• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phenix Streamline disc bag review

Eric O

Double Eagle Member
My Streamline bag was delivered today. Awesome.

A full review will have to wait until I've actually used it some, but here is a little teaser until then. Size comparison photos next to a Deluxe Mini and one full shot of the bag before I put quads on and fill it up. It seems to weigh roughly a pound more than the Deluxe Mini. Chalk that up to the Line-X.

UPDATE: Review added below the photos. 7/20/09

streamlinedeluxeCompare1.jpg

streamlinedeluxeCompare2.jpg

emptyStreamlinenew.jpg

I've had a chance to put the bag through it's paces a little bit and gather some initial impressions. I did my research carefully before buying so there really weren't any surprises with the bag when it arrived. So far it meets my expectations very well. I'm not going to go over the full list of features since that information is available on the Phenix website either here or on the web page for the Core bag. Most of the details are listed on the page for the Core bag. The two products are identical except for the following: different putter pocket, larger main compartment on the Core, umbrella straps on the Core. I had umbrella straps added as part of the custom build option.

Comfort The bag rides as well or better on quads than any other disc bag I've used. It holds it's shape without a frame but curves slightly around the contours of your body when it's on your back. The locations of the quad shock mounting points are also well thought out. I ran the rear straps for the quads directly through the mounts on the bag, eliminating two annoying carabiners.

Durability The bag looks built to easily outlast the Carolina I used to have. Definitely overbuilt, like the way they used to make Benzes when I was a kid. Enough said there.

Line-X This will be the first golf bag I've had that I can set on soaking wet ground and not have the pockets soak through from the bottom and hold water. Plus, I don't have to worry about setting it down too hard on rocky ground and breaking my glass piece. No more denting my water bottle when I set the bag down, etc.

Putter pocket This is a trapezoid shaped panel attached to the front of the bag at four points by drawcord adjustable bungee. Despite it's unusual appearance it was one of the selling points of the bag for me. I like it because it can double as a compression pocket for a jacket instead of using it for discs. This leaves ample room in the other pockets for everything else.

So far it works great for me. No problems with discs falling out of it or anything, and it's easy to use. Kyle at Phenix told me he tested it out for a while with his own Cam Todds before it went into production, so there's probably no worries about things falling out of it.

Utility This is the critical part for me. Many disc bags will perform in most of the above categories with no problem, but when it comes down to everyday use, small and seemingly insignificant design challenges can drive me nuts. None of that with the Streamline so far. Everything is very well organized, and the typical problems associated with cramming a lot of different specific crap into as small a space as possible seem to have been overcome.

Examples: All discs are easy to access and go back in without any fussing. The drink holders are anchored tight to the body of the bag and they don't sway around even when full or encroach into side pockets. Side access pockets make it easy to find small items instead of rooting through the bottom of one huge storage pocket, and they keep all kinds of pens pencils etc organized and easy to find. Rain fly completely covers the main compartment, including the center storage pocket, and will actually keep contents dry instead of just a little less wet. I could probably go on but you get the idea... Good organization.

Size Pretty medium. Dogma compared it to Chimp size, which is pretty close. Think Chimp with an extra drink holder and you pretty much get the idea. Right now I keep 14 discs in it in total which breaks down into 3 putters, 3 mids and 8 drivers. That can all fit in the divided main disc compartment if I want to keep all the discs covered from weather or put a shell in the putter pocket.

Price This is where I will lose most of you who are still interested. Streamlines start at 75. Line-X is another 35. Custom build is 20. I dropped 130 before we even discuss shipping. Quality doesn't come cheap, but I'd rather be down 130 bucks than always be annoyed with my golf bag every day.

Overall I'm very satisfied with it, and I can't think of anything I'd want to replace it with. Keep in mind that I probably said the same thing about the Deluxe Mini after only a week of ownership and a year later I'm done with that bag. So take this review with no negative comments with a grain of salt. On the other hand, this bag overcomes most of the features that end up becoming a pain with a lot of other bags, so the love affair may last.

Before I wrap up... I had the bag with me tonight at the local league. Was the first time anyone besides my usual ragamuffin golf partners got a look at it. Everyone wanted to fondle it. Lots of positive comments.

what is the divider in the center good for besides dividing, i imagine you could put more discs in there but it seems strange, but overall nice looking bag

domromer said:
Crazy mang. It's a sharp looking bag. How much was it? How much does it hold? Does it have a top?

Found it here http://www.phenixdiscsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22&zenid=12b8e7a524ef763e4133db4990652564 for $75. Prime had it for $80.
Add $35 for the Line-X.

Streamline Disc Golf Bag
Starting at: $75.00
Streamline bag was designed to be a little smaller then the Core bag without cutting any of the corners. Comfortably holds 12-14 disc. Variety of colors to choose from, check drop down box for current availability. Add a new set of QuadShock back pack straps and receive and instant combo discount. Make your bag the "HardLine" with the addition of a Line-X treated bottom. See website for more information.

domromer said:
Crazy mang. It's a sharp looking bag. How much was it? How much does it hold? Does it have a top?
I'm not gonna lie, it was a lot for a golf bag. $140, ten of which was shipping.

Here's more pictures that should answer your other questions. All three photos shown below have the bag loaded with my full rig. 8 drivers one one side of the center pocket. 3 mids and 3 putters on the other side. I filled the side pockets with random junk, put a 40oz bottle in one drink holder and 2 microfiber towels in the other. The center pocket has a driclime windshirt in it.

First up with 2 more putters in the putter pocket:
streamlinePutters.jpg

Next with another driclime windshirt in the putter pocket:
streamlineCompPocket.jpg

Finally with the putter pocket empty for a full view of the rain cover:
streamlineRaincover.jpg

The rain fly is housed behind the zipper above the putter pocket. It has hook and loop around the sides and back to hold it down as well as 2 plastic buckles above the drink holders.

Coming soon eh? You tease. But I love bag reviews so I can't wait. So much so that I'll start a pre-review right now.

Here are my predictions just based on looking at it (feel free to mock me when I turn out to be wrong):

Size: Not really a mini bag like the Mini Deluxe. Falls more in the Chimp, Innova Deluxe category, just laid out differently.
Small pockets: Similar to Innova Deluxe. Velcro is faster than zippers. It also lets thing fall out the corners if the bag tips and it wears out over time.
Big pocket. Looks like a great idea, but it's hard to imagine how it won't bulge into the disc area and get in the way when it's full. Small pockets may make it so you don't have to use the middle one much except for winter clothing.
Bottle holders: Two. Which is one more than most mid-sized bags.
Line-X: A pound? That's a lot. Most bags hold up well enough on the bottom that it may be overkill.
Zip pocket by putter pocket: Useless except for paper items or it will bulge into disc/putter areas.
Putter pocket: Odd. Is that elastic adjustable across the top? If so it's a clever way to accommodate one or two putters. If not it's a way for elastic tension to be annoying to get discs in and out, or else be loose. Doesn't seem as easy to use as a traditional putter pocket. Clever to use to hold clothing, but I've lost clothing out of elastic flaps on bags before.
Price: It better kick some ass for $130. I don't mind paying that for a bag, as long as it's worth it.

Conclusion: Looks like another take on the "how do I carry adequate discs, plus gear, plus water without just getting a big bag" dilemma. There is no winner overall. They all offer pros and cons that will appeal to different people. I see this one as rare in that it has two bottle holders in a mid-sized bag, but offering similar pocket problems to the Revo Mini Deluxe. Elastic pocket does offer unique flexibility.

But I've never been in the same room with one so what the hell do I know? :D

Dogma said:
Zip pocket by putter pocket: Useless except for paper items or it will bulge into disc/putter areas.
Eric O said:
The rain fly is housed behind the zipper above the putter pocket.

It would have been clearer if I had written this instead:
Eric O said:
The rain fly is housed inside the zippered compartment above the putter pocket.

A buddy of mine has a Core with the LineX bottom... says the LineX is so tough that it actually ruined a pair of his pants - lol.

Awesome review. Thanks for writing it. I hadn't thought about the waterproof aspect of the Line-X. It's good that they do the bottom of the pockets as well as the disc compartment. I've never understood why so many bag makers don't protect the bottom of the pockets. Any chance you can weigh it? I know you said about a pound more than your DM. Was that a guess or a real weight? I don't use quads so weight is more of an issue for me than for some. Nice work exploring the land of alternative DG bags.

how fast is that rain cover thing to get out? it looks nice but i just couldn't imagine taking that off and putting it back on after every shot if your playing in the rain, i like the convinence of just flipping my zipper top over my discs on my innova comp bag...

Dogma said:
Awesome review. Thanks for writing it. I hadn't thought about the waterproof aspect of the Line-X. It's good that they do the bottom of the pockets as well as the disc compartment. I've never understood why so many bag makers don't protect the bottom of the pockets. Any chance you can weigh it? I know you said about a pound more than your DM. Was that a guess or a real weight? I don't use quads so weight is more of an issue for me than for some. Nice work exploring the land of alternative DG bags.
I don't have the proper scale to weigh it. That was basically a guess, but I tried to get a ballpark figure by stepping on my bathroom scale with each bag several times. Didn't work that well.

mickas said:
how fast is that rain cover thing to get out? it looks nice but i just couldn't imagine taking that off and putting it back on after every shot if your playing in the rain, i like the convinence of just flipping my zipper top over my discs on my innova comp bag...
The rain fly goes on pretty quick. Also you can just open the side you need instead of taking the whole thing off to get a disc out. It has been in the 90s every day since the bag arrived so I haven't had a chance to really field test the rain fly yet.