• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open, Aug 27-28

I didn't make it out to Deer Lakes but I wanted to see the pro's throw over 15's water. Did they go from Tee over water or lay up in front of the water. I have 2 disc in the bottom of that damn lake throwing from white tee's. :-(

I didn't make it out to Deer Lakes but I wanted to see the pro's throw over 15's water. Did they go from Tee over water or lay up in front of the water. I have 2 disc in the bottom of that damn lake throwing from white tee's. :-(

I wasn't there, but I can't imagine many (any) open players laying up to the water's edge (at least purposefully, whether or not the tree canopy knocked anyone down is another story) . It's only 339 feet to green center and downhill at that.

I'm pretty sure they all went for it. Of the six or seven groups I watched play it, all went for it. It's actually a very tough shot to lay up from the blue tees due to the concavity of the hillside. I lost an ace putter in the pond trying to do that, so I'm never laying up again.

I was actually surprised at how many pros did go into the pond. They threw a good mix of forehand shots and hyzer flips. I saw Nikko's first-round forehand drive come up short, Avery put one deep in the water, and Garret Guthrie go OB as well (and then chain out from the red tee for an almost circle 3).

With the basket in the B pin, there's a natural backstop, so I bet if the pros had another round or two to calibrate the distance almost none would go in the pond. I don't think I've put a drive in the water since I switched to throwing a hyzer flip with an Innova Dragon (ironic, since it's a floating disc) about ten or fifteen blue tee rounds ago, so the pros should be able to handle the pond hole pretty easily.

During the 2 rounds everyone went for it. As stated above only Averys forehand didnt make it over. His throw was high and hit one of the trees and dropped into the cat tails

As everyone stated above, it's really hard to lay up accurately. On another note, I might have to go swimming and see if i can find some discs.

As everyone stated above, it's really hard to lay up accurately. On another note, I might have to go swimming and see if i can find some discs.

hmm how many disc do you have to find to make up for the posted fine? Also that pond/lake/swamp is pretty nasty.

Please don't. It's a posted $300 fine, and the primary reason the course looks so great is that the disc golf community has a great relationship with the park manager. Going in the pond not only puts you at risk as erosion means deep nasty mud at the bottom, but it puts that good relationship with the park at risk.

And there might or might not be a giant snapping turtle that lurks in that end of the pond :)

And by that he means there is. Its taken my fishing lure

Ha! I was completing making up the snapping turtle, but it doesn't surprise that there is one there. I did see a water snake near 15's basket while prepping for the PFDO, but that's probably harmless. Looked pretty cool though swimming around in the water.

hmm how many disc do you have to find to make up for the posted fine? Also that pond/lake/swamp is pretty nasty.

Depends on how many of your found discs have phone numbers that you call to return those discs!

Latest posts