• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Approach discs?

I've thrown BT soft and VIP harps. Until I got a Stego. That's a great disc that goes farther than it gets credit. Anhyzer FH is your friend. Wont go as far as a Harp. BUT- I got a DX Rhyno from my son in law for Christmas. Wow, that's a great mold. I'm actually throwing 250' hyzer shots instead of throwing discs flat and let them do the work. I can't remember the last time I threw a Harp even though it's still in the bag.

Then I found a hard Tactic with no ink. I tried throwing that instead of the Rhyno or Stego. It wanted to get to the ground faster than I expected. Kind of lifeless, maybe. And it turns in the wind, I found out last Sunday. It's now in a pond.

My votes 1) Rhyno, and if you don't need 250', 2) a Stego. (Assuming you already have a putter or something else for floaty turnovers) also a Harp is great.

Like others have said, the Zone is amazing, but if you want something that will fly a little further and beat into something with a little turn before some fade the Suspect is pretty awesome as well. Suspect is comfortable forehand and more comfortable than the Zone backhand, IMO.

Consider a Westside Maiden. It might be a little glidey (4), but in other respects it matches the description you're looking for (very flat, not deep, no skip or roll- just runs out of gas and drops). Dead straight with flat release to 180', needs a little bit of hyzer in order to be straight to 220'. And best - they can be found at various retailers. I just picked up a backup from Disc Baron.

Lots of cryztal flx available on Ledgestone last I looked. Been playing around with a CT Zone a little too, does fairly well at low ground play but "crazy tuff" is a misnomer.

Agreed, I got a few of them to compliment a Z zone and it started off great but it got beat in real quick and now on a calm day I can get it to turn over so it cant be trusted anymore. Plus I was hoping the plastic was going to be slicker and closer to KC but instead its pretty much a knock off of Zero Hard from Lat. Too grippy imo, but beats up just as quickly and inconsistently.

I bag a Zone and sometimes a Jokeri. I can push the Jokeri a big longer and it also gives me more versatile flex lines. The Zone is a lot better for me for a stock hyzer approach or stock forehand approach.

Lots of cryztal flx available on Ledgestone last I looked. Been playing around with a CT Zone a little too, does fairly well at low ground play but "crazy tuff" is a misnomer.

How's the CT beat in? I thought about trying out a jawbreaker too to get something to fly a little straighter eventually but not sure it would replace my Envy

How's the CT beat in? I thought about trying out a jawbreaker too to get something to fly a little straighter eventually but not sure it would replace my Envy

I mean about how you would expect....it's already gone from typical new Zone OS to more of a straight to fade. I haven't been throwing it a lot bc I clicked a little more with the CryZtal Flx. But I will bust it out when it's wetter/colder because even the Flx is kinda slippery when wet.

My 'go to' approach was the Innova Wysocki Pig, which is a flatter version of the R-Pro Pig. Loved it, but it's difficult to find. So I switched to the DGA Breaker. It's flat topped, and shallow enough for my forehand throw.

Love my JB Zone, they're amazing when they beat in which happens pretty quickly if you play courses with baskets around any rocks or trees. Mine has become incredibly straight and reliable, almost an entirely different disc compared to my Z FLX.

I was using an RPM Kea for all this inside 250' overstable stuff.

However, I'm now playing a bit of glow golf and trying to get my glow bag to match my day bag. Using Proton Axiom Envy's in both bags and having good results. Have an RPM Kotuku in both bags for approaches that are a bit further out.

I'm a huge Barsby fan and I'd argue he has the best approach game on tour. He has a couple of molds that he's cycled for years(KC pro aviar and DX Rhyno). I think a super OS disc like a zone is fine, but figuring out how to shape lines with more neutral discs has really helped my game. Also- kinda depends on where you are in your form journey - but I found that throwing zones all the time lead to me strong arming/oating my upshots, where as neutral disc reward you for having smooth form and a clean release

A few years back and "everybody" whould have said NOVA but it´s funny how that disc died with Paul.

But i think a slow disc that goes straight and lands flat is a good practice tool...harder to get a OS disc like the zone and Pig to land flat and not have some ground play.
I use a beat in BERG or a POLECAT but will try the HYDROGEN out. .

A few years back and "everybody" whould have said NOVA but it´s funny how that disc died with Paul.

But i think a slow disc that goes straight and lands flat is a good practice tool...harder to get a OS disc like the zone and Pig to land flat and not have some ground play.
I use a beat in BERG or a POLECAT but will try the HYDROGEN out. .

I regularly throw my rattler when I'm out of jump putt range and it's a wide open green. Only times I switch is when there is wind. I either throw my big z roach or zone. I love the rattler because it just hits and sits. I carry a esp one and it can handle a little bit of wind. It's great for those throw in type distances. Even if I miscalculate my throw I know it's going to leave me with a close putt.

Although it's a midrange, I loved the Axiom Pyro as a flat topped OS approach disc.

I'll echo the Zone, although you might sometimes come across puddle topped zones (each jawbreaker one I ever ordered (at different times) was this way, though the zflx and z never were) in case that matters to you.

Others mentioned the rhyno, but I preferred the Ringer GT and the Ringer combination.
The GT feels just like a rhyno, flies with a wee touch (marginal) more glide and is shallow. In fact, the GT is more shallow than the regular ringer but it doesn't feel that way because of the raised thumbtrack. The regular ringer, though, is a thin putter that I think flicks better, though it won't handle the torque that a zone will. A zflx ringer GT will, but it doesn't have the more pronounced fade that the zone does.

Zone obviously. But I recently switched to the Pig as I find it doesn't dump as quickly as a Zone. I also experimented with a Rhyno and RhynoX, but I prefer the lower profile of the Tank, which shares the top of the Rhynos and Pig, but is beadless. Tank is basically my most used approach disc - I bag 3 in different wears. The beat up ones glide like putters and the newer ones are predictably overstable, but not as overstable as the Rhynos.

I have thrown the 300 a2, the zone, the pig, and the harp.

I think the a2 is the best pure approach disc for forehand and backhand. It will not turn over and will generally sit where it lands. It is actually so good of an approach disc it hid my forehand oat the whole time I was using it. When trying out other approach discs, they would all turn over into rollers from my terrible forehand. The downside of this disc, is that it is not very versatile as a thrower. I am guessing that is why a lot of people use a3s now. Also it is not a great disc to use if you want to improve your form as it hides those flaws very well.

The zone felt great for both forehand and backhand. I just got so many terrible roll aways with the crystal flex ones. These are holes where I have never seen roll aways and you would think it would be impossible. I also had a tough time finding base plastic ones (jawbreaker) and didn't like the fact that they are generally a lot more expensive then other similar discs. The one jawbreaker zone I got though, was amazing. Felt great for both forehand and backhand and had a overstable finish that was getting more neutral as it broke in (until I threw it into a lake).

The pig was a great backhand approach disc but for me was very touchy to any kind of forehand oat but in a weird way. If I executed my forehand correctly it was pretty overstable not straight, but if thrown with oat it would turn over very easily and not really fight to come back. The pig also is only really available in one plastic type. The ones I got were really domey and not that comfortable for forehand.

The harp is what I use now. It has a lot of different plastic types and the most base plastic types. The plastic types also work to cover slightly different shot types too. They are all easy to find and relatively cheap. Some of the plastic types are more neutral than a pig or a2 which has worked great for me relearning my forehand. They feel great for throwing backhand. The downside is they have a deeper putter feel for forehand and not the slim approach disc feel that works better for forehand. Due to the different plastic types that are cheap and available and the closer to neutral flight of the harp I think it is the best all around approach disc of the ones I have tried, but I could see the zone being better, as it is more comfortable for forehands, if money was not on obstacle.

Last edited:
I have thrown the 300 a2, the zone, the pig, and the harp.

I think the a2 is the best pure approach disc for forehand and backhand. It will not turn over and will generally sit where it lands. It is actually so good of an approach disc it hid my forehand oat the whole time I was using it. When trying out other approach discs, they would all turn over into rollers from my terrible forehand. The downside of this disc, is that it is not very versatile as a thrower. I am guessing that is why a lot of people use a3s now. Also it is not a great disc to use if you want to improve your form as it hides those flaws very well.

The zone felt great for both forehand and backhand. I just got so many terrible roll aways with the crystal flex ones. These are holes where I have never seen roll aways and you would think it would be impossible. I also had a tough time finding base plastic ones (jawbreaker) and didn't like the fact that they are generally a lot more expensive then other similar discs. The one jawbreaker zone I got though, was amazing. Felt great for both forehand and backhand and had a overstable finish that was getting more neutral as it broke in (until I threw it into a lake).

The pig was a great backhand approach disc but for me was very touchy to any kind of forehand oat but in a weird way. If I executed my forehand correctly it was pretty overstable not straight, but if thrown with oat it would turn over very easily and not really fight to come back. The pig also is only really available in one plastic type. The ones I got were really domey and not that comfortable for forehand.

The harp is what I use now. It has a lot of different plastic types and the most base plastic types. The plastic types also work to cover slightly different shot types too. They are all easy to find and relatively cheap. Some of the plastic types are more neutral than a pig or a2 which has worked great for me relearning my forehand. They feel great for throwing backhand. The downside is they have a deeper putter feel for forehand and not the slim approach disc feel that works better for forehand. Due to the different plastic types that are cheap and available and the closer to neutral flight of the harp I think it is the best all around approach disc of the ones I have tried, but I could see the zone being better, as it is more comfortable for forehands, if money was not on obstacle.

Good arguments for the Harp. Plastic choice and availability are so important. I have one soft X Zone which was definitely my favourite approach disc (stayed overstable, amazing grip and stops dead) but being irreplaceable made me nervous. Jawbreaker was the only plastic with almost similar grip, but it got so flippy it was no longer like a Zone. As a mainly backhand thrower, I am happy with my current Tanks and Pigs. Discs I enjoy and have multiples of. Well done, Westside for providing the Harp in so many stock plastics (5 from my usual supplier, not including burst variations) rather than occasional limited run novelty blends which will just be irreplaceable.

So I ordered a Soft and Hard Tactic to try out. I went to my normal practice field last Friday and had a pretty good session. Some small improvements in my BH and FH form, and worked a lot on my approach shots (flat and then sweeping hyzers). The Tactic is going in the bag for sure. It's like right in between my K2 Berg and my Prodigy A4. Not too much glide and not too little. And is VERY predictable in how it flies. Easy to throw short, medium or longer approaches. And seems to stick to the ground well.

My K2 Berg is super low glide and you can't throw it much more than 200' without really getting on it. Which for an approach is not how you want to be throwing. The Tactic does have a bit more glide, but it also doesn't glide quite as much as my A4. Not that the A4 is glidey or anything. And the Berg is pretty straight unless you throw it on a hyzer, and even then it's a slow moving hyzer. Whereas the Tactic always has a fade finish and you can get a pretty good hyzer sweep out of it if thrown on a hard hyzer line.

Then the A4 goes mostly straight with a pronounced fade at the end, and definitely easier to get more distance than the Tactic. But... I can throw both around the same distance. It's just that the Tactic you have to THROW it the distance you want, whereas the A4 glides a bit more there with a little less effort and skips more when landing when thrown medium or low. Whereas the Tactic always just dies near the end of it's flight and gets to ground quick with no skip. And the A4 is less predictable in it's distance than the Tactic. Sometimes it goes short and turns more, and other times it really takes off and goes much farther straight before it fades. So I can really see this Tactic being great for almost all approaches and much more predictable.

The Tactic is also able to achieve different shots depending on the angle and speed thrown. Which is great! So you can really get a lot of different shots out of it, but ALWAYS with a medium and predictable fade finish! Also works great for FH's. You can get it to flex if you wanted or just go straight with a fade finish. Or put it up on a hyzer angle and really let it come sweeping around high and knife down to the ground. And the main thing I love about it's flight is that it just DROPS out of the air near the end of it's flight! No skipping! Perfect flight for an approach disc. The A3/A4's can sometimes skip a lot (which can come in handy sometimes), and doesn't stay near the basket as often. The Tactic just stops right where you throw it every time.

I also LOVE how it feels in the hand! It's BOARD flat on top (which I LOVE flat top discs), with a fairly small sort of sharp leading edge that is high up, and a nice little divot that fits perfectly in your hand when using it FH. Also, it's got a nice thin rim depth, and somewhat thin overall height, which I love. The feel of it is probably one of the main reasons I like it so much. I'm really picky about how a disc feels in my hand, almost more than how it flies.

The Soft one is almost floppy but still holds it's shape well, and I feel will be the better approach disc for sticking where it lands. It has a nice grippy but velvet like feel. So you can still FH it it well and have it come out of your hand without sticking. The Hard one is much stiffer plastic and has an almost gloss like finish, but not quite. It's kind of slick and still has some grip to it. Not sure how it will work sticking to the ground with it being so firm overall, but will definitely be trying out both often to see how each works out.

Overall it's nothing exciting per say (it's not some cool distance driver or something), but seems like it will be a very useful disc and my main approach moving forward. Depending on the course though, I'll still rotate in and out my Berg and A3/A4. They all have their uses and it's nice to be able to have a little quiver of approach discs to choose from depending on the course and shots needed. I'm really getting into working on my approach shots, recovery shots and putting and learning how important they are! Just like in golf, scrambling, chipping and putting is how you REALLY start lowering your score and shooting much more consistent scores. Same here in Disc Golf. I realize how important it is now to get super accurate approaches and putt better. It saves pars on bad Tee shots and helps get birdies when you have a good tee shot.

So after playing with these two Tactics over the last month or more, I've come to realize a few things.

PROS
- Love how flat the top is, and how thin the disc is. SO easy to FH and the shape fits in your hand nearly perfect

- Great approach disc. Not crazy O/S, but definitely is O/S. Depending on the angle and how hard I throw it, it either has a nice controlled fade flight path, or can even put it on a slight anny line and get it to stay flatter/straighter for longer. It's mindless how easy it is to get near the basket with this disc as long as there is room to throw the hyzer flight path it has. Just aim 10-30' right of the basket (depending on how far out you are) and give it rip, and it always ends up 10' or less from the basket! It's SOOO easy to approach now using a disc like this, as opposed to having to think and make a perfect throw with my Berg or one of my putters! Also the hard version can handle any power I put on it for a BH

- Never just dumps hard left and on it's side, always lands nice and doesn't roll away

CONS
- The soft and hard are both kind of sticky and grip to my hand too much. Makes for difficult throwing sometimes. Because it's a soft baseline plastic, it just gets hung up too much on my hands and can really screw up a delicate shot where I HAVE to have the release come out perfect. It feels like it sticks to my fingers/hand sometimes and yanks out going more left or right then I wanted

- Because it's baseline plastic, it already has huge chunks missing and sharp jagged cuts and scraps in the rim. Which once again adds to my frustration on super clean releases

So I'm just wondering about two things?

1. Does the Neo Plastic version of the Tactic (Eagles Razor Claw) fly more or less the same as the Exo Hard Tactic? Or is it quite a bit more O/S? And if it is more O/S, can it be beat in to be a bit more neutral or not really? I'd LOVE to get this Tactic in a premium C like plastic (Champ, C-line, Neo, Lux, whatever), as it would have a super clean release.

2. Does the Discraft Zone come in any plastics that feel and perform just like Neo or C-line, Lux, etc? And if so, are those Zones super O/S, or still just normal O/S like a Exo Hard Tactic? If I can't get a Tactic (for a reasonable price, not going to pay insane prices and try to "score" one on special release day), then I think I'd like to try and find some Zones that are very similar to these Tactics. Just in a firm, less grippy premium plastic. I played with a guy a few weeks ago, and he had one, let me check it out, and I LOVE how flat and thin it is. Felt like it would come out of your hand really clean.

Latest posts