• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting without pain?

notapro

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
All right, there are a ton of threads about elbow pain, and plenty of threads about putting styles, this is a combination of both.

I tweaked my elbow the other day somehow, probably from trying flex shots with a CFR Glow Firebird and not following through. Right now, I can play fine without pain as long as I follow through.

My usual putting style is definitely trying to emulate what Dave is talking about in the Dave Dunipace's Putting Tip video. But, this really doesn't allow for a follow through.

Does anyone have any tips on how to putt accurately while having an exaggerated follow through? I mean, no stopping whatsoever... I've been messing around with a few things but it feels out of control. Or a video of it; I perused through some but haven't seen anything even close.

Help!!

you probably have a mild sprain or like hyperextension in your elbow... :\ things like that usually recover pretty quickly. I would say be gentle with it a while and then stretch it out. Then youll be back to normal

BUT... by way of putting with a follow through. I sometimes do something like that and it feels like im throwing a catch disc or an ultimate disc (my discing life started with ultimate.) For me it works sometimes. Its kind of alot of twist and flick. :\ dunno if that helps any...

I don't know man, sounds like you should take the dreaded week off to heal up. Putting form is one thing that can get way out of whack, and if you are intentionally messing it up it may take a month to get back your old form. Taking a week off can be good anyways, lets all the muscles and tendons really get set and may also give you a longer time before the next injury.

stretch, stretch and stretch. Barely anyone takes the time out before they play a round to stretch. Take 5 minutes out, and just stretch your whole body. You will throw better and the pain will go away. For now, take it easy man. Ice it and then apply heat

Yeah, I'll take monday thru thursday off to let it heal a little. I just played a few rounds using more of a pitch putt, and that was pain free. Not sure if it's good form or whatever but it was serviceable. Just keeping the arm straight the whole time and using a little wrist at the end to immobilize the elbow made all the difference.

Ahh... Kind of like a Swedish style?? I was trying to mess around with that, with poor results. :)

What worked for putting was just moving the arm up and down on a vertical plane, and doing a little jump putt with it from further out. I am usually a spin putter, we'll see how this goes...

As far as stretching, I usually do a good job of that. At least warming up the arm.

All right, there are a ton of threads about elbow pain, and plenty of threads about putting styles, this is a combination of both.

I tweaked my elbow the other day somehow, probably from trying flex shots with a CFR Glow Firebird and not following through. Right now, I can play fine without pain as long as I follow through.

My usual putting style is definitely trying to emulate what Dave is talking about in the Dave Dunipace's Putting Tip video. But, this really doesn't allow for a follow through.

Does anyone have any tips on how to putt accurately while having an exaggerated follow through? I mean, no stopping whatsoever... I've been messing around with a few things but it feels out of control. Or a video of it; I perused through some but haven't seen anything even close.

Help!!

Sorry 'bout the arm, man. :(

Nah, it is definitely manageable. The only thing that sucks is the in-between putt and approach, I am terrified of griplock so there have been a lot of early releases.

I have a feeling this could be a good thing in the long run; it has got to be a direct result of poor, poor form and the resulting hyperextension.

So, for a quick pitch putt primer. To get a good putt you need a weight shift and QUICK acceleration. Use a staggered stance with the ball of your front foot and the heel of your back foot in a straight line toward the basket. Your front (right foot assuming RHBH) foot should be pointed between 10 and 11 o'clock (assuming 12 is straight in front of you) and your back (left foot assuming RHBH) foot should point more toward 9 to 10 o'clock. To get the weight shift bend your back knee and get all your weight centered over that back foot. Then, right before you release the putt you want to extend you back leg quickly in order to shift your weight over your front foot, thus the weight shift. It helps me if I pick up or almost pick up off the ground my front right foot when shifting my weight back in order to remind me to really get that weight shifted back. Also, it helps me to fully extend that right leg when my weight is back over the left foot.

So the two important parts of this are weight shift and the quick acceleration. If you use a swing in your putt the putter should be closest to your body/at the bottom of the swing when your weight is back. Then, when you shift your weight forward you want to quickly open your WRIST and FINGERS. This is what provides the pop on a pitch putt. The putt should not be powered primarily by your arm. If you want to see what the pop feels like in an exaggerated manner see my drill* at the end. I find it helps to pop open the wrist and the fingers at just the same moment I kick my left leg and shift all my weight over my front right foot. This prevents a late release where your arm will power the putt and throw off your accuracy. You want the putt to release QUICKLY and as CLOSE TO YOUR BODY as possible, pretty much right at the same time as your kick/extend your back left leg. With a good kick of the left leg it should be in the air when you putt. All of your weight should be over that right leg.

Keys to a good pitch putt:

Good weight shift evidenced by your weight being totally over your back leg and then totally over your front leg to finish the putt.

Quick acceleration evidenced by the putter leaving your hand when it is no further from your body than 6-12 inches.

Good wrist/finger spring evidenced by your hand AND ALL YOUR FINGERS being totally open pointed towards the basket as if you were shaking hands with it.

*The drill I will use sometimes to accentuate finger spring and grip pressure is to take a belt and wrap it around your torso, under your left arm and over your right arm right above the elbow. Give yourself an inch or so of room so it is not tight enough to be uncomfortable. Now putt like that. You will find that to get a halfway decent putt you will have to shift your weight and find a nice quick acceleration with good finger spring.

Holy cow... that is awesome. I was definitely struggling with it today, this sounds like a great, yet simple, explanation. :thmbup:

Latest posts