• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Painful calluses, forehand players

Titan037

AKA dgfanatic7
Hey guys, this a question for players who play a lot and drive forehand. Have you had a callus develop on the side of your index finger? if so how do you deal with the beginning stages? If I throw too much, it will start to really affect my drives in a negative way. Right now I am using band aids to slow the pain a little but it still happens. Is there a thicker material like gauze I can securely wrap around my finger without the callus acting up? Or do you have another suggestion?

Just a dab of superglue will do, let it dry before touching the disc though! Unless you want to turn into Edward Dischands.

I feel your pain man! As a primary flicker, I've got quite the callus. If it hurts when you throw, take a day or two off to let it harden up. Work on your backhand in the mean time or try another grip.

I'd be curious to know what grip you are using as well.

Also, where are you playing at? I think weather would affect it a lot.

Final question, do your discs have a lot of flashing on them?

I'd be curious to know what grip you are using as well.

Also, where are you playing at? I think weather would affect it a lot.

Final question, do your discs have a lot of flashing on them?

In order,
Most of the time power grip, bent index finger, straight middle finger
Abilene, TX. Weather varies, but I usually don't play out in the cold
Last, no, none of my discs have hardly any flashing on them.

This happens to me, I use 1" self sticking bandages. I might try the super glue thing though.

images

I've been just cutting the callus off with a toe nail clippers. Every week or so for how much I play. Usually starts to catch and rip if I don't.

I can see where this could be a pain. I throw FH but I already have the callus from using a knife at work. When I started playing again it did bug a bit but I just kept playing through it. Then one day I didn't notice it.

In order,
Most of the time power grip, bent index finger, straight middle finger
Abilene, TX. Weather varies, but I usually don't play out in the cold
Last, no, none of my discs have hardly any flashing on them.
Where does the rim pressure rest/sit on your finger?

I used to have some pretty gnarly callus issues, especially in the winter. I did a couple things that really helped:

1) used medical tape, not the stuff pictured above, but the stuff that looks like white tape. That was really nice, but it was tricky getting the right "tightness". Too loose, and it would come off, too tight and it was uncomfortable to flex my hand to grip my disc.

2) learned how to backhand.

I have these weird "blood vessel" things that pop up under my callous. It looks like black dots under the skin. I have tried medical tape but its too finicky and I often overtighten. The self stick tape is flexible and thick enough to where you dont feel anything.

Honestly I have been trying to ease into my callous, if that makes sense. I carry the tape with me but only use it when it starts to sting and I can see the vessells starting to develop. Hopefully this will make the callous to get thicker. I hate using the tape but it keeps me consistent because I am not thinking about the pain.

I have a pretty thick callus that freaks some people out. When it was developing I played through the pain. There were times when it was a bloody mess but it didn't bother me. Par for the course, as they say.

People in this thread don't understand why your skin calluses apparently. They're there for a reason.