• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push Putt questions

drock2k1

Bogey Member
So I recently started using the push putt techique and let me tell you, it has saved my life. I am pretty accurate now 20 feet and in. I know that isn't really saying much but you have no idea how many putts I would miss under 10 feet, it was very very sad. I would either hold on to the disc too long or aim to far off to one direction. Now I just have to worry about distance. This is where my question comes in.

Once outside of 20 feet I cannot really get the power I need to push the putt and keep it inside the width of the basket. The put usuall starts off Hyzer and will stall near the basket. I have run some in from over 50 feet away using this technique but most never even have a chance. I throw a 175 Magnet that tends to get a little floppy if I try to hard to get it there so I don't know if this is just something that will come over time or from this far out I need to admit my suckage and spin putt.

Keep practicing, you will always get better over time. I also reccomend watching others do the same technique and see if you can pick anything up from them. Also, when you get outside of the circle (10m or roughly 30ft) you might want to consider adding a jump to you putt to get some extra power behind it.

I had the same problem push putting anything past 20ft, or 15ft really. I've switched to a hybrid push/spin putt and am starting to hit more 25' and 30' putts. I still missed a few 10' yesterday. DOH!

no to familiar with all the disc golf terms, and I don't mean to threadjack, but i was wondering what the push putt technique is?

Hey thanks, I should have known to check youtube. I have been looking for a solid putting technique, my putting is all over the place. For a while I was doing really well, sort of using an anhyzer putt to float my putter in the basket, but I don't know what happened. I have starting trying a couple other techniques, but that just seems to make it worse, can' ever stick to one for very long. I think I will give this a try, seems that If i see it demonstrated I can focus on working on that. Again sorry for the quick threadjack.

Hey thanks, I should have known to check youtube. I have been looking for a solid putting technique, my putting is all over the place. For a while I was doing really well, sort of using an anhyzer putt to float my putter in the basket, but I don't know what happened. I have starting trying a couple other techniques, but that just seems to make it worse, can' ever stick to one for very long. I think I will give this a try, seems that If i see it demonstrated I can focus on working on that. Again sorry for the quick threadjack.

No worries. I used to put anny as well but it was never very consistent. The push putt has shaved about 4-5 strokes off of my rounds. It took me about 3 or 4 days of practice before I could get a good release and kept the nose up which I still struggle with sometime, but man, this is way easier for me to make close putts. I went out tonight and measured my distance and I don't lose power until about 27 - 30 feet. Outside of that I have to put so much loft on the toss that I might be better served to spin putt. The key as far as power is concerned is getting a good weight shift. Give it a try.

I just looked at the posted video and it is a bit different than the Ken Climo push putt technique I am referring to, however; it looks like you would be able to get much more power using this than the push putt I was referring to. This looks more like a pitch putt. I will try to find the video but the best example I have seen is on the Innova DVD.

when beato made it it looked like he knew what he was doing but that first one cracked me up as it looked like someone who has just giving up that day ands not even trying any more.

He also says "I'm really not that good of a putter". That was pretty funnny and gave me great confidence in what he was teaching.

The KC method on the newest DVD is what has helped me and also putting 50 putts a day in the back yard not on the course. this helps with muscle memory. then on the course it just happens. I have spent to much time thinking about putts that I miss, now I have more confidence that they will go in. I still miss even the 10 and in, just not as often.

2 things I've learned about putting;
1.)Create a putting stance/motion that can be recreated over and over using muscle memory, and
2.)Practice enough so that throwing a putt on the course is as easy as dropping it in the basket.

watch both the basics of putting and long putt videos on discraft.com They were much more helpful to me in understanding proper putting.

I've been playing PP360 at least 3 times per week (3-5 games per session), and that has instantly improved my putting a huge amount. Find a way to make putting practice fun for yourself, so you can go do it for a while and get a large number of reps in. The more putts you take in practice, the better your muscle memory is going to be when you get to the course. Just make sure you use the same routine every time, whether it's in practice or on the course.

As a Climo technique putter myself, I would have to say it's all about the weight shift. After 20 feet try to rock back more, and get as big a transfer of momentum as possible. Since you're not really giving the disc much spin, a good momentum shift is the only way to get power behind it.

Outside of 10 meters this gets easier, as you can get a lot more momentum going forward when you don't have to stop it (the jump). but inside of that, you'll really have to focus on the rock back and power forward.

And practice practice practice. It will pay off.

Cool video.
Now was that push putting or pitch putting? Climo said it was a "pitching motion".

I just got myself a practice basket. When I tried putting with it I was using every style available. I can't seem to decide upon just one. Quite annoying, I wonder if I'll ever narrow it down.

just every day go at it for 30 minutes to an hour. (if you have that kind of time).

soon you'll find that one of the styles your experimenting with will start to feel better than the rest, and you'll start practicing it more. there you go, you've got a style.

if, say one type of putt (straddle, hyzer, straight run, whatever) works better for a specific putt (windy, 35 ft and in, 35 ft and out..) then there's absolutely no reason why you can't have two or three styles of putting. do whatever makes the most of the putts in the basket from any given position, if that makes sense.

Latest posts