• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Pro vs. Champ/Star Rhyno

s3bvikingasw

Bogey Member
For anyone who has thrown a Pro and a Champ/Star Rhyno, how do they compare when used for upshots/drives? I am mostly interested in glide, and how the disc behaves after it hits the ground. I putt with a Pro Rhyno, and have no intention of changing that. I have been cycling my practice putters, which are gummier than my main putter, and I like how they have no glide, and don't skip/skid much, but I have worn all of my backups to the point they're starting to lose that overstability I depend on for windy days. I am curious how these more durable plastics fly (and land) relative to the Pro.

I was/am a Rhyno guy. Then I lost my champ rhyno. I replaced it with a Pig. Virtually the same thing. The ratings are exactly the same except Pig is a 3speed and Rhyno a 2.

That being said I owned a gummy champ Rhyno and thought it was great. I now have a Pro Pig and love it! 175. Perfect in the wind and approach shots, just like my Rhyno was.

I say Pro.I guess Champ if it feels nice, I like the gummies. I've never even felt the Star ones, that'd be interesting.

I started out playing with a Pro Ryhno. Used it for a while and bought a Champ Ryhno to try it out. I didn't use it for a couple months and forgot about it in my trunk which I swear made it really really gummy for some reason. I made alot of good putts with that disc bought went on a putting drought for a while and got rid of it. That was a while ago so i've tried out alot of different putters since then. I like less stable stuff now but basically all of my friends throw a Ryhno in star. One is pretty good with it and throws a big finesse shot. My other friend is an idiot and throws the thing sidearm at the basket for basically all of his putts. It doesn't ever turn out good.

Star Rhyno is tougher but is stiffer, as it's made from typical Star plastic. Unless you can find one of the gummy Star Rhyno's (CFR) They are almost as flexible as the Pros, but much more durable. Still overstable, but the nice soft landing.

Haven't thrown a Champ.

the champ and star rhynos are much more overstable. Its hard because of Innova's inconsistencies, the more domey and stiff the more over stable. I love my rhynos and have to hand pick them.

innova's inconsistencies really suck, i love my champ rhyno and my flat champ orc. i have not used the rhyno in any other plastic but would love to get a soft one. i have deffinently had my rhyno bounce out of the basket. i will buy rhynos untill discraft makes a better one.

I guess I'll just throw out the money and try a Star. If I dont like it, I suppose I can just keep coughing up 10 bucks every few months to keep cycling out the Pros. Thanks for the input.

If you like the overstable stuff and want to try something different, try a Zone. I bought one in Pro D a while back and use it in the wind. If you hyzer putt at all its predictable and the low profile makes it like a ryhno that just feels better in your hand.

I have a star and champ rhyno, and love them both, the champ holds a straighter line so i use it for straight putts in the wind. The star is domey and has better glide so i use it for long putts, and anhyzer approach shots. Both are 175

This may be a little off subject but I lost my pro line rhyno:doh: and cant find another one. I bought a pro and it was more overstable than mine and didnt really like it. I've checked 4 or 5 stores none of them had any. Any help would be appreciated. DISCING WITHOUT MY RHYNO IS LIKE EATING SOUP WITHOUT A SPOON:

i've only thrown 3 Rhynos.... I'll swear by them and give you some advice from what i've seen / thrown... (I currently throw a CFR "Gummy Champion" that folds like a taco on impact... it enhances the Rhyno to be what you always wanted it to be. It's like a putter that can be thrown as an approach disc. When it hits anything it stops dead.)

Rhyno -
"When you would rather throw a brick, want to lay it on the ground and keep it from rolling."
-> I use the Rhyno when i'm shooting uphill, or the pin is on a steep hill with a lot of potential for an evil long roll when the disc hits the ground.

Pro: The benefit of this disc, is that the more it gets used, the floppier it gets. Once it gets beaten in, it loses some of the rigid feel and does become slightly floppy and gains Chain Love...

Star: Couldnt tell you, it's still a rigid disc (See Champ Review).

Champ: For me, if you arent going to use a "floppy" (Pro) Rhyno you really should get a Gator. Unless you are really throwing the Rhyno hard, it will feel and throw almost exactly like a slow Gator. (eg. The Gator hits the chains, the rhyno would clank on the top of the basket.) Both will stay on the ground next to a target, have little skip or roll, and fly very similar in putting and non "hard throw" (driving) situations. To me, when thrown hard, the two are the same except the gator flies 1.5 times farther. Great for Wind and Uphill Shots. The Rhyno isnt a sidearm disc while the Gator is one of the best short range discs i've found.

(I suggest anyone to get either a Gator or Rhyno, both can be game changers for the "less than" experienced amateurs and pro players.)

Last edited: