• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Paul McBeth Malta

This seems like a strange disc. Its not glidey,fast,or workable enough to be a workhorse mid and its not overstable enough to be your beef/utility mid.
With a bead and dome, i assume it wont release as cleanly as more modern/comparable-flight mids.

I bag a fresh heavy Z Buzzz and a Dga Quake(buzzz os equivalent). The malta seems to fit in between those but i dont see a need for that.

When a normal human throws the malta, it probably flies similar to a zone...maybe a bit farther. I would rather throw the zone harder or club up in that case.

Im gonna throw one soon to see if my thoughts are valid.

I don't understand the purpose of the Malta either. You would think he would have wanted a more neutral midrange for his first mid in his lineup.

He should just throw a Wasp.

I think that was the problem. The perfect mid for his lineup IS the Wasp. It was borderline OOP when he came to Discraft.

They should have shaved a millimeter off a Wasp and called it a Malta. Or gave him the Hornet.
Instead they made a disc no one has a need for.

The Malta is one of those discs you carry for a specific hole on your local course but just sits in your bag taking up space in the meantime.

But he needed his OWN mid in the PMcB lineup. Because, you know, $$$.

I don't think he needed any new molds. He seems to throw mostly Discraft stock stuff anyway besides the Luna obviously. It would be cool to see the Hornet again though. I've wanted to try one for a while.

But he needed his OWN mid in the PMcB lineup. Because, you know, $$$.

I don't think he needed any new molds. He seems to throw mostly Discraft stock stuff anyway besides the Luna obviously. It would be cool to see the Hornet again though. I've wanted to try one for a while.

Yup. I think its a great idea to have his own lineup BUT with Discraft being so established, he has to create molds that wont be better than what Discraft already has.

The Force is the perfect driver for him. I dont think he even likes (or throws well) the Zeus for backhands.

The Luna is a Roach

The Vulture in big Z/glo flies like (and is more comfortable) the Anax.

The Hades looks like it might be a Thrasher....

His lineup would be WAY better if he did this with a smaller company. Problem is, the smaller company doesnt have the money to pay him.

His name makes these discs. But i dont feel these are quality molds.

Agree 100%. He essentially replaced the Nova backhand with the Zone forehand. A Vulture and really the Anax is/are Thunderbird replacements. I don't remember what he rolled at Innova, Sidewinder probably, but that's Avenger SS now. Agree about all the others you listed too.

The real question is why in the hell didn't he make a P McB Teebird clone? That's what Discraft needs and it would certainly sell. Predators are Discraft Firebirds too. Not that he threw Teebirds a ton but a Discraft Teebird would print money.

The real question is why in the hell didn't he make a P McB Teebird clone?

I think he will either get a Tbird like mold or the Buzzz/Undertaker/Raptor combination makes the Tbird unnecessary.

I wonder if he feels the need to throw his lineup discs? If he isnt throwing a Zeus/Malta/Luna/Hades/Anax, do they still sell as good?

I think the only hope that the Malta becomes popular is if they make it in a jawbreaker type plastic and make it flat.

paul macbeth threw the rock3 you would think he would have just created his own plastic blend and had the wasp in that slot

the smaller diameter malta just seems forced

whatever tho its all speculation and at the end of the day hes dg rich either way whether the mold is solid or if it sucks

Yup. I think its a great idea to have his own lineup BUT with Discraft being so established, he has to create molds that wont be better than what Discraft already has.

The Force is the perfect driver for him. I dont think he even likes (or throws well) the Zeus for backhands.

The Luna is a Roach

The Vulture in big Z/glo flies like (and is more comfortable) the Anax.

The Hades looks like it might be a Thrasher....

His lineup would be WAY better if he did this with a smaller company. Problem is, the smaller company doesnt have the money to pay him.

His name makes these discs. But i dont feel these are quality molds.

So I use 3 of his widely available molds (and will be trying the Hades when it is released), and find they work for me (not a Paul fanboi, but he does [to a limited degree] influence what I throw). I threw a 4x Force when they were first released and knew I needed something more US than that for workhorse distance, the Zeus (I throw a proto Kong) works well for that. I had been searching for a comfortable putter for a while, and had run out of beaded options, my buddy had picked up a Luna, I tried it and made my putting better so I ordered 1. Still bag it and a Cryztal for driving duties (both may lose their spots to the Fierce, but time will tell). I went to GMC and bought 5 TF Maltas (trying to make some $$$ to pay for the pair I wanted to keep was the idea). I still bag my thrower TF Malta, but the Wasp is better in that slot for me, while the Zone does everything else. I bag it more for windy days which don't really happen here much. I throw 2 of his sig line in the Force and Zone, both if which are predominantly FH discs for me, but I will use them BH if I need to. I've been having issues with my Thrasher and am hoping the Hades is a bit more LSS but with similar HSS. I'm basically hoping for a DC Shryke out of the Hades.

I personally feel that the non-Z Stalkers are close to a Teebird that a clone would be redundant, and the thing about Stalkers is that you can't leave them, they have to leave you.

I personally feel that the non-Z Stalkers are close to a Teebird that a clone would be redundant, and the thing about Stalkers is that you can't leave them, they have to leave you.

What non-Z Stalkers are you referring to? I picked up TI Ledgestone one but haven't thrown it yet. I've been throwing the Z but I don't know about it anymore. It doesn't fly like a Teebird at all for me. Maybe a way more cumbersome Leopard 3, but not even that. It's no Teebird though.

Also if you wanted a Discraft Shryke you could just buy an Innova Shryke. They make the best Shrykes 😉

paul macbeth threw the rock3 you would think he would have just created his own plastic blend and had the wasp in that slot

the smaller diameter malta just seems forced

Or he could just throw the Z's. Don't they only make Roc3's in champion? Same thing basically. I wouldn't complain about some more wasps in different plastics though.

I didn't realize they made them in that. Interesting spelling, it took me a second.

Threw the proto Malta a few times. Nothing about them will make me switch from my wasps. The flights were the same but my wasps imo had more glide. The Malta was had a slightly smaller diameter and was more flexible. But I've been throwing wasps for awhile now I can't see myself changing anytime soon useless the wasp goes oop. Even then I have a stockpile of them