• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putt Speed?

jkdisc

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
do you zip it in or do you lob it, or maybe somewhere in between? ive had some issues putting lately and i am never really sure if i should put some zip on it or give it some touch. thanks.

For me, it all depends on distance and elevation of the basket:
Uphill, long and short, I tend to putt high and hard because I hate landing short or clunking the basket.
Down Hill (long) I like to aim high and putt slow, right of the basket.This allows the putter to perform its natural fade. If I miss I'll, usually end up with a tap in. If I miss putting hard, I tend to blow it by leaving me witha possible three putt.(Short)- Medium Speed
Flat land Gets a Medium/slow speed right at the right most chain. I like to throw it at the top few links and let it drop into the sweet spot. Never that hard when I am close for fear of spit outs.
inconsistent from >25-30. By far the weakest part of my game.

Mostly, I push... or lob as you refered to it. Distance is resistance tho. Distance usually translates to hyzer-putting for me. I need it to stay near the basket. Nothing is worse than going 'birdie to bogey'.

I pitch/lob/push so I'm guessing it'd be on the slower side. I feel I add a bit o speed for straddles. For my longer putts I add anny and nose up.

I use challengers:)

I just put it in the chains. You can't make it if you don't go for it. The big thing is deciding to lay up or not. If you decide to go for it, you have to fully commit. If you chose to lay up, you have to be aware of the surrounding elevation. Roll-a-ways are the worst!!

I use a mix of Felberg/Climo, and Nikko's style of putting.

I just put it in the chains. You can't make it if you don't go for it. The big thing is deciding to lay up or not. If you decide to go for it, you have to fully commit. If you chose to lay up, you have to be aware of the surrounding elevation. Roll-a-ways are the worst!!

thats pretty much it. If you arent sure about a putt, lay the damn thing up :) it sucks to take a stroke like that, but it's a lot worse to take 2 extra with a three putt. Plus by laying up you are making a decision to take the stroke and stay 'in control' of the round.

Since we have travelled for some tournies recently we discovered that the chain weight and play seems to vary from course to course and there are places where without some speed and spin the disc wants to be rejected rather easily so drilling it in seems to be the best bet.

You gotta be on though, otherwise you miss 2-3 times and want to kill yourself.

I don't try to land in the basket as some do. I use the chains and rattle them pretty well. I'll putt about as hard as if I were throwing the disc to someone at whatever distance the putt is.

For me, putting seems to be all in my head. The more thinking, the more :doh:. I have seen some putting clinic videos that mention "seeing" the putt go in before it does.

Like they say: Just do what feels good! <--may not work so well outside of disc golf.

Since we have travelled for some tournies recently we discovered that the chain weight and play seems to vary from course to course and there are places where without some speed and spin the disc wants to be rejected rather easily so drilling it in seems to be the best bet.

You gotta be on though, otherwise you miss 2-3 times and want to kill yourself.

I completely disagree. If you have a good basket, it'll keep anything in (obviously exceptions), but the baskets with the fewer, lighter chains, when you try and drill it you will go right through or bounce right back when you hit the pole. On those types of baskets I just loft in, hoping to hit the bottom of the basket and not pole.

You will need to find whatever putt speed is comfortable for you. Keep in mind most of the better players I have seen, including push putters, have pretty good pace on their putts. Regardless of what putt speed you find comfortable, always make sure to commit to your putts. Don't worry about it being uphill or downhill, or the play in the chains. If you put consistant speed on your putts and commit to them you will find you make an awful lot more putts as well as any comebackers from a miss.

Fast enough to keep the disc flat the whole way. Trying to time when your putt is going to start hyzering is pretty tough.

If I am 50 feet out or more, I put a little heat on it. I want that disc to go straight at the chains. I don't want to miss it as it hyzers to the left. Less then that I am definately using less speed and more accuracy.

thanks guys, lately when i put some zip on it ive been hitting the outer cage, basically in the 20-25 ft range

I putt with confidence (a bit of speed) but do not have the worst fly bys, so it cant be that hard of a putt.

I use what I would call a "shoulder-swing" hyzer putt. It's what I developed after attending the Feldberg/Todd clinic in SC this past spring. It's worked pretty well for me. Strategy's pretty simple--aim a tad right for RHBH and aim for 10ft past the basket. Swing the whole arm and weight shift so that you take out a lot of the "snap" in putting. The more you snap a putter, the more variable you introduce in direction. I will almost always miss high or low with this strategy, and I attribute that to the less spin.

Latest posts