• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Approach discs?

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Just wanted to get some opinions on approach discs. I currently use a K2 Berg, then a Prodigy 400 plastic A3 and A4 as my short shot or approach discs. Anything around 225 and under, recovery shots, etc. I keep seeing a LOT of Harps on "In the Bag", and this new Tactic from Discmania looks interesting. Just wondering what everyone's favorites are and why?

What I'm looking for is a flat to very flat topped disc, has a medium to thinner overall depth (I hate deep frisbee feeling discs like the P2 or other discs like that), has an easy clean release for FH or BH (so the rim and edge has to be very smooth and not have anything that catches on your hand), and has a good controlled flight that lands really soft and just kind of dies near the end of it's flight? I've seen some in the bags with the Harp or Tactic and the shot is just perfect with them. It has controlled glide. Not 0 or 1, but not 4 or 5 where it can just keep sailing on if you hit it a touch to hard. And then in the last 10' or so of it's flight, it just softly dies out of the air and stays right where it landed. Doesn't skip off or roll around. It's sooo cool.

The Berg I have is good and bad. It has a weird shape, is deep, and not enough glide. I can literally throw that thing as hard as I can and it goes maybe 225-230 max, haha. Usually ends up 20-50' short of where I "think" it will land based on how hard I threw it. And because it has SUCH low glide, it's kind of hard to determine how hard to throw it at different distances as it just falls out of the air. Where I really like it, is about 100' or less, and when I just need to MAKE SURE the disc dies before or at the basket. It NEVER goes long, haha. Like baskets near a slope, hill or water.

And then the Prodigy A3 and A4 are good in some aspects, but not so much in others. I love the odd flat front edge of the rim and how thin the depth is on them. But they are VERY O/S, and not the flattest. They have sort of a dome right in the middle, then go flat from there to the edge. So it's like a flat slope. So they're just alright for FH's. But I do like the idea of them. The A3 is shorter by about 30-50' than the A4, and has a huge hook fade no matter how I throw it. The A3 I can get to stay straighter for longer, but it still turns hard in the last 1/3rd of it's flight. But It's closer to what I'm looking for. And I do like the distance I get from the A4, and how both of them always are good in the wind and finish left. Just too much left.

I've realized this year that putting and good approaches are where you score the majority of your birdies and how you save pars. I used to not give a crap about either, but this year have been working a lot more on that part of my game and have come to love it. And it has taken a lot of strokes off my score. Since I still can't throw really well yet, my tee shots are all over the place. One day I'm throwing really well and parking baskets or fairways, the next I'm all over the place. And I realized that getting a lot better at recovery or approaches from bad tee shots is saving me lots of strokes. Not so much scoring in the negative per say, just not making as many bogies or higher.

So Harp, Tactic, Suspect, etc, what is your go to Approach that meets the requirements I'm looking for? Thanks

Last edited:
I actually made a video on this subject last week if you want to take a look; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lQsb75-pQ04

Personally the Harp/Tactic are both fantastic and if you don't like their harder fade the Jokeri is very good as well, it's just not as flat and has a more rounded profile.

I was going to suggest trying a Pure, but then I saw that you have a Pure in your sig. What don't you like about your Pure for these shots?

Mortar if you can find one. Lost mine last month at Selah and my scores really show the difference without it.

If you like the A3, I'd vote for trying it in 300 plastic. I bag one in 400 and 1-2 in 300 for that straighter shot that won't skip as much. They come out pretty flat in 300.

I actually made a video on this subject last week if you want to take a look; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lQsb75-pQ04

Personally the Harp/Tactic are both fantastic and if you don't like their harder fade the Jokeri is very good as well, it's just not as flat and has a more rounded profile.

Nice video and great throwin man! Must be nice to throw a super low glide approach disc 290-300 ;) And thanks for the suggestions

I was going to suggest trying a Pure, but then I saw that you have a Pure in your sig. What don't you like about your Pure for these shots?

I love the Pure! But I just got it, and it's not a control disc that fades much or at all (and probably will struggle in the wind). It's probably the straightest disc I've ever thrown actually (tied with the Neutron Proxy). It goes dead straight the entire way, glides a long way, then has like a baby 2' fade at the very last second.

Plus something is just not right about the bottom of the rim/lip (there is some sort of tiny little scratchy plastic parting line and it gets stuck on my hand when trying to use it FH). But for in the woods or when I need a dead straight soft approach that is a little bit longer, almost approaching Mid range distance, it's money so far! Really liking it actually and can't wait to use it more to see how good it is. Love it for BHs and gives me a lot of confidence for certain shots. Thanks for the suggestion

Zone/Harp/Pig. Take your pick.

For me I love the Harp for backhand approaches but I don't care much for it on a forehand.

The Zone is my forehand approach disc of choice but for backhand shots I always seem to end up going longer than expected.

The Pig works quite well for me forehand and backhand but All of mine are a little too stiff for my liking and they tend to ricochet off the basket and roll away. Nothing worse than hitting cage on a 200' approach shot and finding you're left with a 40' putt.

Currently I am bagging both a Zone and a Harp. I'm backhand dominant so I'll throw the Harp the majority of the time but if I find I need a forehand approach then out comes the Zone.

Stop messing with the copycat discs and just bag a zone

I agree. All the other "approach discs" are direct knockoffs of the Zone. IMO the Zone is the original and best disc for approaches.

Harp would be my alternate, if I had to pick one.

Stop messing with the copycat discs and just bag a zone

Pretty much this. If you can find one in z flx it has very little ground play. I happened to lose one on the last hole at Camp Collum so if you're ever near Frankfort IN it's yours to keep if you find it

Pretty much this. If you can find one in z flx it has very little ground play. I happened to lose one on the last hole at Camp Collum so if you're ever near Frankfort IN it's yours to keep if you find it

Lots of cryztal flx available on Ledgestone last I looked. Been playing around with a CT Zone a little too, does fairly well at low ground play but "crazy tuff" is a misnomer.

I personally love the Bard as an approach disc, forehand and backhand. Near impossible to get unfortunately. To me it is like a Harp that flies better.