• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PD or Avenger or Surge

Which one flies longer and better in the wind will depend on you. Can't speak to the PD but I like the Avenger ok. Flies like a less OS predator to me. I'm not a big fan of the Surge but the Surge SS in FLX plastic is something I use with a 10-15 mph headwind. Anything more and I step it up to a XXX or Blitz. Been wanting to try more Discmania stuff.

I just bought and md2 in s plastic and it is awesome. The plastic feels great the disc looks cool and it flies super straight. Its just a tad more os then a buzz and i cant decide which i like more. Im definently thinking after today that i will most like go with the pd.

I feel that the PD and Avenger are very close to the same disc, the Avenger will probably have a little more fade than the PD. Both are good straight with fade discs, I threw Avengers for a long time and have switched over to the PD because they seem to cycle better, so I don't have to throw as many different discs.

The Surge is a wholely different disc. It is fast and has a larger rim. If you aren't getting the Surge up to speed with act more overstable therefore could be better in the wind. IMO however I would stick with the PD or Avenger for wind if your going to, and either C or Z plastic, should be beefier than Star or ESP.

beefier? as in more overstable or what do you mean beefier? i love s plastic but i havent felt c is that like champion while s is like star?

If you do decide to go with a c-pd just make sure you check the rim b/c a lot of c-pds are + rims so they definately feel different.

Stability reasons (into the wind): C-PD.
Distance reasons: ESP Surge.

I have 3 aces with Avenger's, but honestly never really suggest them to anybody. Fine disc, and I enjoyed throwing them in the past, but there's just so many superior discs to them out there. (IMO)

EDIT: sorry to sound like a braggin douchebag about the aces, just trying to show some background of how I have indeed used them yet don't love them.

I don't know much about the Avenger or the PD, but I prefer to use the Surge in calm weather.

Avenger and PD are similar. Surge is usually compated to a wraith. I will add to the PD love.

The beauty with the PD is that it flies very different in different plastics, but only one mold. My C-PD is pred/firebirdish, my S-PD is 11x teebird ish, just longer and as it seasones the LSS will fall off, and my P-PD is seasoned eagleish with good amounts of turn.

I have 3 aces with Avenger's, but honestly never really suggest them to anybody. Fine disc, and I enjoyed throwing them in the past, but there's just so many superior discs to them out there. (IMO)

What would you suggest in lieu of the Avenger? Mine does what I want it to do but for some reason I'm not thrilled with it. It's kinda like my girlfriend; It does what I want it to do, but I could go for something better. (j/k)

^^^ I would suggest Millennium QOLF or SOLF. I threw Avengers then PDs. I fell in love with PDs but the OLF kicked them out of the bag.

I've never thrown an Avenger. The PD is more stable than the Surge - and will fight a headwind pretty nicely in S/C-Line plastics. The ESP Surge can handle a bit of headwind but can be hyzer-flipped for better distance than a fresh PD.

I'm an Avenger guy through and through. I just think you can do more with them compared to most control drivers. My tie dye Z avenger does everything my C PD does. My x Avenger is a little flatter than the z line, and my Pro D is dead straight, hyzer flips and even slight annys some times. The z avenger ss is a great anny disc and roller also.

You really just gotta try em out for your self to figure what you like best.

This is how I see Avenger vs Teebird, I carry both so here it is.

The two I keep in my bag are great compliments to each other, kinda like teebird vs eagle.
Elite Z Avenger = put it on a line and for the most part, it will hold it. The low speed stability will pull it out of anhyzers to flex. Straight when thrown hard and lots of glide.
Champion Teebird = Starts off kinda like an avenger, and some teebirds will remain that way. The majority of the good teebirds have slightly less HSS, as well as LSS.

Both discs thrown on a slight hyzer will flip up flat, and glide for days. The Avenger will fade sooner than the teebird. Thrown on a steeper hyzer, the avenger won't flip to flat, but the teebird will attempt to (depending on the degree of hyzer)

Here are two hyzer shots, one of each. The degree of hyzer is roughly the same, but the shot line is different. The Avenger holds it the entire time while the teebird flips up flat and just goes straight. The Avenger is a little harder to see but you can see it as it's fading.

first = teebird, second = destroyer, third = avenger

Avenger
TeebirdvsAvenger-av.png

Teebird
TeebirdvsAvenger-tb.png

Now the few times I've thrown the PD, it seems like it's a mix between the two. It doesn't quite flip up as fast as a teebird, but it has more of the flight characteristics of an avenger. More stability, better in the wind, and faster.

This was a quote from before, the PD has taken over my avenger's spot. It's roughly the same flight characteristics but not as strong of fade. Holds a line with very nice glide, softer fade at the end.

There's Avenger vs Teebird with a comparison to PD. Surge is very similar to a wraith, depending on the plastic it can be less or more overstable. Domey ESP can glide and go super far just like a domey star wraith. Flippier than both the avenger or PD.

Latest posts