on the same wavelength here;

a stable disc is one that flies straight with little fade or turnover

given this, a disc that is more stable than another will fly straighter

Obervations;

folks tend to say 'more stable' when they really mean 'more overstable, ex - a Monster is more stable than a Roc. (I'm guilty of this)

The opposite can also be true, an overstable disc may become 'more stable' after it gets beat in. (this is actually correct)

Or am I the only one that gets confused here? :confused:

overstable and understable are descriptors of two ends of a spectrum. around here "stable" is interpreted as right in the middle.

^^ What he said. I've never really had an issue with this aspect of DG terminology. Pretty straightforward.

a stable disc is one that flies straight with little fade or turnover

Wrong. A stable disc resists turnover but does not necesarrily have little fade. The more stable a disc is the more fade it will have.

in my mind:

Stability and Overstability are the same qualities. the only differences being quantity.

If you could add stability to an existing understable disc you could, in effect, arrive at overstability.

unless there is a special magical powder they have the happens to be called "OVERSTABLE" that they add at the factory, there really isn't another explanation that works for me and my brain.

I always thought it was like this:

OVERSTABLE-----STABLE-----UNDERSTABLE
so you would say something like:

Banshee-----Teebird-----Leopard
Where banshee = more overstable than teebird, but teebird = more stable than banshee
but I may be completely wrong, as this confuses me too

Discs are either:

Stable: Will not turnover
Not Stable: Will turnover

It's not quantitative.

For RHBH, thrown flat:
Overstable --> Tends to dip left at speed
Understable --> Tends to dip right at speed

Stable --> Tends to hold the line you throw it on.

The opposite can also be true, an overstable disc may become 'more stable' after it gets beat in. (this is actually correct

That is much more confusing to say to other golfers who will be like " How did your Firebird become more stable when it got beat it, it should have gotten less stable when it got beat in". I think saying less stable works better in this instance.

I think that when you are comparing one disc to another saying one disc is "more stable" than the other makes sense no matter the stability of the comparing discs. When talking about a certain disc saying that it's "stable" means fairly straight.

The opposite can also be true, an overstable disc may become 'more stable' after it gets beat in. (this is actually correct)
I'd say that is not correct at all because when someone says "more stable" or "less stable" the "over" and "under" are implied and easily deduced from the context. The way you're saying it goes against that and I've never heard it used that way.

Or am I the only one that gets confused here? :confused:
The only time it's really ambiguous is when someone says a disc is "stable" without saying it's more or less stable. Otherwise I've found it's very clear as to what they're talking about. I use the word "neutral" if I mean little turn and little fade.

Originally Posted by tmahan

That is much more confusing to say to other golfers who will be like " How did your Firebird become more stable when it got beat it, it should have gotten less stable when it got beat in". I think saying less stable works better in this instance.

I don't disagree but I just saw an example of this on a thread this morning. If you really want to pick nits your statement should read "it should have gotten less overstable when it got beat in", or "gotten more understable" (the former is probably best in this case).

So you guys are trying to say that an overstable disc is not stable. That's pretty silly.