• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Problems with Axis

I played several one disc rounds with the axis and determined it was too touchy to stay in the bag. After a few rounds to get used to it, with zero wind it was reasonably controllable, but even a light breeze destroyed its flight-path. Big fan of the vector, but I have no need for a disc with as narrow a window of usefulness as I found the axis to be. It's a little disturbing though how many on here are so quick to blame the thrower for not thinking anything MVP is amazing. Very few balanced views (thanks discspeed).

I played several one disc rounds with the axis and determined it was too touchy to stay in the bag. After a few rounds to get used to it, with zero wind it was reasonably controllable, but even a light breeze destroyed its flight-path. Big fan of the vector, but I have no need for a disc with as narrow a window of usefulness as I found the axis to be. It's a little disturbing though how many on here are so quick to blame the thrower for not thinking anything MVP is amazing. Very few balanced views (thanks discspeed).

The fact is, while the Axis is touchy, it is just impossible that ten totally different throws one after the other are the fault of the disc. Wind or no wind, the wind will at least affect all the throws in a similar way. If the throws have a lot of variation, it isn't the arrow or the air, it's the archer. Because of that, why suggest a disc that will simply hide form problems more than the Axis will?

The fact is, while the Axis is touchy, it is just impossible that ten totally different throws one after the other are the fault of the disc. Wind or no wind, the wind will at least affect all the throws in a similar way. If the throws have a lot of variation, it isn't the arrow or the air, it's the archer. Because of that, why suggest a disc that will simply hide form problems more than the Axis will?

Because conditions during tournament play are rarely ideal. I would much rather walk in with something that's a little more tolerant to both minor throw error and environment. If you want to spend time practicing with a touchy disc to tighten your form, nobody will stop you. I like to keep as few discs as possible and learn them well for both tournament and practice rounds. For me, the axis didn't fit that model. If you throw with a style that plays nice with it, I'm sure it seems awesome.

There are hundreds of available discs. The fact that we don't play equally well with all of them doesn't mean everyone that plays has bad form, just means we all have a unique style that works better for some discs than others.

I want to make sure that people know what I mean when I say the Axis can be a touchy disc...First off, touchy is not a negative thing. When I say a disc is touchy I mean it can carve lines that few other discs can with less effort, but executing some of these shots takes "touch". The Axis has a lot of glide, a touch of high speed turn, and an extremely neutral flight. These characteristics set up exceptionally poorly for people who may get a touch of OAT when releasing the Axis or those who prefer to throw hard and totally flat/anny.

I concur that it does take a cleaner release and several throws to figure out what it likes best, but once it was dialed in, the other mids in the my bag became the spot/ situational throwers.

This is so true...Only a couple of months ago I was still leaning on my Vectors a little more, but now the Axis is my top dog. It's even taken quite a few throws away from my Ions. The Axis is just so effortlessly straight. Good throws with it just feel like magic off my fingers and for some reason are more satisfying than any other disc for me right now.

It took a few throws to learn how to throw it, I only did 750+ the last weekend of which no less than 150 were with the Axis, but I was having a blast crushing them full power when I had the opportunity. I still prefer my Meteor for low powered straight approaches, but the Axis really allowed me to attack the basket.

I have been using Comets for a while now, and to me the Axis isn't as touchy as the Comet. If a Buzz and a Comet had a baby, it would be the Axis.

Good throws with it just feel like magic off my fingers and for some reason are more satisfying than any other disc for me right now.
:thmbup: Couldn't have said it better. Ironically, the Fuse is the only other disc I've thrown that I'd describe like that and it's gotten the boot lately because I've been spending time with the Axis.

My observations (Eclipse Axis):

- It bombs on clean throws. It's definitely one of the longer mids I've thrown
- It loves to fly straight as an arrow, but will hold any line I put on it
- It's a great roller disc
- The Axis no-likey the wind. AT. ALL.
- Doesn't like OAT. Finicky bastage.

All in all, lovin me some Axis. It's helping my game so much, probably more than I even know.

I've only sampled about 10 discs from the Axis mold so far but as it stands every single one of them is capable of flying dead straight on a max power throw for me, and can shape a great variety of lines. It will hold a flat release and go straight, hold hyzers for me and some nice anhyzers. I can toss it as hard or as gently as I want FH or BH and know it will hold the line I put it on. I've never had a day throwing the Axis where I felt it was touchy. My collection ranges from almost perfectly flat to pretty domey, but in my bag right now I only have a dead flat eclipse. I have never thrown an Axis I would describe as understable. I find them a little less touchy than a Comet overall, but aside from the gyro tech and the Axis being faster they're pretty similar to Comets IMO.

Just today I hit chains on a this 300' hole. Threw it real high over everything with a flat release and it held a perfectly straight line the entire way to chains despite a mild left to right wind. It's the most dependable disc in my bag for dead straight lines like that.

I found that the Axis is the Firebird of my midranges because it has so much utility. I haven't found a line yet that it didn't like. I think like all MVP you just have to get used to it a bit before you start to get the feel for what you need to do. Stick with it and like the Ion it will reward you.