• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putters: So who's tried em all and what have you learned?

Alexd83

I tried a good few, but only consistently used a few. Went from DX aviar->rpro aviar->rattler->star aviar->ion->sss wizard.

Currently i favor the wizard as my go to. Its a great all around putter. I'm very curious about magnets, challengers, and i also like the omega supersoft, i actually thinks its a lot like the wizard. I've thrown polecats, rhynos, magic (which is super slow and just floats).

All in all I feel like the wizard is just fine and more than anything i just need to improve skill who cares what putter i have. But I also know that putting is such a touchy thing that the right disc can make that difference in consistency of release.

So again, for those of you who have "thrown em all" what have you learned about all these damn putters and what's your take on what makes them good. (besides that they just "seem to work for you") What have you noticed about discraft, innova, and others?

The thing that makes the *insert putter name here* so amazing is the person making putts with it.

Find the one that makes you feel the most confident and practice.

yup. I feel you. But i wonder, will i ever switch from the wizard? BTW, was thinking of getting a short range very overstable disc. A zone perhaps? A useful disc ya think?

The Zone works for me on a midrange level, 100'-200'. I sacrificed ~25' of distance from the Drone but gained a level of control on the landings that made me keep it in the bag.

Whether you switch from the Wizard or not, it doesn't hurt to shop around. Putters are usually best in the cheapest plastics so it doesn't cost much to try a lot.

the #1 most important thing when it comes to a putter is how it mentally feels in your hand. if you pick up a putter and just feel like you got the bees knees in your hand then go with that. Just like the #1 thing when putting is the confidence that youll make it. once you find this putter than just practice practice practice.
good video to watch

a boss? haha. right. um, so my question is...once you find a putter you like, do you absolutely commit yourself to it? ya know. like Smyith says, "once you find that putter, just practice, practice, practice. So is it like that. ya know? you have your fav drivers and mids, but still, they are all situational. You are in a polygamous relationship with all them. but the putter....is it a strict monogamous relationship? where you just commit to one and are married, occasionally fooling around after a while, maybe getting a divorce? seems the putter is a special relationship. how committed to a putter should you be?

Well, I can say without a doubt. That I've tried just about every putter from the big two (Innova and Discraft), plus a bunch from all the little indians. My fav at this time and I don't think that will change, is the APX swirl. To each his own as far feel, but what has helped me the most is the stability of the putter or lack there of. Ever since I've moved away from the overly stable putters. My putting has improved alot especially form outside the 10 meter mark. I've been able to track a much straighter flight and don't have to worry about the disc hyzering out to soon. Heck even when it does begin to fade at the end of it's flght, it's very minimal.
Now I do carry a Wizard for the very windy days I face (20+ mph during the summer), but even still, it's for upshots out around 40 feet. Being able to play in a windy area has shown to me that putting on windy days is more of a mind game than anything.
So pick a putter that feels good in your hands, but maybe try something on the less stable side?

For my "putting" putters I carry two tourney stamped voodoos that I'm wayyy to commited too. I'd be totally ****ed if I lost either of them, it would kill my mental game.

I putt with an 166 ESP banger-gt. I love the way it feels and it tends to release very smoothly for me. It is a little overstable so I wanted to go with a lighter weight so I could throw it straight a bit easier and let it fade in at the end. I also have a 175 rpro dart I use for longer putts and approach shots

for my putter putter I've tried a LOT of different putters (aviar, classic aviar, wizard, magic, voodoo) but I always have come back to my gummy evo-hpp voodoo... Never ever have I had a more consistent putter...

oh, and new in my bag is se rhynos (eraser ontarios) for approach :)

I've tried all sorts for putters, from every Aviar plastic, Ions, Summit, Birdie, and even a Juju. But, I've never found anything more perfect than the Magnet. It has the range of an understable putter, but the reliability of a more stable one. This thing was love at first flight. I've never had better putting than with this thing.

Now, I'm assuming you think this answer sucks because I can't put my thumb on what makes the Magnet so awesome, but just give it a shot. Plenty of pros use one, so you should too.

What makes a gummy Voodoo more consistent than any other putter? What have you learned from throwing OOP Rhynos?

really?

it's consistent for me and I've learned how to shape lines on approach.

does it really matter, it's what works for me...

Voodoo is a small bead wizard, its less stable so easier to keep on the straight line longer.
I believe the Warlock is a beadless wizard.

IMHO All very closely resemble the Aviars in different bead formats. Which the challenger resembles the SB Avair and the Focus closer to the Wizard/BB Aviar

I use SSS Wizards for putting and HPP Wiz for driving/ups.
Also am looking into HPP warlocks and voodoos for driving putters. There are times I need something I can easily keep turning and not have fade out.
I might look at the voodoo in SSS as a putter for outside the 32.8' range.

If you want a short range OS disc go Pig and never look back.

Has anyone posted yet to claim to have tried them all?

tbird888 and therefore Smigles is right, OP. There is no supreme disc for putting, driving or anything really. Find something you like and commit.

Seems a lot of people want a disc to magically fix all that ales them but it just isn't going to happen.

Latest posts