• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth goes to discraft.

I don't really have a feeling one way or the other about what McBeth wanted, but it really makes no sense for DD to have had the resources to match or beat the Discraft deal and McBeth deciding not to talk to them. McBeth was looking to make a deal. He is friends with the owner of DD. He used to be sponsored by DD before they started their own disc line. He probably would have a higher comfort level with DD than with Discraft because of that. There is nothing that makes me think that McBeth would say "Dynamic might have the money to give me a better deal, but I'm not going to find out."

What makes a lot more sense to me is that DD reached out to McBeth and in the course of that both sides realized that DD did not have the resources to get close to the deal McBeth was getting from Discraft. So a McBeth/DD deal was never explored because they both knew there was no reason to. That makes sense to me. The fact that Rusco confirmed that they couldn't match the offer makes that seem like the story to me.

Or maybe his mind was already made up, through the agent.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2018/11/19/paul-mcbeth-teasing-discraft-move-weeks/

You pay Paul 250k a year for 4 years. Wouldn't Discraft would want Paul to throw their existing line for a while so they can maximize their investment before creating McMolds?

I'm sure they're working on McMolds already, with release scheduled for January 2019.

Sounds like Paul really wanted custom molds, not JUST monies, so that may have been the big bargaining chip that set Discraft apart from the rest.

They release a number of new molds every year anyway, so it's not like they're throwing money away on R&D with this deal.

I'm sure they're working on McMolds already, with release scheduled for January 2019.

Sounds like Paul really wanted custom molds, not JUST monies, so that may have been the big bargaining chip that set Discraft apart from the rest.

They release a number of new molds every year anyway, so it's not like they're throwing money away on R&D with this deal.

So they develop a mold for us mortals and a "Pro" version for the, well, pros. The Surge Pro (in Lat speak) would be the McSurge? They get a mold. Paul gets a mold.

Uhh...kind of, I guess. My understanding is that the "Pro" models in Trilogese are just slightly more stable/OS versions of popular molds (Ballista Pro, etc.). Similar to "X" mold variants from Innova, "OS" mold suffixes from Discraft, etc.

Useful for pros and ams alike, although certainly able to handle more mustard.

I'm probably wrong here, but I always heard the L molds were developed to counteract the increased stability of molds run in CE versus DX. The "Pro" molds were designed so a mold would fly like its non-Pro counterpart (at mortal distances) but at pro-level distances.

It would surprise me if Dunipace didn't have a one on one with Paul. Kind of a "what would you need" talk. Paul said that, instead of his agent, he had to speak to Innova. I know if I fielded an offer at another business, my employer would want to counter or something. What was he asking for that was so out of reach? This is the real story.

It would surprise me if Dunipace didn't have a one on one with Paul. Kind of a "what would you need" talk. Paul said that, instead of his agent, he had to speak to Innova. I know if I fielded an offer at another business, my employer would want to counter or something. What was he asking for that was so out of reach? This is the real story.

He apparently was asking for his own line of discs, which he's getting from Discraft, and which Mr. Dunipace might not have wanted to give him. Whatever it was, McBeast made the change and did not take the counter-offer (if there was one).

I don't really have a feeling one way or the other about what McBeth wanted, but it really makes no sense for DD to have had the resources to match or beat the Discraft deal and McBeth deciding not to talk to them. McBeth was looking to make a deal. He is friends with the owner of DD. He used to be sponsored by DD before they started their own disc line. He probably would have a higher comfort level with DD than with Discraft because of that. There is nothing that makes me think that McBeth would say "Dynamic might have the money to give me a better deal, but I'm not going to find out."

What makes a lot more sense to me is that DD reached out to McBeth and in the course of that both sides realized that DD did not have the resources to get close to the deal McBeth was getting from Discraft. So a McBeth/DD deal was never explored because they both knew there was no reason to. That makes sense to me. The fact that Rusco confirmed that they couldn't match the offer makes that seem like the story to me.

If Rusco confirmed they did not have the money etc to match Discraft's offer, there you have it, but before knowing that, my take from listening to the audio was that Paul was already pretty far down the path with Innova and Discraft and was not going to pull out from both at that point as it would leave things in a strange state with Innova and Discraft and might make Paul look a bit too greedy and opportunistic, and he probably did not want to burn too many bridges across the DG landscape.

As far as DD goes, Rusco has assembled a great group of very friendly, fun, outgoing people, Paul is a bit more guarded, not quite as bubbly as the average DDer like Eric Oakley, etc. Nothing wrong with it, nothing wrong with Paul, personality-wise I am more like Paul than Eric.

It will be interesting to see if/how the McBeth line of discs unfolds, there is a lot more to the cost than the molds and the plastic pellets, someone has to pay for the injection molding systems, etc, so if someone is going to mold them for Paul, they will need to apply some overhead for the machines, labor, facilities, power, etc.

What was he asking for that was so out of reach? This is the real story.

Based on some recent comments by Paul, perhaps the lack of transparency regarding sales of his signature destroyers was a concern. I could be wrong, but it appears he did not get any sales data to verify his royalties.

What will happen to the McPro Aviar now? . .thats the only uniqe McBeth Mould.

more of Team Innovas players are putting with the Mcpro, will thay have to change putter or will Innova rename the McPro?

Sidenote. . it´s funny that Innova have +30 putter moulds but most of the top Innova players putt with Discmania P2

??

I agree Paul is a class act but aren't Ricky n Gregg hotter atm..imo they're the ones to beat??!!

Three new / surprising things from Smashbox Paul MacBeth interview:
- Zone gives McBeth new shots
- Discs with a bead do hyzer flip
- He is bored throwing 12 years only 1 label

Can you imagine having your pay tied into sales of a product and the company refuses to give you sales numbers. Oh don't worry about how many we sold just take this check and do your job. If that's what was going on, I would look for a way out.

Has that been confirmed? Or just more speculation?

Has that been confirmed? Or just more speculation?

Paul said on Smashboxx that he was never given any sort of idea from Innova of how many discs with his name on it were sold. He just got a check monthly/quarterly.

Paul said on Smashboxx that he was never given any sort of idea from Innova of how many discs with his name on it were sold. He just got a check monthly/quarterly.

That seems crazy. I suppose if it wasn't in his contract to know the numbers...but not telling him would make it seem like they had something to hide.

I'll also take this opportunity to plug an article I wrote for Ultiworld absinthe switch. Posted it in the sponsorship thread, so ignoring you saw it there.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2018/11/21/mcbeth-wants-build-brand-will-pay-off-discraft/

Latest posts