• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pulling a Mickelson

I just want to make sure I understand this. If you're one of the top golfers in the world, and you are having a bad tournament/hole, it's okay to have a meltdown and do something stupid because you're still respecting the sport and other players, thus showing etiquette?

I think golfers have a strange notion of etiquette. When I was growing up, pitching a fit because things didn't go my way was considered a no no.

I just want to make sure I understand this. If you're one of the top golfers in the world, and you are having a bad tournament/hole, it's okay to have a meltdown and do something stupid because you're still respecting the sport and other players, thus showing etiquette?

I think golfers have a strange notion of etiquette. When I was growing up, pitching a fit because things didn't go my way was considered a no no.
Please point out the meltdown and the pitching of the fit.

I don't see how you can say this.

I stand by it. He got set and made a shot, yes. It was not the typical thing of analyzing the green or the wind. Waiting for the ball to stop............ That was not a majors style putt.

One could argue:
- He disrespected the course by running on the green.
- He disrespected the other player by running and then hitting a moving ball.....very distracting.

But what would be the point.

As a way of mediation of the semantics, why don't we just say he lost his composure.

That poster has a history of misquoting people and generally making things up, so I was really interested in his response. I needed more entertainment yesterday.

One could argue:
- He disrespected the course by running on the green.
- He disrespected the other player by running and then hitting a moving ball.....very distracting.

But what would be the point.

Remember you're talking about Hefty here, it was more waddling than running. Kind of reminded me of a penguin.

Actually it made me think of something an 8 year old kid would do playing mini golf. Or of a senior losing their faculties.

Heck in two years he'll be eligible for the dementia tour anyway!

Please point out the meltdown and the pitching of the fit.

Sorry, I was just quoting what golf magazine wrote. I don't claim to understand the intricacies and, the etiquette of golf.

On the other hand, planning to break a rule for years, and doing so becuase you don't like the way the hole is going, is pitching a fit, just quietly so, in my book. "I don't like this rule, therefore, I'm gonna demonstrate that I know better in a public display."

Sorry, I was just quoting what golf magazine wrote. I don't claim to understand the intricacies and, the etiquette of golf.

On the other hand, planning to break a rule for years, and doing so becuase you don't like the way the hole is going, is pitching a fit, just quietly so, in my book. "I don't like this rule, therefore, I'm gonna demonstrate that I know better in a public display."

OMG, show us where there is anything to indicate Phil doesn't like the rule.

"Etiquette, in golf, deals with how one treats the course and those playing along with you."

PMantle

Etiquette in the dictionary: the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.

In other words, if Mickelson wasn't DQed because he didn't break the rules of etiquette for golf, that means the rules of etiquette in golf accept, breaking a rule to gain an advantage, telling different stories about why you broke that rule (I call that lying, I don't know what golf calls it) and waiting for three days to apologize, only after getting beat up in public. Like I wrote, my definition of etiquette, or perhaps it's better to say, the etiquette I was required to operate under as I was growing up, didn't include these things. They were no no's. Of course, my parents were just rednecks, my father was an electrician, and my mother was a housewife. They didn't have an intricate knowledge of golf and how one should behave in public. They were into swatting children who broke the rules and cheated to gain an advantage.

But I'm not a golfer.

You're correct, he didn't say he didn't like the rule. I apologize.

Iconcheers.gif

I just wish he would have made the slapshot comebacker, that would have been awesome. As it was he smiled and joked with his playing partner anyway, he sure didn't look mad or upset at all.

After hearing the controversy it caused he offered to withdraw from the tournament, but the USGA told him that wasn't necessary, so he didn't.

He has since publicly apologized for essentially playing Polo on the course without a horse, of course. :p

Latest posts