• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please forgive me...

paramaniac

Bogey Member
Since joining this forum, I have been wanting to try dyeing my discs. I finally got up the motivation to try it out a few days ago and have had, in my mind, pretty decent results for a noob.

I beg forgiveness now, for asking the following question:

Why not dye Pro-D plastic? I read the sticky on which discs to dye and the only reply I have seen was along the lines of "not worth it". I know Pro-D plastic is bottom of the line, but I have a few of them and figured they would be good to practice on, and yes, I still throw them with ok results.

So again I ask, why not the Pro-D? Will the dye not take? Will the heat of the water/dye solution cause warping or irreversible damage to the plastic? Will the stamp not come off?

Heres an example of my early dyes...
picture.php

picture.php

Both done on a 2012 Ace Race Disc

Cheers

In fact most all baseline plastics across the board are undyeable, or not worth the effort.

Jeff Ash can dye base line plastic and makes it look good.

Its looking like im going to be stuck in the apartment for the next day or two due to the storm, im going to try dying my Pro-D Buzzzs. i figure why not? ill be sitting around doing nothing and if i cant get out and throw a round or two, i may as well dye them!

On a somewhat related note, what's up with Rit dye? I heard they changed their dye so it doesn't work on plastics anymore. Is this true? And if it is, is there another dye out there that works?

On a somewhat related note, what's up with Rit dye? I heard they changed their dye so it doesn't work on plastics anymore. Is this true? And if it is, is there another dye out there that works?

I just did my first dyes using RIT and it seems to be holding on just fine

You cannot remove sharpie ink onced it has settled in the plastic... It gets inside the plastic and no amount of acetone changed that for me. It gets lighter but stays.

Thanks for the advice! I tried acetone and it seems to have lightened up a bit.
picture.php

as i was rinsing my latest dye attempt i realized, a little too late, that there was a blob of sharpie on the back side and its showing thru...

again, thanks all! i really appreciate the help!

Latest posts