• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGCA

The idea of having a system where pros can go online and read reviews from other players for caddies is a good one.

A local player with a lot of knowledge of a course can be a real assett to someone traveling into a town.

However the notion that people pay to join this is where I SMH.

I am PDGCA #00 -- that's all I have got so far though'

team_jersey_with_custom_name_and_number_luggage_tag-r0eaeda10c5c84b4ca6e4f062cdb01a3c_fuygx_8byvr_324.jpg

If a competitor's disc goes into the woods, be sure to kick some leaves over it. Then you look like a hero when you "find" it.

You obviously don't do this with your OWN player's disc, as you could risk losing it.

A well timed sneeze could be just what's needed to put your guy in the money.;)

I joined, but I will not pay dues just for posterity sake. They are called "professional", which means to do as a profession aka getting paid to caddy.

Sorry, this isn't golf, it's nice to get a tip, some cash or plastic,but it's far from being a profession. Pro disc golfers probably couldn't survive handing out at least 10% of their payout...

...and wouldn't be interesting to see tax forms handed out with your tip.

*Paul McBeth beats the piss out of his caddie, NC man known as BrotherDave, after the caddie repeatedly tells him to throw a 360 degree chickenwing roller.*

I have had my parents as caddies before and have done some caddy work for friends when I am not playing or not yet playing. Down at the Memorial this year I did some caddy work for a gal from Colorado before my first round and during the final round. I got their business card and it seems really good at that point. Then I played a round with someone who used their service. The caddy talked like he knew everything and in reality knew nothing. He couldn't even get the hole numbers right half the time. He even held back his player figuring he knew the course and forgot about the extra added holes at Vista. I think it is a great concept. The need to do better training before using someone as a caddy.

Funny, anytime I have won a tournamnet I have not had a caddy.

In my experience a caddy is mostly just good for keeping the bag off your shoulder, which is really only significantly beneficial during long rounds/courses or during poor weather. It means less lugging and also less bending over to set the bag down, pull a disc, etc. Really saves the legs.

But beyond being a pack mule, I like my caddy to be someone I can banter with to stay loose and talk through shots and strategy with when I'm trying to make a decision. I feel like that's much easier with someone I know and who knows me than someone I "hired" for the day/weekend. Few courses have that many tricks to them that a caddy would be of more benefit to me than a single practice round and some careful observation.

If you look at caddies on the ball golf tour, they aren't usually locals that the tour guys pick up for their more intimate course knowledge. They all work almost exclusively with the same golfer and tour with them. They know their player and they get to know each course right along with their player rather than having a ton of advance knowledge.

An organized caddy group is a good idea, but I fear it might be a little ahead of its time at this stage in our sport's growth.