• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Overstable disc for intermediate player

ballz017

I was hoping I could get recommendations for an overstable driver to put in my bag. I consider myself an intermediate player. So any suggestions on the best overstable driver for intermediate players would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

What are you throwing now for your fairways and how are they behaving?

I would say MVP Resistor. It is very similar to ^ Banshee ^ but is ALWAYS flat.

What do you mean by overstable? Like beefy disc that hooks real hard, or just a straight flyer that wont turn with a longer flight and has a reliable fade at the end?

If you want a good core mold that is over-stable in the sense that it doesn't turn over easily i would recommend a Legacy pinnacle Rival fairway driver, or at most an Innova Thunderbird control driver.

If you want something beefy that will fight any wind and always hook/fade early and hard then a Banshee fairway or a Firebird control driver would be a good choice.

I would stay away form distance drivers till you can throw over 400' consistently

Last edited:
I would stay away form distance drivers till you can throw over 400' consistently

Yet another "expert" offering some of the worst advice to be found here. Let me guess, you'll also advise that people don't throw anything faster than a TeeBird if they can't consistently hit 350? Is it also your advice to not throw anything faster than a Roc if you can't consistently break 325? How about a putter if you can't hit 250?

People have different games. Drivers have benefits for those who can't consistently break some arbitrary distance. I mean, how many people actually consistently throw over 400? Give me a break.

Yet another "expert" offering some of the worst advice to be found here. Let me guess, you'll also advise that people don't throw anything faster than a TeeBird if they can't consistently hit 350? Is it also your advice to not throw anything faster than a Roc if you can't consistently break 325? How about a putter if you can't hit 250?

People have different games. Drivers have benefits for those who can't consistently break some arbitrary distance. I mean, how many people actually consistently throw over 400? Give me a break.

Thank you, thank you very much . - Duncan

I echo the questions about what you're currently throwing and how the discs behave and how far they go.

You make a good point, and that is most people shouldn't be throwing Max Distance Drivers!

A Destroyer or Boss type disc will not benefit someone who cant get it up to speed over something they can actually get a proper flight out of. I have met people before that didn't even know that a disc could do more than just fade out because they were throwing warp speed distance drivers 200'. I have given away a dozen fairway/control drivers this year for free to developing players to encourage learning the flight of lower speed discs and not just the hyzer line.

My local course doesn't even have a holes over 400' and its very common to see people throwing mostly speed 7-9 drivers at league (I wonder why that is?), the majority of people i see throwing Bosses, Destroyers, etc on short holes are the newbs or casuals who don't know any better. You can call it "different game" if you want lol but if you cant get a disc out past 400'+ there's no reason to be throwing the warp speed stuff yet and that's something i learned the hard way my first few years.

I have encouraged people to try lower speed discs when they dont have the speed/power and it has ALWAYS improved their results.

I can think of more advanced cases like wind, trick shots, skips, where a max distance driver might give an advantage but the original post doesn't indicate that's what he/she is looking for so im just throwing out different things to try and get an idea of what the OP is looking for.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Word. I'll never in my life throw a legal disc a legitimate 400 ft. But if my driver is outdistancing the Valkyrie (as the Wave currently is), then it's in the bag and being used on the course in open field situations. In the woods, the Valk is my max distance driver.

Last edited:
As a non-super-power thrower, I'm also looking for that overstable component to add to the bag. Candidates are the Thunderbird, Pro SL (I finally found a Star SL, might bag it), and while I have a Firebird, I think I'd rather look at the Star Starfire.

As a non-super-power thrower, I'm also looking for that overstable component to add to the bag. Candidates are the Thunderbird, Pro SL (I finally found a Star SL, might bag it), and while I have a Firebird, I think I'd rather look at the Star Starfire.
S-PD.

Well since you have already dipped your toes into the GYRO arena, maybe you should try a motion or resistor....

What's wrong with the Firebird?

Well since you have already dipped your toes into the GYRO arena, maybe you should try a motion or resistor....

Thanks for the idea, and the other person who suggested the FD, thanks. if I ever go towards more overstable discs, I'll give 'em a look.

What's wrong with the Firebird?

Absolutely nothing is wrong with the Firebird as a disc; its excellent reputation is well deserved. However, in throws I've made with the Firebird and Starfire, the Starfire gels with me a bit more... And the SL even more than the Starfire.

We eat tools throwing their Nukes/Boss's/Destroyers 250 ft for lunch out there. They avert their eyes, hang their heads, mutter things like wow, did u see that, wtf. We say things like get out of the way, dudes disc went farther sideways then forward, can we play through?