• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Putter or Mid FH sidearm Approach not midrange or drive, that won't skip or turn/burn

soft neutron envy is what you're looking for. I love a regular neutron at max weight for longer backhand tosses, but I bag a 166g soft that is just money for the situations you describe.

I use a Champ Gator for this, but it likes to skip. A beadless one in a gummier plastic might stick better. So I second the suggestion for a FrontLine-X Mortar.

I'm currently testing the Scale for similar uses. I do not flick so I'm not much help there. but as for S curve approaches with no skip, the Scale is working nicely for that. Mines in baseline plastic but it is stiff as a board. Very nice feel.

Scale, Pig or Rhyno sound like what you are looking for. In softer plastic to minimize skips.

Just curious, why didn't you like the Zone? For me the Zone and Verdict have a similar flight at around 100' because of powering down the Verdict more on the FH. They both flex well for me.

I will also agree with the Envy as a great FH putter. Though it doesn't have much fade so you'll definitely need to hyzer it, it won't come back enough on the flex.

Somehow the zone doesn't release as clean from my hand as I'd like. And I kinda want something even faster. Basically want the disc to do most of the work for this type of shot.

I used to have a lucid suspect, never really focused on forehand with it. But I think I'd still want something faster as well.

Somehow the zone doesn't release as clean from my hand as I'd like. And I kinda want something even faster. Basically want the disc to do most of the work for this type of shot.

I used to have a lucid suspect, never really focused on forehand with it. But I think I'd still want something faster as well.

If you like faster, go with the Verdict. It is going to skip on you some, though likely not as much as the Boss you're throwing.

It has been said that I have the worst FH in NC. That might very well be true so take my adivce with the appropriate sized grain of salt.

I have been using a Theory for my short FH shots. As bad as my form is I really haven't been turning it over or screwing up many shots. Nice straight shots that just settle down on the landing. But I can over power them a little and make then do little FH anny's when needed. Still working with it, but it is a surprisingly forgiving little FH mid.

I never clicked with any MVP, they just don't have the air time that I want, especially for this shot. I want something fast and slightly overstable, but it still has to be easy to throw. MVP's fly like bricks to me, especially when powered down.

Verdict sounds promising. is it too fast or too overstable to be powered down with accuracy?

Sounds like a Chief to me. Bead lowers skip chances. It's overstableish. Pretty low profile; usually a plus forehanding. And it's based on a Wizard. What more can you ask?

Envy is a good choice. Dx gator would work also but they get flippy pretty quick, if you want to go in the gator direction try to find a used champion or glow. BuzzOS may not have the glide your looking for but they are awesome FH discs. The DGA breaker is another option, never thrown one personally but have seen a few guys using them for this role.

I use a Breaker, works well. Bead keeps it from skipping much, slightly over stable and I like the slightly concave top for FH. Not sure if it's as fast or glidey as OP wants though.

Verdict sounds promising. is it too fast or too overstable to be powered down with accuracy?

No, I use it all the time for <100' flick upshots and actually hit the front of the basket on a ~150'-200' flick ace run laser beam today. It will skip/slide a bit but you said you wanted a faster disc. And it does this fairly forwards or on an / type angle...whereas I imagine a Boss or something like that powered down will skip way right.

It fades out on me too much on the little flick approaches if I wuss out and baby arm it (but then it won't skip because I just didn't snap it enough). But that's my fault. Not much different than backhand floating a putter and watching it fade left for no reason than your own fault of not throwing confidently.

I've been so impatient waiting for DD to release the Justice midrange that I started trying to flick my verdict. The thing is laser beam straight with minimal fade or skip thrown flat. I mainly threw felons for FH up to 350 on a C shape line whereas the verdict I can throw up to 200 on an l shape line. I haven't had any luck throwing the harp FH consistently.

After my round today I have to come back and say TAR PIT SCALE. Hits and sticks like a champ and is very hard to turn over.

The Suspect is my choice for this shot.

I use it for all my upshots (I primarily FH).

It's a little overstable, doesn't skip much, and feels great in the hand for FH.

This, plus you have many options of plastic for this mold. I've had everything (except Lucid) and have an ace with my soft. It's a comfortable rim for flicking in my opinion.

Latest posts