• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Grip: Pinky Tucked vs Fanned

OB Four

Eagle Member
So, I currently tuck my pinky against the rim, like so:
p10100361.jpg

Lately, I've been toying with the idea of fanning my pinky out in an attempt to have a more consistent release on my putt. My thought is that the pinky being tucked against the rim takes more effort to open up and can be another variable to account for on the putting release. Theoretically, the fanned out pinky would take one variable out of the equation.

Comfort aside, I was wondering if anyone had any strong feelings about tucking the pinky vs fanning it out on the flight plate in terms of its consistency and performance?

I got tired of my fat, many times broken crooked pinky finger getting caught on the rim, and fanning it didn't feel comfortable to me so I stack it on my ring finger to get it out of the way altogether. For me personally, it gives a cleaner release.

I remove the pinky from the disc altogether. Can't say good or bad results as I'm a terrible putter but I tuck it into my palm and three finger the putt.

Out to around 45ft I use a fan grip, if I tuck the pinky at that range I tend to get it hung up and miss right (RH). Further out where I need a little more ummph, I tuck the pinky.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1913753&postcount=2206

Old 03-22-2013, 01:25 AM
PMcBeth PMcBeth is offline DGCR Verified Account
.:4X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartman View Post

Hey Paul,

I assume you use a type of fan grip for putting? I'm specifically interested in the pinkie finger: if it is tucked under the rim or if it is fanned out with the fore/middle fingers.

Thanks!

i keep it fanned out. i dont want any chance of it hitting the inside rim of the putter

I'm working through the Official Ask Paul McBeth thread, someone asked him this question on the page I'm on. (221)

Fan grip for this guy. With a putting style loosely based on Wysocki's. Tried different stances over the past year, but the grip hasn't ever changed.

Thumb smashed on my Galaxy Note 4

I keep my pinky fanned out for putts but put it under the rim for drives with putters. Seems to work pretty good for me but everyone's different. Play around with it a little see what works best for you.

It really depends if you're a push putter or spin putter. Push putting fanned is usually what you'll see. Paul is kind of in between the 2 and that grip obviously works amazing for him. Most spin putters will have something that's gonna give them more snap. I use the pinky tucked under the rim but also have my index finger on the outside of the rim like Pauls. I use a combo where I'm spinning the putter but also building up inertia and loft with my body similar to a push put.

I spent about a week once trying to get a pinky fanned out like the top Pro putters and really couldn't get it to work with my combo of spin/push putting. My putts where in shambles that week but now finally have them back ironed out going to my original pinky tucked grip. I would say do what's best for you and your putting style and whatever is the easiest for you to recreate over and over and over and over. Paul and Ricky are probably the top 2 putters in the world and they're putting styles are completely different, yet both very effective. So do what works!

I tuck my pinky against the rim and grip firmly, just feels like I have more control that way (spin putter). Never had a problem with the pinky catching on the rim, and actually I would think fanning it out you would be more likely to catch it on the rim.

Last edited:

Latest posts