• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Project Save the Rancho Roc!

Well if Dave Dunipace openly admits to hating the roc, maybe he is trying to get us all to hate the roc as well so he can discontinue it and make a new design.

Well if Dave Dunipace openly admits to hating the roc, maybe he is trying to get us all to hate the roc as well so he can discontinue it and make a new design.

He is certainly proving that he couldn't care less about the people that helped keep his company afloat all those years when disc golf was all but unknown.

KC's are not automatic, either. You have a better shot with a KC in general, but I've seen crappy KC Rocs with the same shape as the crappy DX Rocs. It could be a plastic blend issue, though. I certainly don't have the answer, but I can see the problem. There is one in my hand right now.

I'm not advocating paying Innova to fix the problem. I'd like Innova to acknowledge that there is an issue with one of their bread and butter discs. Instead of doing that and fixing it, they are flooding the market with new discs that have the same name, which is pissing me off. I don't want another disc. I want the best damn mid range there ever was. Fix THE Roc.

If Dunipace didn't hate the Roc, it would have never been broken to begin with. Also, it would likely be available in Champion to the general public. I really do think he is trying to do away with it once and for all, by burying it under a bunch of turds with the same name.

wait, maybe this was covered/admitted to in the old "ask Dave D" thread on the PDGA forums but...

why does Dave Dunipace hate the Roc? Damn disc probably bought him a summer home.

The mold has been through plenty of changes before, if innova needed a new Rancho mold im pretty sure they could produce one themselves no problem.
Mold tooling is expensive. Like, really expensive compared to how much you make per piece. The problem is there isn't a good way for customers to demand "old style" Rocs that doesn't look like them preferring other discs instead. If you just don't buy Rancho Rocs it will look like you prefer other discs instead so there's no reason to make a new Rancho mold. You pretty much have to pull some publicity stunt like a Kickstarter campaign or letter writing campaign.

Dave Dunipace openly admits to hating the Roc. I believe he said he prefers the Coyote.

Can we get a source on this? This sounds a lot like the usual message board hearsay. If one of you heard it directly from Dunipace I'll believe you, but that sounds like the usual, "I have a cousin who knows someone with a friend who works at Innova and he said that Dunipace really doesn't like Rancho Rocs."

Oh, and you can't tell me that just because Dunipace doesn't THROW Rocs himself that he hates the mold. He certainly doesn't have the arm for Destroyers, but all his pros throw them and they make him loads of money, so I seriously doubt he hates the mold.

I have no sound at work so I don't know what all Dunipace says in this video. I'm not claiming he hates the Roc, I have no idea.

Dunipace probably hates the Roc about as much as Steve Jobs hates the iPhone, and Mike Parker the Air Jordan line.

Pretty poor rundown of the Rocs imo. Didn't even touch on San Marino or Ontario molds and spent too much time on the blasphemous plus mold versions.

If I'm correct there are:
DX Rancho Rocs
DX San Marino Rocs
DX Classics Rocs
DX Roc3
KC Pro Rancho Rocs
KC Pro Ontario Rocs
McPro Roc3
R-Pro Rocs
Champ+ Rocs
Champ Roc3
USDGC Champ Rocs
Star Rancho Rocs
Star San Marino Roc
G-Star Roc3
And Now VRoc and VRoc3?

Why not consolidate and make something that is more easily replicated, than trying to pander to small sub Roc groups?

I throw Wasps because I don't want to deal with all this non-sense.

DX Rancho Rocs
DX San Marino Rocs
DX Classics Rocs
DX Roc3
KC Pro Rancho Rocs
KC Pro Ontario Rocs
McPro Roc3
R-Pro Rocs
Champ+ Rocs
Champ Roc3
USDGC Champ Rocs
Star Rancho Rocs
Star San Marino Roc
G-Star Roc3
And Now VRoc and VRoc3?

Why not consolidate and make something that is more easily replicated, than trying to pander to small sub Roc groups?

Don't forget the KC Flat top Rocs.

Yeah I think I've given Innova enough of my money.

Play smart, keep it simple, throw Discraft mids :p

Should I throw a 1st run Buzzz or a 2nd 1st run Buzzz? A barstamp or a 10 year? Wasp or Buzzz tooled?

:popcorn:

DX Rancho Rocs
DX San Marino Rocs
DX Classics Rocs
DX Roc3
KC Pro Rancho Rocs
KC Pro Ontario Rocs
McPro Roc3
R-Pro Rocs
Champ+ Rocs
Champ Roc3
USDGC Champ Rocs
Star Rancho Rocs
Star San Marino Roc
G-Star Roc3
And Now VRoc and VRoc3?

I agree that they overuse the name "Roc" for their midranges, but it's not really fair to call the same disc in different plastics different discs or claim that making the same mold in different discs is confusing. Many molds produced by most manufacturers are made in multiple plastics.

Latest posts