• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

practice discs?

Amenz

Birdie Member
For those of you who preach simplifying the bag, keeping fewer molds and knowing them well, how many of the same disc should a person own and practice with? Also, if you practice with say....3 tls, all the same weight and plastic, which do you play with? If you always use the same one for play wouldn't it break in faster than the others?

What are your suggestions?

Depends on the drills. For putting I have 10 of the same weight and mold but play different games so I wont use them all everytime. If I'm working with one disc I take 4-8 of the same plastic and weight. If I'm line shaping I will normally just take my bag. The create your own disc packages from GGGT work really well for practice/backups.

The only discs I have specifically for practice are putters. I too have ten of them. As for drivers, I have four of my primary drivers all in the same weight. I rotate them for playing usage, but practice with all of them. I keep two in my bag, one in my backup bag (that stays in my work truck) and one in my spare disc box. I also maintain backups of my favorite mids.

I think having multiples of one disc just for practice does make a little sense in the fact that you can really get to know one type of disc/mold better then the rest. I think this is especially true for putting practice.

I think having multiples of one disc just for practice does make a little sense in the fact that you can really get to know one type of disc/mold better then the rest. I think this is especially true for putting practice.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I prefer to practice with "sets" of discs, regardless of the drill/activity. By sets, I mean same mold, plastic, weight, wear, etc. This also gives you a stash of backups.

When practicing, the only variable should be you. Make everything else as constant and consistent as possible, that way there's no questions as to what's going on.

It depends on what you're practicing. If you're just practicing technique and are trying to get things right or improve muscle memory, then, IMO, as long as you're throwing consistant discs and know what they should be doing, having the same weight, plastic or even mold isn't that huge of a deal.

Now if you're trying to get more consistant and learn how much hyzer you need for straight shots, are practicing your line shaping and stuff like that, then having as much consistancy from disc to disc as you can will help a lot.

When ever I buy discs I buy 2 or 3 of the same weight and plastic. I rotate them thru practice and rounds so they don't get beat and in practice I am able to throw the same disc a few times in a row so I know its me and not the discs when I am working on things.

For those of you who preach simplifying the bag, keeping fewer molds and knowing them well,(1) how many of the same disc should a person own and practice with? Also, if you practice with say....3 tls, all the same weight and plastic, (2) which do you play with? If you always use the same one for play (3) wouldn't it break in faster than the others?

What are your suggestions?

1. However many you feel you need. I keep one backup of a few different discs. I also have a few to replace them once they are too beat or if I've lost them.

2. All of them that you are currently using. For example I have 4 Glo Z Buzzzs. I have two in my bag and two on the shelf.

3. Yes. To avoid this, I keep them in my bag and grab them at random while playing.

I have several (7) of the same mold and weight for putting practice. When I practice any other shots, I just bring my crate-o-discs to an open field. Even though I have several backups and same wieght/mold choices, I tend not to focus on a certain disc, or even a ceratin throw. I try not to practice the exact same throw repeatedly (unless diagnosing an issue) because throwing the same shot on the course back to back is often rare. I may practice by alternating between drivers and midranges.