Par Talk

Which of these best describes Hole 18 at the Utah Open?

• A par 5 where 37% of throws are hero throws, and 21% are double heroes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steve West

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Hello, my name is Steve, and I have a par problem.

If you are reading this thread, you may have a par problem, too.

I first suspected I might have a problem when I went through withdrawal after the "What is Par?" thread was closed. But, it wasn't until a recent bender of late-night overly long posts on unrelated threads that I realized how damaging my problem could be to others.

Taking up space in other people's threads is bad enough, but the real tragedy is: What if someone wanted to re-read something about par and couldn't remember which thread they read about it in? [Shudder]

So, I'm starting this thread as a safe place for par talk.

Please join me. Whenever you feel that need to talk about par, come here.

Whenever you feel the urge to say anything about par in another thread, just come straight here. Don't even post that you will be talking about it here. Anyone who cares will be know where to look.

Welcome to par talk. We're here to enable you.

You probably should have posted this on a golf board. Disc golfers can't even bring themselves to acknowledge that their sport partially named after a sport simply named "golf." You can't really expect them to understand par.

Is this thread only for the par-addicted?

Because I'm not, you know. I might indulge heavily in par-talk, but I can quit whenever I want.

(In fact, I've done so hundreds of times).

Par doesn't mean jack.... Only the number of times you throw does.
No par values. Less spectator interest. Less sponsor money. Pro tour doesn't survive long term. Imagine explaining to Adidas that we don't assign pars in our game because no one could figure out how to do it or decided to hide them because the scores made the sport look too easy?

I think Paar was great.
Jack%20Paar.jpg

For those of us who are lazy, you need to repost links to your articles, and a brief summary of your par model.

Does this mean that Chuck is going to start a basket mods thread?

Par doesnt mean jack.... Only the number of times you throw does.

Adding to what Chuck wrote. You're correct, if you're an am playing with your buds. Even if it's league with your buds or tournament play. As soon as you start talking about media, external sponsorships, promoting the sport to parks and cities, par or a measure of hole difficulty becomes very important.

For Paul McBeth, recruiting a sponsorship from Adidas, it's a potential point of common ground.

What I don't understand is the non libertarian approach the non par guys take to this. No one is saying, "if you don't read the par sign and do the par dance prior to driving, you can't join the PDGA." All they are saying is that if you're going to use par, it should follow rules that make it consistent across the board. That is, ignore it if you want, we're all good with that. The non libertarian guys, they're welcome to count strokes, ignore par, whine at card mates about it, and have fun all they want, but they don't have the right to tell the rest of us that par doesn't have value. It does.

Par is most important to the person who just threw a bad tee shot--apparently. because that's when people usually ask "what's the par on this one".

Amazing! :D:D:D I just realized that my group has played every single hole known to man as a par 3 for years, and I still hear this question when one of us has a shankapotomus moment.

I wish Click and Clack could host the Par Talk podcast.

gty_car_talk_Tom_and_Ray_Magliozzi_jt_120609_wmain.jpg

I need you to solve a dispute. Whenever I release my disc, I hear this loud popping noise. I think it's my fingers snapping together, but my husband says it's the disc flexing up and down. Who's correct?

It's par lady. Whenever your drive is so bad that you can't possibly come back and make par, the disc makes that popping sound.

From here somewhere in the middle ground, where par is not exactly important but where a well-designed, universally-applied par would be useful---

I can't number how many times I've been guiding someone at Stoney Hill, and been asked about the par on a particular hole. I always have to stop and think.....and I'm the one who set the par. (Even worse when they ask the par for a layout, and I have to stop and think and count).

I think the biggest discussion point is "to the green +1 shot" vs "to the green +2 shots".

The +2 shot crowd does not want par 2s and the +1 shot crowd does not want the tournament results to be like -50 to -70.

I dont care, i count throws. I find it especially ridiculous when somebody asks about par while we are playing safari-skins.

I think the biggest discussion point is "to the green +1 shot" vs "to the green +2 shots".

The +2 shot crowd does not want par 2s and the +1 shot crowd does not want the tournament results to be like -50 to -70.

I dont care, i count throws. I find it especially ridiculous when somebody asks about par while we are playing safari-skins.

Then there's the "forget the green" camp, who just wants it to be something like the expected score.

And the "the green is not the 10-meter circle" camp, who keep pointing out that the book says 2 shots from close range, not from the green, and invite us to argue what "close range" means.

Latest posts