• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy PA3

maxlowell

Forgive me if I missed it in my search. Has anyone heard of anticipated release of the PA3?

The current PA1 should end up the PA2, current PA2 will be the new PA3, and a new PA1 will be released with stability similar to a Sinus.

I've got (5) PA1's (4 300s and 1 400s) and they are way more over stable than any KC aviar or wizard I've thrown. I haven't thrown a sinus so I can't say either way about that. A friend of mine who I let throw my Pa1's, said they remind him of a Pig.

So no one has any indications of a pa3 release date?

Pigs and Zones are much closer to midranges so that make a big difference (apart from them being total meathooks regardless). Not very many golfers actually carry pig/zone type discs.

Which ones have you thrown? I have 4 PA1s and none of them are even as overstable as a new KC Pro Aviar. 400s included.

I've thrown a 300S. It has a neutral HSS and less glide than the PA2 but a little more fade. Much like with the Sinus, I was pretty disappointed with the lack of the harsh fade that the Zone does so well.

BEADED PUTTER PLEASE!

thanks for listening.

This! They seem to be avoiding beads in their mids and putters, and I don't know why. Their entire team putted with beaded putters. The PA2 feels great in hand and is similar to a Wizard for me in flight, but I would love to see a bead on at least one of their putters.

Last edited:
Not very many golfers actually carry pig/zone type discs.

Oh really? I'd say the three or four special edition runs of Zones Discraft has done recently is indicative of its popularity.

I'd also argue that the Pure is on the same speed level as Zones. Why doesn't anyone argue that it's a midrange like they do Zones?

Last edited:
Why doesn't anyone argue that it's a midrange like they do Zones?

probably because it originated as a slower disc and then moved up after the new plastic? not sure. maybe because it feels more like a putter as well. zero soft and the original flew very much slower than opto for me. dunno about gripline, though (did they even make those?).

that said, the opto pure does say "putt, approach and short drives". or something like that.

on-topic: i know nothing about prodigy putters, and i'll never use them. : \ don't feel as good in my hand, but i did play with a guy and we had a brodown. him throwing his pa-whatever and me with my opto pure.

i won. > : )

probably because it originated as a slower disc and then moved up after the new plastic? not sure. zero soft and the original flew very much slower than opto for me. dunno about gripline, though (did they even make those?).

that said, the opto pure does say "putt, approach and short drives". or something like that.

Slower disc that moved up? Not quite sure I understand what you mean. The Pure mold is the same today as the day it was released. The TM2's and Zero Hards I have fly the same as my Optos. The only ones that don't fly like them are the RGLs, and they have a harder fade and very large dome.

The point with that statement is just because people rarely use them for putting doesn't mean that Zones/Pigs aren't still putters. People need to stop thinking of putters as only being pin runners like they are in golf. We are able to throw any disc at any time, regardless of its classification, whereas golf putters aren't designed to do anything but make a ball roll.

Last edited:
i meant that the wide variety of materials used to make a disc have changed its flight a lot, not that the mold has changed. i throw a soft for short turning drives and approaches, a hard for putting and an opto for a wide array of shots, and they just seem to function better at different speeds. i know the disc is the same.

i was simply drawing a line separating the pure's unique circumstances (it has been made much more to be a "puttery" design than the pig and zone feel like, despite being made in varying plastics.).

it's just my speculation as to why other people would reason that way; it's not necessarily how i feel about the pig/zone themselves.

that said, if the pa3 is a lower profile feel, i might have to give it a go as another driving putter. :)

Oh really? I'd say the three or four special edition runs of Zones Discraft has done recently is indicative of its popularity.

I'd also argue that the Pure is on the same speed level as Zones. Why doesn't anyone argue that it's a midrange like they do Zones?

Yes the pig and zone are extremely popular on these forums and the zone is quite popular among discraft sponsored pros. That is evident because the limited edition zones sold out quickly and for very high prices. By my estimation that isn't very many players relative to the player base, which is what is what I was attempting to convey. By my observations from all of the players I've met playing most don't carry an overstable putter. Most players carry far flying overstable midranges like wasps and hornets and call it good. The players who carry very slow overstable discs tend to be players who have been playing many years and the ones I have known regardless of location usually carry a rhyno for this shot. As is often true I could be wrong.

As for your second argument, we disagree. I carry both a pure and a zone. A pure is slightly more aerodynamic than an aviar I still personally consider it a standard putter based on it's dimensions and flight. I personally consider the zone and pig to be innova-style "speed 4" identicle to a roc and buzzz. The only thing that is strange about the pig and zone is that they are smaller diameter than rocs and buzzes, but that doesn't affect how far they fly. They are both lower profile than an aviar and more gyroscopic. They are equally as gyroscopic as a roc or buzzz which is big contributing factor when classifying a disc in my opinion because it is so important in determining how quickly a disc slows down and how it fades. The main reason that a pig and zone fly shorter than a roc or buzzz is simply because of their extreme overstability. It's the same reason drones and vipers don't fly as far as far as M2s, whippets don't fly as far as far as eagles, firebirds don't fly as far as PDs, and nukeOSs don't fly as far as bosses. So that is why in my opinion zones and pigs are standard midranges.

As for your second argument, we disagree. I carry both a pure and a zone. A pure is slightly more aerodynamic than an aviar I still personally consider it a standard putter based on it's dimensions and flight. I personally consider the zone and pig to be innova-style "speed 4" identical to a roc and buzzz. The only thing that is strange about the pig and zone is that they are smaller diameter than rocs and buzzes, but that doesn't affect how far they fly. They are both lower profile than an aviar and more gyroscopic. They are equally as gyroscopic as a roc or buzzz which is big contributing factor when classifying a disc in my opinion because it is so important in determining how quickly a disc slows down and how it fades. The main reason that a pig and zone fly shorter than a roc or buzzz is simply because of their extreme overstability. It's the same reason drones and vipers don't fly as far as far as M2s, whippets don't fly as far as far as eagles, firebirds don't fly as far as PDs, and nukeOSs don't fly as far as bosses. So that is why in my opinion zones and pigs are standard midranges.

You consider a Pure a putter because of its shape. You consider a Zone a midrange because of its speed. Speed is what determines disc classification. Shape is what determines flight. You're comparing apples and oranges. In that regard, the Pure is the same speed as the Zone. Its shape has nothing to do with it. If it did, the XD (which is very similar to a Zone in shape) and Dart (looks more like a driver) would both be mids as well, and they aren't. The XD is well within putter speed, but the Dart is quite fast.

You also class the Roc and Buzzz at the same speed. The Buzzz is on the extreme fast side of mids, and Roc is on the extreme slow side. They both are capable of similar distance, but the Buzzz can do it with at lower heights, whereas the Roc needs height to do its thing, like a Comet.

Gyroscopics don't determine how quickly a disc slows, the wing shape does. The OS vs Stable disc examples you gave are because of their wing shapes, not their gyroscopic properties.