• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] P2 style putter in grippy plastic

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Short: What's a close P2 style putter in a grippy, tacky slightly firm plastic, that is also available to buy like 5 of the same?

Long: I put with Classic Blend Wardens. I went through several putters and decided I liked the P2 just as it was disappearing and I couldn't buy several. So I bought two of my 2nd favorite the Classic Blend Warden until P2s returned. Well, maybe now they won't return? Who knows. So then I picked up a K3 Berg for throwing and approaches and realized what putter plastic could feel like. K3 is so nice. I don't know how it holds up, so now I want P2 putters in K3 plastic. Lol.

I have tried KC Pro Aviars and don't like the plastic. Also don't like DX (as well as DD Classic plastic), so the Aviar is out. The Alpaca is supposed to be a P2, but those plastics also seem lame (Innova plastic). I'd love to try Mellinium Omega4, but can't find those. Maybe I'm stuck with Wardens...

Yeah I'd second the warlock. Call up gateway and tell them what you want feel wise and they'll send a whole box for dirt cheap.

Plus it's a putter that you won't have to worry about stock issues…

Pretty sure the P2 plastic was the same "lame"Innova plastic? Whether old school DM, infinite, or millennium, it's all Innova plastic

If you don't like DX or KC pro Aviars, try a Yeti or JK. Should be more readily available and are much grippier than DX, KC or even Classic Blend. But they do have a bead if that's a dealbreaker.

I used to putt with Judges...and then Wardens...then JK Aviars...tried out Yeti's...back to Wardens for a bit. Then I switched to Wizards and I'm done looking for putters. So I would third the Warlock. If you can't find a Gateway plastic you like there's no hope for you.

Yeah I'd second the warlock. Call up gateway and tell them what you want feel wise and they'll send a whole box for dirt cheap.

Plus it's a putter that you won't have to worry about stock issues…

So, there's not too much stock on their site, but you think I could call and still get some? Like not all their stock is listed?

So I can't help you on the specific putter; I've held a P2 once and hated it. But I think we may like the same type of plastic.

I used to putt with Classic Medium and Classic Hard and thought they were kinda ok, CM was a bit too soft and CH was too hard and slick. I really don't jive with KC or DX.

I picked up an Electron and an Electron Soft Proxy recently and loved the plastic, it's grippy but not sticky and it has a bit of give. I'd say in terms of softness that both of them fit between CM and CH from DD. I think they recently released Electron Hard as well.

I also picked up some XT Bullfrogs and that plastic is just amazing, best innova plastic for putters I've tried by a margin.

It may be worth noting that I live in Iceland so I haven't tried any of these in more than about 55°f, but they're great in humid/rainy conditions.

Where do you buy them? The problem is finding stock.

that's a good question. I checked all of my normal retail places and none in stock.

There's really only 2 paths here - wait and get exactly what you want, or find what's in stock and buy a bunch, then stick with it. Honestly, smaller manufacturers are doing ok with stock in some areas. I tend to be able to find what I carry - but I also changed a few discs in my lineup to account for stock issues with discs that I was previously throwing.

The Warlock might be the best 'in stock' option. Or potentially the PA3

Last edited:
So I can't help you on the specific putter; I've held a P2 once and hated it. But I think we may like the same type of plastic.

I used to putt with Classic Medium and Classic Hard and thought they were kinda ok, CM was a bit too soft and CH was too hard and slick. I really don't jive with KC or DX.

I picked up an Electron and an Electron Soft Proxy recently and loved the plastic, it's grippy but not sticky and it has a bit of give. I'd say in terms of softness that both of them fit between CM and CH from DD. I think they recently released Electron Hard as well.

I also picked up some XT Bullfrogs and that plastic is just amazing, best innova plastic for putters I've tried by a margin.

It may be worth noting that I live in Iceland so I haven't tried any of these in more than about 55°f, but they're great in humid/rainy conditions.

I haven't handled XT plastic, but I just read Innova's description, and it sounds promising. I'd like more info, especially at 95F and 80% humidity...

So, there's not too much stock on their site, but you think I could call and still get some? Like not all their stock is listed?
I'm sure they have Warlocks*. It's a horribly underrated disc. They are pretty good at listening to what you say you are looking for and picking out that feel from the variety of plastics they have.

*unless the pandemic has really screwed up their inventory, which is possible.

I had XT bullfrogs and the plastic felt nice indeed, I think their new XT is like the Nexus plastic of the Firefly or very close, I could not differentiate them. That XT is harder and more grippy than the older XT of Colt and Stud I tried.

Try the DD Marshal. That's what I used before I switched to P2's (2.5 years ago now) and it was an easy transition.

The Marshal is also what Eric Oakley switched to when he left Discmania for DD.

Try the DD Marshal. That's what I used before I switched to P2's (2.5 years ago now) and it was an easy transition.

The Marshal is also what Eric Oakley switched to when he left Discmania for DD.

Isn't Infinite's Alpaca supposed to be a P2...like exactly???

Grip (and availability). I'm looking for a particular grip that DD and Infinite don't quite have, although they do have the style of putter.

It looks like Warlock is taller than Wizard, which are taller than P2, which is taller than Aviar/Warden. I will go by the Dynamic Discs store today. They have Wizards, so I'll be able to handle plastics. Hopefully they have XT Aviars to compare plastic. I'm taking the K2 Berg with me as a baseline for plastic feel.

Millennium omega4 is the same disc as the firefly, alpaca, P2. ET firm plastic is exactly what you are describing. They were everywhere about 3 months ago but not sure who has them now. This guy is probably your best bet: https://iflingplastic.com/

Latest posts