• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Parks & Rec wants to know what the preferred DG basket is

Favorite Disc Golf Basket

• Total voters
picture of 2 colors available
42778594-e7b0-40ac-9c0d-f7ff3499de8d_zps03e1ccf3.jpg

DISCatcher Pro 28s... $325 a piece... Bright yellow bands. and comes with all the hardware. At that price, at $500 a hole, you have enough to add a practice basket and a few (2-4) long baskets to go for a gold layout and still maintain a casual layout.

I like Discatchers the best, the chains are a nice weight (yes, for catching discs), and the yellow bands make for excellent visibility from a distance.

Before people chime in about the yellow band (aka chastity belt) for causing crazy rollaways, that can happen on any basket with a high, missed putt. IMO, the pros outweight the cons.

But Jed, I don't think other baskets do cause the same rollaway. My second thought would be, the band is the only con and other baskets don't have it. Cannot deny the quality though.

You need the monkey trap as an option. Plus Russel Burns AKA "The disc golf monkey" the man who makes these baskets is a Missouri Local. Support the small guy. Did i mention he will powder coat them almost any color you want :D

Good call. I'm not sure I can edit the Poll after it's created though. I'll make sure to mention the Monkey Trap.

I think discatchers catch the best, but I've had number of discs get chewed up because of hitting the sharp top edge of the chastity belt.

Any of those baskets (with the exception of the Mach II's) catch just fine. Titans are excellent at catching, but they're also more expensive.

To me the most important thing is visibility. Discatchers are probably the best in that category and Monkey Traps can be highly visible depending on the colors you choose. You can get blades on DGA baskets to improve their visibility and they look really nice, but I'm not sure how the cost of DGA baskets + blades compare to Discatchers and Monkey Traps.

I'd recommend looking at what thus areas "norm" is. If its discatchers, then I'd say go with them. If the regional norm is Chainstars, go with that. etc.

Its a true trade off discussion on visibility vs vandalism with the yellow tops. IF wooded and other areas of the park system seem stable in regards to graffiti, then go with yellow tops if you like.

If graffiti is a real possibility in this location then by all means don't add more fuel to the fire.

I voted for all but mach 3 and gateway titan. Those two in particular just don't feel right as baskets go for me.

Personal favorite would probably be the Innova or Discraft. Nothing against the others but I love the yellow rim for spotting the basket, and the chainstar is my favorite for my putts going in.

one of my biggest pet peeves at tournaments is having to "reset" the chains on a Mach V or Chainstar. I'm not sure if it's only one of these or both that do this, but the dangling chains overlap the wrong way creating a dead spot you have to physically separate before the basket is in its true neutral position. It's annoying because when your putting is on, and you spot it, it just distracts you from your focus and adds that little inkling of doubt. "That basket is not perfect", while you are getting ready to putt can really be a pain.

I'd recommend looking at what thus areas "norm" is. If its discatchers, then I'd say go with them. If the regional norm is Chainstars, go with that. etc.

Its a true trade off discussion on visibility vs vandalism with the yellow tops. IF wooded and other areas of the park system seem stable in regards to graffiti, then go with yellow tops if you like.

If graffiti is a real possibility in this location then by all means don't add more fuel to the fire.

Methinks this is why he's asking for input. There is no norm here in KC. The closest courses around have all different types. William Jewell and Jesse James both have Discatchers, I'm pretty sure. Smithville has 3 sets of 18 Chainstars all powdercoated different colors. They're nice. Pretty sure Waterworks and Blue Valley both have DGA Mach somethings. They all seem to work equally well, i.e. none of them catch my sub-mediocre putts unless I hit dead center chains. FWIW, the park is in a really pretty countryside type area and a ways out of town, and while vandalism can happen anywhere, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem here. Not enough to design the course around it.

Let's face it, Liberty is not Rosedale or Swope Park for any of you who know the area. I live there, and while I don't think of myself this way, Liberty is kind of known for priding itself of being a bit, well, upper crust I guess you could say.

Stockdale park is a really nice place if this is actually where the course will go in. It's only about 10 minutes from my house. I've been out there quite a few times (there's a big off lease dog park and several ball fields and even a big horseshoe pit with like 10 lanes plus restrooms and parking) and thought "damn this would be a great place to put a course in" b/c of the variety of terrain. Long stretches of really open spaces for big bomb holes all the way to very wooded with lots of hills throughout. It's where the high school has cross country meets also.

Long story short, here's what you should do Pineapple. I wish I knew your ID away from this site. I'm sure we've met and I really would like to get involved. PM me if you want. Work with Rick at DGW to get the 2 best quotes you can, probably Chainstars or Discatchers at somewheres around $300 per. If $500 per hole is your budget, then for the rest of the bid include some of the great signage that other area courses have, benches, bag hangers, an extra basket for warm up and good, big poured tees. Save just a bit for the coup-de-gras. It occurred to me while I was at Stockdale once, just throwing for D cause there's so much space, that it would be a perfect place for a unique and signature feature as well.

Put up a driving range! It shouldn't take much $ to just rope off (don't even need to rope it off, really) or at least designate a tee area and put up a few yard (or foot) markers down range. It doesn't have to be poured... just a flat spot with a bit of a down slope. It could be right behind where the horseshoe area is. You could even just incorporate it into a big wide open hole, a la Blue Ribbon Pines, which is awesome. But it would be so sweet to use some of that space to put a dedicated warm up green and driving range.

If you don't spend your entire per hole allotment on getting the most expensive baskets and include it in the original bid/design then it could totally be done. It'd be unique to any course in the area and would be a great thing to include in the original design as opposed to tacking something on later in the process. That place has great potential, man. Like Blue Valley potential.

Like I said, I'd like to get involved. I'm not in KCFDC, so shoot me a PM if you think there's any way I could help out.

Get each company to put in a quote from barebones to best of the best...including signs, tee material and submit 3 for the Park and Rec to consider. If you have a preference, just tell them which way to go.

It's highly unlikely that you'll get anything better than the $325 per basket from Innova. The DGA has several options that change a price, so they'll have several options to consider.

If I could have my choice, I'd say it depends on the type of course:
I like Chainstars/DGA - out in the open.
But on a wooded course gimme Discatchers - I like to see what I'm shooting for.

Cross a Discatcher with a Chainstar and you get a Kingpin.
They're a great option you may not have been aware of. Played on them at Flat Rock Park DGC and loved everything about them; excellent visibility and they catch great.

Last edited:
Chances are if it's a Parks and Recretaion Department, they are probably not rolling in $$$. I'd look into discatchers and chainstars, the two "big guys" might be able to work out a sweet deal for a municipality.

There are a lot of really old Mach III's out there still catching discs. As far as durability, they're usually in the best shape when they get old. That's a huge factor to any municipality. Getting the money to put them in is easier than finding money to replace damaged baskets.

I haven't seen the Kingpin in person, but it sure looks great in pictures! That orange and yellow almost glows in the woods.

I forgot about the Kingpin, great basket. I did feel like it had more "gaps" that allowed cut throughs than some other baskets I've used but they look fantastic.

I'm curious as to how much the Parks & Rec folks will care about the slight and debatable differences in catching ability among top-of-the-line baskets. I'd think cost first, and then appearance, will have far more weight.

I love discatchers when I'm traveling, but I suspect the vast majority of players on a course have played that course before, so visibility may not be an issue. There are some places where the ability of the baskets to blend in with the background is a virtue---and others where being highly visible is.

Also consider shipping :) i bought my monkey trap for 350$ IMO its better then innova. I would imagine if you bought 18 he would come down a little, possibly not but it will cost you more then 25$ a piece for shipping. Springfield,MO is not that far from KC :)

Latest posts