• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Part of the Course?

soupdeluxe

Hello All
Playing Blue Lake today and to prepare for the worlds in 2014 they are working it over pretty good. Footing on this course is rough so they have brought in dirt to level out and fill in large depressions. My question is if my disc runs into or lands on one of these piles of dirt do I get relief? I see in the rule book you don't get relief from picnic tables and stuff like that as they are considered part of the course. My first thought was I would get relief but after reading the rules I'm not sure. I ended up playing from the piles FWIW. Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me. Merry Christmas
SD

I would imagine if there is nothing hazardous about the piles of dirt, ie. muddy, branches, slick/unsure footing, etc. then no relief should be given.

I did not really mention in my first post but the dirt is in piles about 3 to 4 feet high as its not been spread out yet. Not the worlds greatest footing but certainly not hazardous. I was just curious because I think in ball golf you would get relief from this?
SD

That is a good question. A local course that I played a few weeks ago had several mounds of mulch around a basket. My disc landed on top of a mound (they were 3-4 feet high). I just played from behind the mound rather than climbing it. I don't think the mulch would have supported my weight, and I was playing by myself so I never thought about a possible rules violation.

I think in a casual round amongst friends, I would ask the group what the preference would be. If it were a tournament, the TD should provide a directive one way or another prior to the start of play.

I do like the idea of dirt mounds providing an obstacle as part of a permanent design. It is a good way to add obstacles/challenge to a course that doesn't naturally have a lot of trees or elevation. In that case, relief would not be an option.

I would declare it as a hazard before the round with whomever you are playing with. Since this is not a normal part of the course and will eventually be gone I'm sure most people would be okay with this since it's construction zone.
I have played courses where they have mounds as hazards on the course, it sucked to land on one or even near it in some cases, if you went for the shot to make it over. Risk reward.

You could use them as a variation of the play as well.

Latest posts