• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Pairing Driving Putters Together

DiscinFiend

* Ace Member *
I only want to carry two driving putters in my bag but I'm having trouble choosing which two putters to pick. What stability of each putter works best to cover most (if not all) putter shots? Disc recommendations?

There are many good driving putters out now. I would find someone who has one I am interested in and see if I couldbo rrow it for a round.

My personal favorite is the Anode though. I prefer beadless putters and it has plenty of hss for driving.

Why two? Personally I'd say get an premium plastic pure and call it a day.

I only want two because I like carrying as few discs as possible. My bag is perfectly set besides drving putters (obviously). Also I only have room for two putters (not including my putting putters) in my Grip & it will be maxed out.

What do you want out of a driving putter? How will you be using it?

I use Ions, and drive them both FH and BH and use them for short rollers. I also have a Crosslap Credo I like to carry for certain drives and approaches.

I think you should start with one like my Ion that you can shape lines with and reliably drive and approach with nice and straight. Then from there decide if you want massive OS, slightly more OS, or flippy. Personally I have a very strong short range FH game so flippy putters and mids aren't as useful to me as they are a BH only thrower.

I really like the Opto Pure/400S PA2 combo. The Pure holds a line like a champ while the PA2 has a similar amount of glide with a decent fade (and will turn a little if you really lay into it).

I also carry a Zone and a Polecat, but they're more for approaches than drives.

I rock the Opto Pure and ESP Zone combo. Both can be sneaky long off the tee, feel similar in the hand, and hit pretty much every line across the stability spectrum.

I personally prefer to stick with one mold that starts out moderately overstable, seasons to straight, and beats in to be a nice turnover disc. For me the wizard works the best, anything similarly shaped will do just fine. The BB aviar, challenger, focus and wizard all work great for that. Alternatively, pick discs that don't tend to beat up quickly like vibram or MVP's putters. You can do fine with the ion/anode combo or with the ridge/summit combo.

I'll probably do what a lot of people will do and recommend what I prefer :D

I have every shot covered with 2 molds, but as you can see I carry 5 total putters to cover everything. One of those is strictly putting inside 30ft, so we can knock out one of the ZH Pures.

For driving, I have a puddle top esp zone for my beefiest in this slot, followed by a flat cryztal zone which is slightly less stable and has a little more glide. Following these I have an Opto Pure for everything from soft hyzers to straight, then a beat in ZH Pure for my turnovers (love this disc by the way). There has not been a single shot I have faced that one of these 4 putters did not cover, and cover well I might add. Ive never had the problem of wishing/hoping there was a slightly different putter to throw on any particular hole. During the winter months, I tend to take out 1-2 of my distance driver and will add my GL Pure to the mix which is slightly more OS than the Opto Pure...but carrying 6 putters in my bag all the time seems a little much to me......:\

And to answer your question directly...seeing as how I got off on a tangent, I would personally recommend a cryztal zone and an opto pure if you wanted only 2 putters.

I have to agreed with Mike C here. Carry a putter for overstable stuff that you know that you can crank on the tee and you dont have to worry about it too much then carry a beat in stable to overstable putter like a beat up Ion/Wizard/KC Aviar type disc.

I carry a rhyno and a beat up kc for everything putter wise off the tee. The rhyno is overstable to a point where I know what it is always going to do, and the kc is beat up to the point where it is a point and shoot.

What do you want out of a driving putter? How will you be using it?
I throw backhand & forehand about equal amounts, so I'd like a pair of putters I can throw both ways. I'd also like to be able to throw one (if not both) for short backhand & sidearm rollers for get out of trouble shots. I like to throw the slowest disc I possibly can in all situations so use my driving putters from tee to green. I use them for upshots also. Does that answer your questions?

I throw backhand & forehand about equal amounts, so I'd like a pair of putters I can throw both ways. I'd also like to be able to throw one (if not both) for short backhand & sidearm rollers for get out of trouble shots. I like to throw the slowest disc I possibly can in all situations so I to use my driving putters from tee to green. I use them for upshots also. Does that answer your questions?

If you can get your hands on a champ birdie they are actually quite nice. They are pretty neutral and lead to be more overstable than understable. Thats if you want to throw something real slow.

I carried the pure/zone combo for like 8 months. Still have the zone but right now I'm trying to work in my new wizards to cover all shots but fh(zone). I like the wizards so far because they feel just like a bb aviar which I also used for a while.

I throw backhand & forehand about equal amounts, so I'd like a pair of putters I can throw both ways. I'd also like to be able to throw one (if not both) for short backhand & sidearm rollers for get out of trouble shots. I like to throw the slowest disc I possibly can in all situations so use my driving putters from tee to green. I use them for upshots also. Does that answer your questions?

Yep. I'd get a setup along the lines of mine. One putter that will reliably go straight thrown flat in calm conditions, that you can shape short hyzers and anhyzers with, and something OS like a VP, Zone, Credo, Rhyno etc.

You'll want to become proficient at throwing both types with both throwing styles, but throeing neutral putters forehand outside of 150' takes cleaner form than most people are willing to learn. Having an OS putter makes those shots much easier because you have a wider margin of error, and OS putters can be nice for stiff headwind approaches under 150' and tend to roll a bit further than neutral putters on a FH roll, though both work in that situation.

Do you have any plastic preference? There are a lot of good neutral and overstable putters out there. We can give you suggestions all day but you'll have to find something that fits in your hand comfortably. For example I think the Anode is the best stable driving putter, but Ions are more comfortable so I pick them.

Also think about what mashnut said. Do you want to buy two premium plastic putters and rely on them holding their stability? Or cycle putters? Personally I got tired of losing all my high speed stability reliability with one bad tree hit when I used baseline Wizards, which is why I switched to Evo for my go to driving Wizard.

My personal combo is the Aviar Driver (Champion Glow) for overstable needs and the PA4 (400) for under stable point and shoot.

Latest posts