• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Best High Glide Putters?

Got another question about putters (I'm starting to actually care about putting lately, practicing more, and getting better). So I really want to dial in my putters, as I'm noticing my scores going down, JUST because of the slight increase in consistency and making some longer 20-30' putts more often in a rd.

So I'm looking to add a high glide, super straight putter to my bag, to compliment my regular putters (right now it's some old P2's) for longer distance putts. So for me, since I'm still not even a decent putter (30' or more is long to me) I rarely make putts longer than that. And my % of making putts past 20' is also very low.

And last weekend I played with a guy that had a neat putter, it was an MVP, I think it was called a Nomad? And he said it was a high glide super straight, long distance putter. So he let me try it a few times and I could tell right away that it flew different than my putters. I gave it the same amount of power as I would have for the distance and it just kept going and was super straight. I kept missing high and little right. Which makes sense, since it has more glide and is straighter than my putters. And I was very intrigued by it. And started thinking of how I could shave off even more strokes if I had a putter that went in more from longer distances. Or at least allowed me to get really close more often. I end up putting all sorts of horrible body english and bad form into my longer 40-80' putts and sometimes end up really far away and 3 putt. Which is just pathetic. So I started thinking that if I could add a higher glide super straight putter to my bag, I could shave off another 1-3 strokes per 18 holes. And another putter in place of one my many FW's or drivers would be a much smarter disc to have. I'm not going to be shaving strokes off my rd by having 10-15 FW's/Drivers in my bag. But adding a putter that helps me make 1-2 long putts, and get me close the other times will!

So I'm just looking for some good suggestions. Nothing with crazy glide that goes forever 20' past the basket if you miss. But more than the normal 3 that most putters have. So I'm thinking 4, maybe 5 glide? And also, I'd really like it to be super straight in it's flight, with almost or no fade at all. If thrown flat, it just keeps going straight.

Also, my favorite putters for feel/shape are the Pure and old S line P2's. Not too deep, but not too shallow. I love the feel of shallow discs and putters, but for some reason, shallow putters (like my Reko or Link) just aren't that consistent and I don't make that many longer putts with them. Whereas I make more putts with my P2's and my Opto Glimmer Pure (that I usually only throw with). Go figure. Also no large beads or anything that catches your finger easily. I like a putter that just glides out of your hand. If it has a small round bead that doesn't affect the release, then I'm fine with it.

The few putters I've seen so far that seem to be like what I'm looking for are the Mercy, Keystone, Nomad, Warden, and a Pilot. But I'm sure there are others.

Thanks
I feel you - I am at a similar place. I am testing tons of putters, trying to find out what works best for me from 20' on out to 50', and a bit more. Want more makes, but at the same time I want my misses to leave easy make come back putts. So far, my favorites are stacking up very much like your P2's - 2/3/0/1 or similar. One tip - hit a local DG shop or Play It Again Sports - hold the putters, see what feels good, plus, I love buying $5 used putters! I can try a lot of putters for just $5 each. I will admit, though, that I got a MVP Black Hole Pro, and while doing a lot of practice in the back yard, so far getting my throws right matters 90%, while which putting disc I use only matters 10%. On different days different putters do better or worse - I think I still need lots of work on my putting form before I can settle on a for sure favorite putter. But, for now, I like a couple used Aviar DXs, a used Soft Magnet, a Soft Banger-GT, a used MVP Atom (have a new MVP Nomad - love the look and feel of it, but so far not straight enough for me - eventually I may use it better if I settle on more curve for my longer putts, and get it honed in, but for now I am trying for straightest shots as my best chance for makes). I read that beat in putters (used) fly straighter and glide more - I think my experience is showing that to be true.

I feel you - I am at a similar place. I am testing tons of putters, trying to find out what works best for me from 20' on out to 50', and a bit more. Want more makes, but at the same time I want my misses to leave easy make come back putts. So far, my favorites are stacking up very much like your P2's - 2/3/0/1 or similar. One tip - hit a local DG shop or Play It Again Sports - hold the putters, see what feels good, plus, I love buying $5 used putters! I can try a lot of putters for just $5 each. I will admit, though, that I got a MVP Black Hole Pro, and while doing a lot of practice in the back yard, so far getting my throws right matters 90%, while which putting disc I use only matters 10%. On different days different putters do better or worse - I think I still need lots of work on my putting form before I can settle on a for sure favorite putter. But, for now, I like a couple used Aviar DXs, a used Soft Magnet, a Soft Banger-GT, a used MVP Atom (have a new MVP Nomad - love the look and feel of it, but so far not straight enough for me - eventually I may use it better if I settle on more curve for my longer putts, and get it honed in, but for now I am trying for straightest shots as my best chance for makes). I read that beat in putters (used) fly straighter and glide more - I think my experience is showing that to be true.
Lately, also like Fierce, and limited use, but starting to like Warden and Jawbreaker Banger-GT. My competition for a favorite putter is nothing less than Fierce!

One of the best straight putters is the
original Aviar Dx.
try 172, 168g
the new Innova Xero looks almost same.
suggest G Star .
if you want to be close to the basket when you miss. slowest is best. Polecat Dx
try 170g. or throw hyzer putts at the basket.
1000's of putts with the same putters. !
if you keep changing discs the learning will be slow

I have 3-4 Aviars, and 3 are DX. A heavy used Aviar DX was my main putter for a month or so, and I started to buy more, until I started doing better with a Soft Magnet. Got a second SM, and used them for a month or two, then recently started doing better with a Fierce. I have a R-Pro Zero, and I like it, plus it is often a top ten in my putter competitions, but never number one. But, right now, I have a new 173-174g Jawbreaker Banger-GT, and thrown fairly hard, with intentional spin, in limited use, it has gone straighter than anything I have ever thrown. I got Amazon delivering one more today. I plan to use it more today, and if it keeps going that straight, I already got an order planned to get 2-3 more, as well as 1-2 Banger-GTs, so I can test more of them, quicker, and if they show more of the same, then I want to get my count up to ten, so I can frequently do all of my putting practice with the same disc. Very much hoping my search for a favorite putting putter is over! I already had two Soft Banger-GTs, and while very straight at times, they are inconsistent, and misses frequently glide further past the basket than most other discs. I think the soft flexes a little too much leaving my hand, causing me to be inconsistent? So far, the Jawbreaker is extremely consistent, misses have been on my throw (not the disc, or how it releases), and misses stay reasonably close. In limited use, it checks all of the boxes as a putting putter. It won my putting competition yesterday, and afterwards, I threw it alone and made 20, 25, 30, 35, 50, and 50 (in a row, with just one miss mixed in, that I threw poorly), and then a 50 chained out, then I quit because my elbow needed rest. Normally I average 1 out of 10 from 50 feet. I will test it as an approach disc (and as my main putting putter) on my next game day. I will practice putting with it more later today, as long as I don't get rained out. Can't wait to see how it does, but if it comes even close to repeating that performance, it will be a runaway winner! Nervous/excited - at this point, I'd hate for it to fail!

Last edited:
I already had two Soft Banger-GTs, and while very straight at times, they are inconsistent, and misses frequently glide further past the basket than most other discs.

No, that's you being inconsistent. Stop switching putters for like 2 months and just learn to putt

Seriously - I switch putters more frequently that I should, but it's really impossible to tell if a disc is working for me unless I give it a couple of months. Very mild changes (like pure > bullet early this year) are easier to adjust, but when I'm testing out a switch I don't even bother using other putters for at least a month.

Believe it or not, I started playing disc-golf in 1999 (I'm now 67yo) with the putter BIRDIE (1 2 0 0). It was "lofty," and extremely "wind sensitive," - more like a "glorified Frisbee". All of my subsequent putters have since improved from this humble beginning - always seeking a putter that has high glide (especially at lower speeds), be impervious to the wind, and yet yield good distance stability.

I progressed to AVIARs (2 3 0 1) (and different plastics) and learned that a plastic that attracts & holds too much ground dirt/dust alters grip and makes it difficult to control (I have a little neuropathy in my thumb and index finger). A "Yeti" AVIAR was long my favorite, but became increasingly difficult to control. Ditto with an ION (2.5 3 0 1) and BANGER (2 3 0 1) - (the BANGER "indentation" changed the grip feel too much). I still use Innova's SKEETER (5 5 -1 1) - still in my bag! - as a favored "distance putter" when the distance from the basket is too close for a midrange and a bit far for a putter.

Today, I use two putters: Latitude 64's PURE (3 3 -1 1) - Opto plastic - and Westside's MAIDEN (3 4 0 1) - VIP plastic. Both putters act as "wind-cutters" being impervious to wind, with weights 174g-176g. MAIDEN remains my "go-to" putter, "checking off all the boxes" - though I'm still adjusting to its low-speed glide as it can easily fly past the basket! PURE works better for shorter "lob" shots and extremely "tight" turns.

Last edited:
No, that's you being inconsistent. Stop switching putters for like 2 months and just learn to putt

Seriously - I switch putters more frequently that I should, but it's really impossible to tell if a disc is working for me unless I give it a couple of months. Very mild changes (like pure > bullet early this year) are easier to adjust, but when I'm testing out a switch I don't even bother using other putters for at least a month.

Woulda saved myself a lot of time and money if I'd heeded this advice when I first started. Took me 2 years and 1000+ dollars to figure it out the hard way

I switched putters a lot until the kid who ran the pro shop at my local course taught me to putt. He showed me how to remove all of the side-to-side movement in my arm when I putt, which was a total game changer for me.

Since then its been Aviars until I switched to Omega4s which are incredibly similar, but the slight stability increase seems to give me another 5-10 of accurate range.

95% of what makes Aviars work for me is the hand-feel. I need a deep rounded putter to interface with my palm and thumb, and a flat angled rim (not concave/convex) with no bead, which pretty much makes anything I putt with an Aviar clone.

I cant putt with flat putters (cant get the thumb push/spin right) and I cant drive with domey/rounded top putters. I know people like to throw P2s, but I have _no_ talent for it. I struggle with clean release and dont have the angle control when throwing domey putters. *Edit : This might be bcz I have zero fan-grip game. All power grip off the tee.

Last edited:
I switched putters a lot until the kid who ran the pro shop at my local course taught me to putt. He showed me how to remove all of the side-to-side movement in my arm when I putt, which was a total game changer for me.

Since then its been Aviars until I switched to Omega4s which are incredibly similar, but the slight stability increase seems to give me another 5-10 of accurate range.

95% of what makes Aviars work for me is the hand-feel. I need a deep rounded putter to interface with my palm and thumb, and a flat angled rim (not concave/convex) with no bead, which pretty much makes anything I putt with an Aviar clone.

I cant putt with flat putters (cant get the thumb push/spin right) and I cant drive with domey/rounded top putters. I know people like to throw P2s, but I have _no_ talent for it. I struggle with clean release and dont have the angle control when throwing domey putters. *Edit : This might be bcz I have zero fan-grip game. All power grip off the tee.
Well, you can't say that and then hold out the key info. How did you remove all side to side movement in your arm, and I assume that means in your putts?

Last edited:
Well, you can say that and then hold out the key info. How did you remove all side to side movement in your arm, and I assume that means in your putts?
lol, sorry

It depends on your putting style, but for me this is what worked :

I have a push spin putt. I use a staggered stance with my front foot on heel and rocking to flat during the swing (did this to stop foot faulting.)

After a particularly miserable tag round, Joey (pro shop guy) took me aside and showed me how to isolate my shoulder movement.

He told me to keep my elbow swinging past my hip, and using my shoulder like a hinge swinging on that plane. No chicken winging, no moving my elbow away from my body, ever. That did the trick. Now most of my misses are high and low. Mostly probably low.

The other best putting advice I ever got was this from Calvin (reset your stance when you practice.)

Why do you think that? I putt with Keystones and for me the neutrality makes them very controllable. I actually took the Polecat out for awhile because I got good at jump-putting Keystones from circle 2+.
For me, Keystone, Pilot, Victor2 Penny - 5 glide discs - all just too 'floaty' for me. Florida wind tricky - can feel hardly any wind, but throw these putters and they can float up, start to fade, and glide way long and way left. Blame it on nose up, maybe, but this only happens to me with certain putters - mostly high glide ones.

Believe it or not, I started playing disc-golf in 1999 (I'm now 67yo) with the putter BIRDIE (1 2 0 0). It was "lofty," and extremely "wind sensitive," - more like a "glorified Frisbee". All of my subsequent putters have since improved from this humble beginning - always seeking a putter that has high glide (especially at lower speeds), be impervious to the wind, and yet yield good distance stability.

I progressed to AVIARs (2 3 0 1) (and different plastics) and learned that a plastic that attracts & holds too much ground dirt/dust alters grip and makes it difficult to control (I have a little neuropathy in my thumb and index finger). A "Yeti" AVIAR was long my favorite, but became increasingly difficult to control. Ditto with an ION (2.5 3 0 1) and BANGER (2 3 0 1) - (the BANGER "indentation" changed the grip feel too much). I still use Innova's SKEETER (5 5 -1 1) - still in my bag! - as a favored "distance putter" when the distance from the basket is too close for a midrange and a bit far for a putter.

Today, I use two putters: Latitude 64's PURE (3 3 -1 1) - Opto plastic - and Westside's MAIDEN (3 4 0 1) - VIP plastic. Both putters act as "wind-cutters" being impervious to wind, with weights 174g-176g. MAIDEN remains my "go-to" putter, "checking off all the boxes" - though I'm still adjusting to its low-speed glide as it can easily fly past the basket! PURE works better for shorter "lob" shots and extremely "tight" turns.
Odd - I use a Zero Pure as my main putting putter - very straight - but it is horrible in wind. The wind blows it all over the place - up, down, and all around. For wind, I go with Jawbreaker Banger-GT.

Good Putting Form and Practice is more important than the disc.
Got another question about putters (I'm starting to actually care about putting lately, practicing more, and getting better). So I really want to dial in my putters, as I'm noticing my scores going down, JUST because of the slight increase in consistency and making some longer 20-30' putts more often in a rd.

So I'm looking to add a high glide, super straight putter to my bag, to compliment my regular putters (right now it's some old P2's) for longer distance putts. So for me, since I'm still not even a decent putter (30' or more is long to me) I rarely make putts longer than that. And my % of making putts past 20' is also very low.

And last weekend I played with a guy that had a neat putter, it was an MVP, I think it was called a Nomad? And he said it was a high glide super straight, long distance putter. So he let me try it a few times and I could tell right away that it flew different than my putters. I gave it the same amount of power as I would have for the distance and it just kept going and was super straight. I kept missing high and little right. Which makes sense, since it has more glide and is straighter than my putters. And I was very intrigued by it. And started thinking of how I could shave off even more strokes if I had a putter that went in more from longer distances. Or at least allowed me to get really close more often. I end up putting all sorts of horrible body english and bad form into my longer 40-80' putts and sometimes end up really far away and 3 putt. Which is just pathetic. So I started thinking that if I could add a higher glide super straight putter to my bag, I could shave off another 1-3 strokes per 18 holes. And another putter in place of one my many FW's or drivers would be a much smarter disc to have. I'm not going to be shaving strokes off my rd by having 10-15 FW's/Drivers in my bag. But adding a putter that helps me make 1-2 long putts, and get me close the other times will!

So I'm just looking for some good suggestions. Nothing with crazy glide that goes forever 20' past the basket if you miss. But more than the normal 3 that most putters have. So I'm thinking 4, maybe 5 glide? And also, I'd really like it to be super straight in it's flight, with almost or no fade at all. If thrown flat, it just keeps going straight.

Also, my favorite putters for feel/shape are the Pure and old S line P2's. Not too deep, but not too shallow. I love the feel of shallow discs and putters, but for some reason, shallow putters (like my Reko or Link) just aren't that consistent and I don't make that many longer putts with them. Whereas I make more putts with my P2's and my Opto Glimmer Pure (that I usually only throw with). Go figure. Also no large beads or anything that catches your finger easily. I like a putter that just glides out of your hand. If it has a small round bead that doesn't affect the release, then I'm fine with it.

The few putters I've seen so far that seem to be like what I'm looking for are the Mercy, Keystone, Nomad, Warden, and a Pilot. But I'm sure there are others.

Thanks
Super Wookie

the best disc flys on your aim line.
if this is not common, it is the wookie.
meaning what ever you throw comfortably
on your aim line., bag it !

Polecat can be good if it is grippy.
keep an eye on Innova. maybe they will
make the R Pro Soft Polecat again soon.
it is the best flat flight , chain grabber.
if you call or write and ask for R Pro Polecat - it may help them make more.

i have several polecats, only the R Pro is in the bag.

If you like Polecat,
try the Serpent in Tar Plastic. i love it. Reptilian discs.
has a nice slow flight, grabs chains, stays close when i miss. also great for lay up.
Has nice thumb groove too!

Innova now makes very soft Aviars and Xero. innova pro shop.
Omega supersoft is good too.

Soft putters stick to the chains. add confidence. can hold hard putts too.

One player said basically pick a putter !

i agree in that if you practice this really matters. if you practice i would suggest
get a stack of putters on Innova
"F2 friday" get a stack of 5+ discs and
put in the work .

??? do you practice putting or only play ?

Form is 70% confidence 20 % disc is 10%.

if you putt foot forward form. and throw flat. you may miss high right often.
if YES , try add some Hyzer. this will cancel the high right pull.

Also learn to Straddle Putt.
Straddle requires some wrist and power but does stay close compared to flat flight putts .

Straddle can be easy inside 25 feet.
so if you miss and land inside 25 feet,
then can score high percentage 2nd putt.
Also Straddle putt with a LOT OF HYZER.
Learn slow fades and smash power putt.

Pull your left foot back as the putt gets longer. probably foot forward at 60 feet.

i have many putters.

Omega Supersoft stays close, grabs chain
My choice for competitive rounds.

Shaman- SSSS soft and diamond, thin rim killer.
all distances.

Aviar XD, great glide, but can keep going.
long putt . DX only at Innova.

Rpro Polecat. most accurate !

Tui by RPM has a bead , i hate beads but the TUI throws like there is no bead.
Magma Soft plastic for close putts.
Cosmic plastic for long putt/ approach.

Many more that live in the cardboard box.

Disc Golf is fun!
it is easier when having fun and not letting
missed shots torque the mood.

Super Wookie

If you like Polecat,
has a nice slow flight, grabs chains, stays close when i miss. also great for lay up.

i agree in that if you practice this really matters. if you practice i would suggest
put in the work .

Straddle requires some wrist and power but does stay close compared to flat flight putts .

Pull your left foot back as the putt gets longer. probably foot forward at 60 feet.

i have many putters.

all distances.

Disc Golf is fun!
I always have a hard time reading iambic pentameter.

Super Wookie

If you like Polecat,

put in the work .

i have many putters.

all distances.

Disc Golf is fun!
I don't like beads, and Soft Magnet is not in my bag because the bead causes me to be slightly inconsistent left to right, but other than the bead causing me that issue, it is a great putter. Flies straight, grabs chains decent, grabs ground well, can use for curving left or right, good approach disc. It was so close to the perfect putter for me, but I just can't release it consistently enough. I release a little left or right, and it goes straight, but straight past the basket a little left or a little right. If I could release it better, it would be the perfect putter. Anyone that likes a beaded putter, I highly recommend giving the SM a try.