• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing in the wind. Love it? Hate it?

Do you like playing in the wind

• No. Absolutly not. I want no air movement what so ever.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Kind of. It depends on the way the wind is blowing for me.

Votes: 46 33.1%
  • Hell yeah! Make it blow FASTER!

Votes: 34 24.5%
  • I have no poinion one way or the other. I just like voting in polls.

Votes: 23 16.5%

• Total voters
There is nothing like watching a seemingly flat shot fly up to 75 feet then fade out to become a wind sail and go a lateral 200'...

Something memorizing about a disc diving and lifting about 8 times in a throw...

Play with what the Good Earth gives you... I would try in a tornado if I knew it was coming... ;)

I can't vote on this because it doesn't pertain to skilled players. Wind is wind and you use equipment and throwing angles to compinsate.... all other are need lessons. Wind helps my game, it tkes the guessing to what I'm gonna throw. NOOBS take note....therefore I will not vote

I learned to hate it playing completely on courses with big trees and terrain. There was just no real way to understand the effect the swirling and gusting wind would have.

BUT, then I played in Las Vegas (Sunset is a flat and sparse desert course) in a nice steady and clean 25mph wind - and it was an absolute blast! If you know what the wind is doing you can use it to your advantage and have a ton of fun - I liken it to throwing up and down hills (breeze) or mountains (strong wind).

It can be annoying, but it's part of the game. Until they start building indoor courses, I'll have to learn to play in it or go kite flying.

I learned to hate it playing completely on courses with big trees and terrain. There was just no real way to understand the effect the swirling and gusting wind would have.

BUT, then I played in Las Vegas (Sunset is a flat and sparse desert course) in a nice steady and clean 25mph wind - and it was an absolute blast! If you know what the wind is doing you can use it to your advantage and have a ton of fun - I liken it to throwing up and down hills (breeze) or mountains (strong wind).

Thats a good point. When you play in a lot of trees, the wind might be hitting you from one direction, but 100-200' away, there might be a different direction entirely for your disc to find.

Everyone is playing in the same conditions. it is a HUGE advantage if you have a strong forehand as well, you can just low lines shots on hyzers. TeeRex TeeBird ..... now putting can get tricky but funny too.

Last edited:
Wind introduces to many elements of chance into the game. I prefer to play on calm days, but I will play even in strong winds. If I didn't, I wouldn't get to play very often where I live.

No problem with playing n the wind here. It's TX. Makes you a better player to say the least. You also get to used those discs that you more than likely don't use that often. In my case...my 2 XCals.

The gusts are what get ya in my opinion. Steady wind doesn't bother me.

Wind beats earth beats water beats fire beats...wait, no, that's not it...

Fire beats water beats...

We throw frisbees through the air. Wind is gonna kinda maybe be something you'll have to just get used to...:D

I prefer calm conditions but wind won't keep me from playing.

Really the only bonus to strong wind is that many people can't play well in it.
If you are competing, many will get weeded out.
Ya gotta understand the physics and ya need some wind discs.

I agree. Wind is the great equalizer that levels the playing field. I'm all for any advantage I can get when playing against others. I'll take some wind with a lot of rain any day of the week!

I hate it when I forget how much more understable a headwind will make my Champion Viking. When I throw it hard it turns too far to the right and goes into a pond like happened to me today. :doh: Can't blame the wind... but I don't have to like it.

I like the challenger and it makes for good practice to play in it often.

Overall i do not hate it but nothing beats a beautiful 75 degree sunny day with a gentle breeze.

Disagree. My best rounds are in a very light drizzle with absolutely still air. I prefer rain to wind. I still spend more time fighting the wind than riding it.

No problem with playing n the wind here. It's TX. Makes you a better player to say the least. You also get to used those discs that you more than likely don't use that often. In my case...my 2 XCals.

The gusts are what get ya in my opinion. Steady wind doesn't bother me.

This is how I take to the wind too. Wind is going to happen and if you avoid it but plan to play in tournaments, don't blame the wind when it blows your discs around during the tournament. You should have known it would happen.

The part about wind that I hate are the random gusts. They can come at any time and sometimes from a different direction than the steady wind. Your drive to that 360 foot basket looks good and you know the wind will guide it just right and park it, then all of a sudden you feel a gust and now your in the deep woods scrambling for a tough par.:thmbdown:

I'd rather play with no wind, but it isn't going to make me not play a round by any means.
I'll agree with some of the previous posts: a constant wind doesn't matter much to me. It is just the days with a fluxuating wind that has lots of gusts that makes me play my worst.

Also, since switching to the Ion for putting, the wind doesn't bother me nearly as much. It carries so much of its weight in the rim that it just cuts through the wind while its spinning.

A little wind is nice because I hate playing in stagnant air. On the flip side, if it's really blowing I find it a bit frustrating since I am still a fairly new player.