• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Propper putting etiquette?

Skins

Par Member
Wondering what the propper putting etiquette was with disc.

Ball golf, once you start putting, it's your option to putt out to keep the flow going.

Disc golf I'm more familiar with whoever's further putts and so on until everyone is in the basket. This get a bit doo gooder though IMO.
Although I see pros using the ball golf etiquette more now a days so they can go about their way and get out of the way without lingering around.

I think once you start putting inside the circle you should just putt out which I do occasionally.

Last edited:
"Mind if I putt out?" or "Should I putt out?"

Or, early in the round: "Should we just putt out our gimmees guys?"

Don't do it without asking. And, really, the same is true for ball golf. Although it is somewhat more assumed for true tap ins, since the ball would remain in the way. Your disc on the ground is not in anyone's way.

Don't do it without asking. And, really, the same is true for ball golf. Although it is somewhat more assumed for true tap ins, since the ball would remain in the way. Your disc on the ground is not in anyone's way.

^^ All true.

All depends on the situation and players involved, but for pace of play putting out makes a lot of sense in a lot of cases. Aaaaand sometimes it doesn't.

In ball golf you don't putt anytime you want. You putt if you are the farthest from the cup, unless someone off the green is farther away. If you do putt and your putt is close to the cup or you are in the way or line of another player or extremely close, then you have the option of putting out. In disc golf, you should always ask if you want to invoke the "speed of play" rule. Most times it is unnecessary to use the SOP rule in disc golf as your disc under the basket isn't in anyone's way. Patience, young mantis.

Even just "I'm gonna putt out" in most situations when it's a gimme and you are not holding anyone up or going to impact anything except making speed of play faster is usually fine.

^^^This^^^

Just remember gimmees aren't allowed in PDGA events.

In disc golf, you should always ask if you want to invoke the "speed of play" rule. Most times it is unnecessary to use the SOP rule in disc golf as your disc under the basket isn't in anyone's way. Patience, young mantis.

Not really true. SOP isn't optional. I see a lot of unnecessary waiting around for other players in every round played, if anything.

3.2 Pace of Play
A. All competitors shall play without undue delay and will make
every effort to keep up with the group in front of them. Players
are required to quickly move from the completion of one hole to
the tee area of the next hole. Also, while advancing down the
fairway, the player shall not unduly delay play by his or her
actions.

I've wondered about clearing the basket. Does it really matter in casual rounds? How often is a putt affected by a disc that hasn't been cleared?

I've wondered about clearing the basket. Does it really matter in casual rounds? How often is a putt affected by a disc that hasn't been cleared?

I've seen it a couple times in a tournament where a disc wasn't cleared from the chains, and a guy bounced a five footer right off that disc and missed. I always ask for the person to clear during tournaments, just as a matter of habit. In casual play, if that same thing happens, I'm just giving the guy the putt.

I always ask if they want me to remove my disc if it's in the bottom of the basket. If the disc is in the chains, then I just grab the disc, since the "hangers" have more potential to affect shots.

Throwing out of turn is a courtesy violation. Just ask your mates if it's ok. If someone says "no", then don't putt out. I said in ball golf it is optional to putt out, although it depends if it's stroke play or match play.

An extension of this, which I see often, is for the player who is out to tell the others, "go ahead and putt out if you want to."

Throwing out of turn is a courtesy violation. Just ask your mates if it's ok. If someone says "no", then don't putt out. I said in ball golf it is optional to putt out, although it depends if it's stroke play or match play.

In ball golf once you start putting in stroke play, you do have the option to continue. I usually say I'm going to putt out even if I chose that and blew it by 10 feet. I've never once ASKed to continue, played since I was 6 and in tourneys since 8-20.

I do know disc is different and agree with asking the mates if they just want to clear the gimmies as to not clutter up play.

Bringing this up because I see pros often putt out their 5 footer as another is damn near in motion of putting an 8 footer. They don't think twice about it either.
Or some of them get up and tap in theirs before the next guy is lined up and none of them seem to care from my McFly or CCDG point of view.

Most of them pretty casual about just moving along.

But you guys know how it is, you got a 15 footer that means something and folks are creeping in from the sides and you wish they would have just putted out instead of lingering

What I say in ball golf is "I'm going to clean this up a bit";)

In ball golf, players usually "putt out" their tap-ins in order to clear their ball so as to not be in the way of the other players when they putt. That's not really an issue in disc golf since the putts are flying in the air where discs on the ground aren't going to be in the way.

Not every little ball golf etiquette or custom has to translate directly to disc golf. Personally, I think there really needs to be a compelling reason for a player to walk up and "tap out" in disc golf. Otherwise I don't think there's a whole lot of benefit to it. Typically, when I see a player do that, they follow up by high-tailing it to the next tee rather than stay at the green to observe the rest of the group holing out. Unless they are trying to run over to a nearby restroom or something, I don't see the need for one player to rush out like that.

I always ask if they want me to remove my disc if it's in the bottom of the basket. If the disc is in the chains, then I just grab the disc, since the "hangers" have more potential to affect shots.

I've always cleared in a tourney, but it does affect the speed of play. In casual rounds I usually don't clear unless the cardmates prefer it.

Admittedly have not read any responses, but I believe the pros in ball golf, for the most part, ask for permission to putt out. Whether they do it before the round or during the round, I have seen pros do it before when watching on TV. I haven't had too many problems with it, but it's always nice to ask for permission.

I've always cleared in a tourney, but it does affect the speed of play. In casual rounds I usually don't clear unless the cardmates prefer it.

In casual rounds we don't usually clear anything. As a group, we just know that if it bounces back out off a disc resting in the basket, we're just giving them the putt. Same as Stardoggy said. Not a big deal.

The only time I ask for a clear in casual is if the disc is hanging in the actual chains.

Latest posts