• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PANTS or NO PANTS (Shorts)

Pants OR No Pants (Shorts)

• Pants

Votes: 45 23.6%
  • No Pants (Shorts)

Votes: 146 76.4%

• Total voters
Shorts and high socks. Every time I go out and don't wear my high socks I regret it with cut up legs and poison ivy. Last round of poison ivy I used some Fels Naptha soap. Dried it right up.

http://www.prana.com/nemesis-knicker.html?color=darkkhaki

I have 3 pairs of these. Prana makes some of the best shorts anywhere... they stretch, breathe, don't get too ripped by prickers, and they wash and dry like a dream. Plus just enough pockets that are super-flat when empty, and no cargo pockets to snag on door handles and whatnot.

They have regular shorts too, in a variety of lengths, the Stretch Zion shorts (I own about 7 pairs) are excellent if you like to see your knees.

Just say no to $70 'capris' ...

I have 3 pairs of these. Prana makes some of the best shorts anywhere... they stretch, breathe, don't get too ripped by prickers, and they wash and dry like a dream. Plus just enough pockets that are super-flat when empty, and no cargo pockets to snag on door handles and whatnot.

They have regular shorts too, in a variety of lengths, the Stretch Zion shorts (I own about 7 pairs) are excellent if you like to see your knees.

These are sweet. I climb too and have always wanted to try some of these out. $70 is chunk though. Are they as durable as one would hope? I've had pockets and butt seams tear out of the patagonia shorts I used to adventure in. And north face shorts aren't as comfortable.

bought my first pair around 2005. still in the rotation. never lost a button, zipper, or had them unstitch.

I usually found mine on Steep and Cheap for around $35. then I grabbed more when they came around again. Lately I've paid full price minus my REI dividend.

I wear REI brand convertible pants most times.
Especially if going to a course I am not super familiar with.
The good part about those pants is if it gets too warm and you want to leave the legs on, you just Un - zip them a little to make some vents.

The good part about those pants is if it gets too warm and you want to leave the legs on, you just Un - zip them a little to make some vents.

I rock something like this as well, lately. I ended up finding some cheapies on sale from $15 something a pair at a Dunham's. :thmbup:

Don't care if they're cheap...Imma beat the livin' snot outta 'em anyway. :D

I wear a pair of jeans from my landscaping days. Somehow years ago I managed to rip a perfect 6 inch rectangle out of the bottom near the ankle. That little bit of ventilation is amazing! So much so that I cut another one out of the other side. I may look like a dork but it keeps me cool and poison ivy/thorn free

in the 80's

Back in the 80's when I was growing up and we were too poor to patch ripped pants... we called the holes in the knees... "air conditioning"...

this brought back that memory... necessity is the mother of invention after all...

and then... it became fashionable...

Pants :( I'm slightly allergic to some grass stuff and it feels like having a rash when I walk through higher grass. It's not a big deal but it is annoying and takes away some fun. Pants solve the problem.
Fortunately we don't have poison oak/ivy in Sweden, but I remember from my time in California that it took at least 3 weeks for me to show up and I never got it on my hands. I think it has to do with skin thickness since the rash causing oil only starts doing something in your second skin layer. So you just need some thick skin...

Depends on what the course looks like. Parkland style, shorts. Wooded, pants. Nice that I own both. :)

My last home course as relatively untamed with lots of over growth consisting of barbed and stinging plants. In 90 degree heat with 100% humidity wearing pants just wasn't doable. Shorts with high socks (soccer sock or hiking socks) to pull up in those trouble areas were the best solution I came up with. People made fun of me at first, but after a while others started following suit.

My last home course as relatively untamed with lots of over growth consisting of barbed and stinging plants. In 90 degree heat with 100% humidity wearing pants just wasn't doable. Shorts with high socks (soccer sock or hiking socks) to pull up in those trouble areas were the best solution I came up with. People made fun of me at first, but after a while others started following suit.
A lot of the guys around here wear tall socks also