• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy M4 - the good /the bad

How would you compare the Prodigy M4 to a Westside Warship or Westside Tursas?

I throw the Latitude Pain (on windy days) and Westside Warship (on most days).....thought about getting a Tursas or M4....looking for advice on which one to get.

I haven't thrown a warship a lot, but an M4 is the speed of a warship merged with the stability of a buzzz ss. It depends on the plastic, but if I recall, a warship will have more fade. I'd recommend the M4, think the tarsus might be to understand for you.

I hope they make an M6, because the M4 is not understable at all. Fights out of an anhyzer quickly. Buzzz SS is a good comparison.

The concave ones are less hss, in my experience. If you got a flat one (slight shoulder then flat) theyre a bit more hss. To me they fly like a buzz ss/meteor hybrid.

Great disc though.

There were about 15 at the store I got it from all red, all very flat, all 180g.

It will not flip up from a hyzer, and it will not hold an anhyzer turn. It doesn't fade hard, but it is very HSS.

Honestly how you people complain about how a disc flies before it's broken in is unreal. Out of the box flight is never what it flies like in 6-12 months... I bet that thing will be a hyzer flip machine when broken in... All discs get less stable with use it seems. Or maybe you don't throw correctly or with enough spin.

There were about 15 at the store I got it from all red, all very flat, all 180g.

It will not flip up from a hyzer, and it will not hold an anhyzer turn. It doesn't fade hard, but it is very HSS.

The couple i threw like that were red proto and FRs. The flippier ones ive thrown have been yellows, both 400s and 400g. Theyre not drastically different, just in the high speed section of flight they seem about .5 or 1.0 turn difference between them. The low speed portion is identical. Id chalk that up to the yellow ones having a more sunken top/less shoulder.

Who are you talking to boomer?

And it scales at 182.2g. I guess I got one that shouldn't have left the factory.

I love how people on here just accuse me of having bad form. Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

FWIW, the only M4 I've throw was a yellow proto max weight that I borrowed from someone and it had super sweet gradual turn when thrown with some hyzer at about 280-300 power. Held the turn for a while and then had a little fade at the end. I really liked it.

Honestly how you people complain about how a disc flies before it's broken in is unreal. Out of the box flight is never what it flies like in 6-12 months... I bet that thing will be a hyzer flip machine when broken in... All discs get less stable with use it seems. Or maybe you don't throw correctly or with enough spin.

Wow, no way. I had no clue discs got broken in and then fly less stable when you have been breaking them in for 6-12 months. I just thought when people talked about breaking in a disc that they actually tried to break it. I thought my form just changed so drastically that a dx roc that I put in the bag 3 years ago now turns into a roller when thrown the same. So glad my eyes have now been opened.

And im also not sure how I feel about the M4 yet. To me it is a bit touchy. Sometimes it flips alot and other times it doesnt. I have yet to find the perfect way to throw it. Was really hoping it was going to be a good replacement for a beat to crap roc but so far it not anywhere near it.

And im also not sure how I feel about the M4 yet. To me it is a bit touchy. Sometimes it flips alot and other times it doesnt. I have yet to find the perfect way to throw it. Was really hoping it was going to be a good replacement for a beat to crap roc but so far it not anywhere near it.

That's what the Comet is for me. Starts out like a beat straight Roc and gets flippier from there.

M4 was sweet but not sweet enough to go in the bag.

This.

If I hit it JUST right, the M4 is an arrow. But it seems to find any flaw in my form. I trust my M3 a bit more for the time being because it's flight is a little more predictable for me. But man, when the M4 is ON for me? Killer disc. :thmbup:

I find that it does best at powered down annys. Powered down hyzerflips also. But powered up flip to turnovers and turnovers, it becomes less and less predictable.

The M4 is almost the same disc as a BuzzzSS but more flippy. I've been throwing the BuzzzSS since it first came out and picked up an M4 and the first thing I noticed was how it was less stable than the BuzzzSS. I feel this is a great fairway disc not not great off the tee.

Tell that to my two year old Ions that fly the same. This isn't the 90's anymore, designing molds for premium plastics and out of the box performance is largely the norm.

Anyways I got to test out an M4 and its a very nice disc. For my lower power friend it was his longest mid he's thrown and incredibly straight. It acts a little more understable for me but is still very controllable. To me it flies like a faster seasoned Comet with a much more comfortable rim shape. Closest disc in my bag is my lighter Tangent, but I think it might be a touch more understable than that disc. I might post a video tonight of some throws with it if they turned out any good...still havent reviewed the footage from last night.

Tell that to my two year old Ions that fly the same.
I don't have much time in this, but just seems like the closer a disc is to the putter end of things, the less they change. Driverish discs with that sort of leading edge/wing seem to change at a dramatically faster pace. I have watched my oldest Tracker's plh drop in relation to my unused one over time. It's not even close to the disc it was when new. It's still great, but in a very different way.

I would venture to guess those Ions haven't repeatedly thrown into trees though... My putting putters all still fly the same as well. Maybe a tick less stable now due to some upshots and hard basket hits, but very close nonetheless. I do agree with you on discs being designed to fly out of box the way they're marketed, but discs will always change with use. Especially with something being too stable, just throw it more!

I guess I was just surprised not everyone gets discs that need broken in. (Rocs, Eagles, Teebirds, etc.) I'm just used to buying premi plastic because of how it's GOING to fly. Knawmean, dawg?

I would venture to guess those Ions haven't repeatedly thrown into trees though... My putting putters all still fly the same as well. Maybe a tick less stable now due to some upshots and hard basket hits, but very close nonetheless. I do agree with you on discs being designed to fly out of box the way they're marketed, but discs will always change with use. Especially with something being too stable, just throw it more!

I guess I was just surprised not everyone gets discs that need broken in. (Rocs, Eagles, Teebirds, etc.) I'm just used to buying premi plastic because of how it's GOING to fly. Knawmean, dawg?

Actually they have been thrown into trees a ton, I play a lot of putter rounds and use them off the tee up to 400' so they've had some nasty hits.

It seems like disc golf discs used to be designed to need being broken in to achieve the true flight due ti the lack of durability in plastics. These days with premium plastic the trend seems more designing the disc to fly true to the ratings / intended flight right away. For example, the Buzz, Volt, River, Nuke, D4, M4 etc.

Also premium plastic can be a pain to break in. I was testing an Icon Cannon that flies way more overstable than I expected, and I'm not lookin to carry it in hopes of it breaking in eventuslly when it'll only get a few throws a round at my local courses. Not as big of a deal with a D Cyclone or DX Teebird, but I'm cool on breaking in premium plastic discs to achieve the flights I need.

Last edited:

Latest posts