• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plastic preference?

Ya i like the pro the best, but I still finds it wears out pretty bad after a while. My pro firebird and take a rip, but other times will be all fluttery and do some weird stuff. Just got some star drivers and a set of good midranges and its really changing my game. Finding I like the star for drivers, dx z or whatever for midrange, and whatever for putters.

Also has anybody tried getting an overstable disc in baseline plastic and letting it wear in? Done that with a few and really like it. Had a dx firebird and dx teerex that still always faded back, but brought out just the right of turn really late in the flight tho. Bought a pro d force today and it was sick! Throughout the round I could tell it wearing a little bit too. Problem is I lost it :( How does the pro D plastic of discraft compare to dx?

ladysmanfelpz said:
How does the pro D plastic of discraft compare to dx?

In my experience, pro D of Discraft is extremely fragile for anything but a putter. I had a new Stratus hit a tree and fold, leaving a large crease in the disc. I also have a new pro D Buzzz that is getting a little oddly shaped after a tree collision or two.

Innova DX gets scratched, dinged, or gets little chunks knocked out of it while retaining it's overall shape. For thinner drivers or mids Discraft pro D seems to get warped or malformed rather than just dinged.

For putters the two have been the same for me. My pro D Challenger has held up as well as my DX Aviar so far.

I'm a big fan of Discraft, and love my Z plastic discs, but I will not buy anything in pro D again except a putter.

I throw ESP nukes and pro d nukes, they will be ok unless you smash a tree very hard off the box but I keep throwing em anyways but it is all about preference and arm speed. For my forehands I use champ firebirds for control and ESP flash for some distance and most folks would not. But that's what works for me not the other guy. If it works and someone tells you it's not right don't listen. Use what you like as far as pros if you are talking good pros with sponcership you are also talking limits ie discraft players can only throw discraft they may like it just fine but think about it like food you wanna only eat pizza or would you rather have pizza Mexican Italian American Chinese Indian Greek most of my friends who are sponcered will tell you mix up your bag until you can't.

Ya word. I guess do what works for you. Finding star is gonna be my reliable drivers but I think Im always going to cycle an overstable baseline plastic driver. Dx teerex, firebird and pro d force are sick. Grip is awesome and they fly overstable enough, but nothing like their premium line counterparts. I also find there seems to be turn and wear. Where discs are meant to turn they will in any plastic at the right speed. Wear is the disc beating in and it gets that soft turn way downrange. An overstable in baseline is not meant to turn, but with the right wear will start to develop that turn but it doesn't start til like 200+ ft. Thats how I lost my force. On a whole I can rarely ever reach I bombed it too far past it!! ah well at least its the cheapy plastic and I can pick up another one for not too much $

Blake has written a well based attack on what works best for an individual. At least from a perspective of trying to teach multitude of people the basics. Sure there can be short and hopefully long term benefits to getting what works now and shields from user error in the situations one faces on their usual courses and conditions. That does not mean that they'd learn to become a complete disc golfer as fast as possible with instant gratification discs. It is a matter of many topics such as world view, philosophy, proven results of teaching plenty of people etc. whether to recommend long term benefits with data on why the not immediately gratifying result may be better overall. And often is and this is where expert advice differs from less fact based recommendations.

IMO and IME the results vary from person to person based on so many factors on instant gratification or long term benefit that i gauge with my incomplete skills the commitment level and information and intelligence level plus commitment of a player and give advice based on both instant gain and long term better results depending on the person. Some aren't receptive to long term advice and some may be from another person than me. My approach varies person to person because i want them to gain, not everyone other. While i do tailor the responses to a person i also do give long term advice mostly if i'm on a public forum such as this. And i give points supporting the often not obvious long term advice in the hope that the sharper readers would benefit from the deeper analysis than ok this guy won't be able to digest real data so he only believes instant results. (Poor him).

Latest posts