• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pros and cons of PDGA league

Alcohol is allowed in sanctioned leagues if allowed on the property. I personally see no reason why the rules should be different for leagues than anything else if the rounds are going to be "real."

Yeah, I am of this mindset. The rules of disc golf are not prohibitive of fun, in any way. If one is going to skirt rules, I think sanctioning is not going to curb that. Most leagues I play, everyone is playing by PDGA rules. The drunk, stoner guy is not a ton of fun, regardless of sanctioning.

Yeah, I am of this mindset. The rules of disc golf are not prohibitive of fun, in any way. If one is going to skirt rules, I think sanctioning is not going to curb that. Most leagues I play, everyone is playing by PDGA rules. The drunk, stoner guy is not a ton of fun, regardless of sanctioning.

The drunk, stoner guy is not a ton of fun, unless everyone else is also drunk and stoned. I don't smoke, and rarely drink when I disc, but I'm also in a very small minority in one of my leagues.

Alcohol is allowed in sanctioned leagues if allowed on the property. I personally see no reason why the rules should be different for leagues than anything else if the rounds are going to be "real."

Yep....alcohol is permitted at league play (as Biscoe says), but not tournaments:

Competition Manual 3.03 Player Misconduct:
5. Public display or use of alcohol, even where otherwise lawful or permitted, from the two-minute signal until the player's scorecard is submitted at an event sanctioned at C-Tier level or below (see 3.03.C.4 for penalties at events sanctioned at B-Tier or above). This rule does not apply to Leagues, where, if local law and event venue rules permit it, players of legal age to do so may consume alcohol during the round (see 1.14.C.4).

I don't like drunk or stoned players either, but I do like to be able to sip a beer on a nice summer evening while throwing frisbees. I imagine for most smokers the feeling is the same. I have been on cards with people who overindulge and it's cringeworthy, but that's been the extreme minority. Didn't realize that alcohol was permitted in sanctioned leagues.

At our sanctioned league you have a dedicated group that is just about always showing up to get more rated rounds and sometimes accumulate am worlds points(we had 5 guys qualify).

At the non-sanctioned league you tend to get fewer regulars, and more social vibe. There are still good players there who want to take your money(and what more money goes to payout since no sanctioning fees) but it's a little more relaxed.

I've been running a sanctioned league for 6 years now and love it. #1 biggest advantage of running a sanctioned league is you get complementary insurance.

I also find it much easier running a sanctioned league than unsanctioned due to PDGA live scoring. People keep track of their scores on their phones. It automatically gets sent to the PDGA after the round which then gets automatically sent to DGScene. All you have to do on DGScene is make sure everyone is in the division they said they were and enter in payouts and points if you want. It is so easy.

Latest posts