• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy Premium Plastic

I dont have tons of experience, but I have volunteered for a lot of events here in Charlotte.

During the time I help run events, I have met a lot of top pros.

Recently I got to check out some new Prodigy plastic.

I want to pass on some of my first impressions.

I not only value this site and for a variety of reasons, I have to give it at least partial credit for any improvement I've made in my game. From playing in wind to new disc reviews to reaching back high to help keep the nose down to what is the closest course to where my family reunion is going to be held, to keeping my chin up on putts and my heel down on drives, to reading up on a new course and sorting my bag accordingly, to stay away from the groove(jk), to practice driving with putters to etc..etc..etc.. oh, I value this site alright. Most recently for the Saint. Thank you DGCR!

Part of the problem with Prodigy right now is trying to remember what a plastic you have heard about but have never seen is called. 300? 500? How the Hell would I know, I've never seen it. 700? 750? I guess I'll find out when they actually exist. Right now I'm still trying to remember which of the M discs flies like a Roc.

Which, by the way, is all I really need to know.

This. I cant remember which is drone to comet stable.

This. I cant remember which is drone to comet stable.
The fact that they are all the same diameter with the same wing size doesn't help me. I guess the 1 is most overstable so it would be the Drone/Gator/Demon-type (if they even have one that overstable) and the 4 is the most understable. I can't remember if the most Roc-like is the 2 or the 3. After they have been around for some time it will be easier to remember. Maybe I'll actually throw one someday. That would really make it easier to remember.

The M3 reminds me of the Wasp so I would guess that's the closest to the Roc. I have only tried the M1 and M3 though.

Imo M1 is a between a hornet and drone with better glide than either. The M3 is wasp like, no turn really and a very abrupt fade. M4 is like a buzz ss or a beat buzz. Meteorish, but it feels smaller in diameter and height, not sure how accurate that is in reality tho.

So far i havent thrown any prodigy mids that have the qualities that dx roc throwers look for. In a base/mid grade plastic the M3 would be pretty money tho.

it feels smaller in diameter and height, not sure how accurate that is in reality tho.
The Meteor is 21.5 I think. I remember it being the same diameter as the Hawk. The M4 is 21.7? At least it is legal to 180, so it should be 21.7. The Easy Release thing is supposed to make a disc feel smaller in the hand, so that might be why it feels smaller.

personally i think the new plastic is garbage. I don't like the tackiness or the fact that the plastic has waves in it , as of right now i would compare it to quest plastic . I throw latitude , innova ,discraft,and westside. prodigy will not go in my bag until they fix it .my opinion I would have not let the discs come out until i had them perfect .

Disc golf has a very laid-back approach to this. Grip bags had the most horrible product launch ever, but all they has to do was fix the issues and everybody forgot about it and started throwing down money for their bags. Actually people were throwing around serious money for their bags when they were still having issues. We are funny like that.

Prodigy has had issues, but all they have to do is live and learn and it will be water under the bridge. Knowing that you can sell your mistakes and in the long run it won't hurt your company has to be nice.

personally i think the new plastic is garbage. I don't like the tackiness or the fact that the plastic has waves in it , as of right now i would compare it to quest plastic . I throw latitude , innova ,discraft,and westside. prodigy will not go in my bag until they fix it .my opinion I would have not let the discs come out until i had them perfect .

Waves in the plastic? What do you mean? Clovering?

I like that they cut their molds in swirls instead of circles like everyone else.

You're one of few comrade.

No, it looks like to me that they took the discs out before they were all the way set and the plastic ran like paint and you can also feel it too.These are only on the ones at my local retailer there may be better ones. I hope that they just got a bad batch if so I may give them a chance but until then no way.

personally i think the new plastic is garbage. I don't like the tackiness or the fact that the plastic has waves in it , as of right now i would compare it to quest plastic . I throw latitude , innova ,discraft,and westside. prodigy will not go in my bag until they fix it .my opinion I would have not let the discs come out until i had them perfect.
If you can't tell the difference between urethane and quest plastic, well...:doh: I've also never heard anyone complain about tackiness...

Waves in the plastic? What do you mean? Clovering?

I like that they cut their molds in swirls instead of circles like everyone else.

Those waves are a property of the plastic and not anything Prodigy is doing differently.

I bought a 166g D1. It's an overstable beast, but the plastic is great. Very tacky and easy to hold. It hasn't slipped out of my hand early... yet. It's a really nice disc for the "too fast and overstable for me so I can throw it into a strong headwind" slot in my bag. Works nice for thumbers that move to the right also.

I really like the plastic. I won't buy another Prodigy disc until they release fairway/control drivers though.

I dig their plastic blend now...I don't get what improvements they can make over it. This stuff is durable as all get put. My M1 has taken some serious abuse and only has one little chunk taken out of it....which came from a tone pole ace I hit at Echo Valley in Montana. My M3 looks almost brand new except for the mild color fading which is kind of a hummed because the fuschia color *was* really nice.