• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poison oak, poison sumac, poison ivy, chiggers, and ticks. A great way to be misery!

I have had my first encounter with the poison oak rash. It was probably a week after I was exposed to it that the rash really showed up. I don't have any blisters with it though. I guess the oil got on the inside of my shorts, because my right thigh is covered in the rash. Also on my right shin and left calf right above my socks. I am also starting to notice it on my left thigh as well. I have kept Hydrocortizone cream on it constantly so it doesn't itch.

Anyone else get the poison ivy/oak/sumac rash without the blisters?

Anyone else get the poison ivy/oak/sumac rash without the blisters?

Me. I got a touch of the ivy on my ankle. Just a big, itchy red splotch. With as much trouncing in the woods as I do, I'm surprised I'm not covered.

I tried a couple of new products to help with this issue.

One is called BullFrog. It is in a spritz bottle and did a great job. Plus it is SPF30 sunscreen.

Believe or not Avon's Skin So Soft kept the flies, skeeters, and most other things away. Not to sure about chiggers though.
That Avon Skin-So-Soft stuff is absolutely money for Mosquitoes and gnats.

I keep a bottle of OFF! Family Care unscented in my bag. I spray my legs every time to help with the ticks, and cover myself if the skeeters are out.

I found a tick on my hip the size of my pinky (width) yesterday...freaked me the hell out...I saw it coming out of the shower and thought I had an ingrown hair or something, later in bed I was fiddling with it and realized it felt more like a mole...then I saw it had legs....ACK!!!

Nasty f'n thing. Being in a hotel room I had no tweezers either...luckily my nails had grown a bit while away from home and I was able to pull it off with them.

The area has decreased in size to less than half in one day...I will keep an eye on it though. Bad part is it is right on my waistline so my jeans, underwear, everything irritates it...couldn't figure out how it got on there and I realized this morning when I packed up to leave the hotel that my bag sits right there...mustve crawled onto me from the bag.

Needless to say my ass is gonna be sprayed down from now on.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, I didn't read the whole thread, but you're probably fine.

The little ticks are the ones that you have to worry about (AKA can carry lyme disease).

For tick removal, try covering them with liquid soap so they will back out on their own.

If I ate any more garlic, I'd be dead. :)

This must be why the ticks don't bite you, I've heard garlic is a natural repellent.

Also, you're nuts if you play DG with even the slightest risk of exposure to ticks and don't keep a prescription of doxycycline from your Dr. around. In 2001 the New England Journal of Medicine published a study, Prophylaxis with Single-Dose Doxycycline for the Prevention of Lyme Disease after an Ixodes scapularis Tick Bite, by Nadelman, et al. The study followed the results of 482 people who had been bitten by a deer tick. Half of the participants received a single 200 mg dose of Doxycycline; the other half received a placebo. The results showed an 87% success rate at preventing the development of Lyme. This study suggests a 24 hr window of time from bite to dose, but I've also read it's effective up to 76 hrs.

I check every square inch of my body after showering when I leave a course!! I've also wondered why I've gotten a tick at all when I used spray with concentrated Deet. Apparently, the Deet only deters the bite and doesn't keep the tick from getting on you. So, I'm guessing the tick will jump on even where you have sprayed and still not keep them from crawling somewhere you haven't and latching on.

A friend of mine and former pro told me he played an NC course and had in excess of 300 tick nymphs on him. He said your first thought is to run and jump in water, but that supposedly is the worst thing, because it will cause all the ticks to attach to you!

This must be why the ticks don't bite you, I've heard garlic is a natural repellent.

Also, you're nuts if you play DG with even the slightest risk of exposure to ticks and don't keep a prescription of doxycycline from your Dr. around. In 2001 the New England Journal of Medicine published a study, Prophylaxis with Single-Dose Doxycycline for the Prevention of Lyme Disease after an Ixodes scapularis Tick Bite, by Nadelman, et al. The study followed the results of 482 people who had been bitten by a deer tick. Half of the participants received a single 200 mg dose of Doxycycline; the other half received a placebo. The results showed an 87% success rate at preventing the development of Lyme. This study suggests a 24 hr window of time from bite to dose, but I've also read it's effective up to 76 hrs.

The medicine isn't preventing the disease. Ticks do not transmit the disease until they "backwash" their guts into the bite. That does not occur until after 24 hours. So if you get a tick bite and carefully pull it out within 24 hours, you have almost a 0% chance of infection. If you don't carefully pull it out by its head and squish it's body while still attached, the guts will be injected into the bite.

I hate all bugs they are nasty little guys. Mostly Mosquitos and a few yellow jacket bites. Good thing no bees I'd have to break out the epipen

got some leaches looking for a disc in water, i wasnt really mortified. my friend did have a "stand by me" experience, he was mortified.

I've been fortunate to date - no serious run-ins with poison ivy, oak, sumac...
Bugs don't really like me much, only ones that seem to want to bite me are ants...
I'm not sure we have many chiggers in FL where I play, not many ticks either...
Mosquitos don't like me much.

My wife, on the otherhand, is like a magnet for all biting insects...so I make sure to have her come along with me if at all possible. This keeps the bugs off of me.

:)

If you light a match, blow it out, and then touch the hot end of the match to the body of the tick it will recoil cause of the heat and pull out if it attached to you. That way there is no chance of not getting all of it when pulling it off.

After reading previous posts...maybe the match isn't all that great an idea.

Played a round in CLOUDS of mosquitoes the other day. We had bug spray, thankfully, but we were still swinging our discs to clear them away from our faces before throwing. It was like "Quick! Throw! Run to the next hole!". The weird part is I shot EVEN par, which I think ties my best for that course!

(don't forget bug spray if you plan to play at dusk in late spring - Riverbend Park, Oroville, CA)

Learned a LOT about ticks during the design and installation of Giles Run Meadow.

Got one of these for tick removal at REI.
ticknipper.jpg

Ticknipper info
The plier grip looking part does not close completely so you can actually pull out most of the mouth parts in a single action. I found the magnifying glass was somewhat hard to use.

Here's another one for pets which works very well and it fits on a key chain.
10410601_lg.jpg

Also tried this
o%27tom_zip_2.jpg

but you should not twist the tick during removal or you will leave mouth parts behind.

I "troll" the tick out. I make references to its lack of DG knowledge and poor spelling/grammar.

I am currently fighting off a nasty case of poison I picked up playing last weekend. Finally decided to go get a shot last night at the doctors and a prescription for steroids. I am hoping the steroids will add some serious distance on my drives.

even if you come in contact with any urushiol oil producing plants, you should be ok if you wash with soap and water within a few hours. urushiol oil doesn't bind to skin immedietly

http://mic-ro.com/plants/#Toxicodendron spp.

Toxicodendron Species in General

Anacardiaceae family (Sumac family)
Effects: Allergizing through urushiol in the resin of the plants. Through small injuries of the plant the resin can escape in low amounts from the leaf surface and from there get on the skin of a person who touches the leaf. Such small amounts can be already enough to induce an allergy. The allergen penetrates through the unhurt skin into the human body. However, the first contact remains mostly without any reaction. Subsequent contacts with a plant with any parts of the skin can induce rashes which appear right there and at the parts of the skin affected in earlier contacts. 24 to 48 hours after contact, itching, reddening, swelling, and wetting blisters use to appear. Against common opinion the liquid contained in the blisters is not an allergen and can transfer the rashes not to other people. However, this can happen by resin that remained on the skin.

The symptoms reach their climax approximately during the fifth day, then they heal without treatment in 1 to 2 weeks without leaving scars. However, secondary infections are possible if the blisters are not kept sterile. Abscesses or fever may occur then and scars can remain. If the poison gets into the eyes, severe inflammations and temporary or remaining cornea turbidity can follow. The allergy induced by the first contact usually lasts many years.

50% of the Americans react to slight contacts. Only 30% do not react at all. The poison is present in the plants also in winter, and also in dead and decaying plants. Smoke particles of burning parts of the plant spread the poison and can affect the skin and the respiratory tract. The allergen is spread easily, for example by shaking hands or via the fur of straying pets. The urushiol remains active outside the plant during at least 1 year and is not soluble in water. It is soluble in soap solution, though.

Measures: Thorough washing of the skin with water and soap as soon as possible after contact with the plant. If the skin is being washed within few hours this will likely prevent the reaction. Alcohol is unsuitable for cleaning because it accelerates the penetration of the poison into the skin. If no soap is available, the sap of Impatiens plants may also help. Rinsing the skin in flowing water is better than doing nothing at all. Rashes can be alleviated with corticosteroid ointment, while severe reaction needs medical attention. With very sensitive people it may be necessary to prevent allergic reactions with corticosteroids taken orally within 24 hours after contact. If one wants to remove Toxicodendron plants from a garden, they must be dug out with all roots.

Latest posts