• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

questions about weight transfer

attik34

Birdie Member
So I've noticed something within the weight transfer

What i've seen and how i see it described, is more like a baseball swing...you start back...and pivot through and finish forward...but its more of a pivot and drive with the upper body hips ect.

but when you finish its more similar to a pitcher in baseball, long and through...leg follows behind..

Question would be i guess, should I be loading up and driving my weight forward off of my back leg? or just using the momentum of the run-up and pivot to generate power?

just curious as to wats more "right" i suppose

The run-up for me does very little as far as momentum transfer. It's basically just to get my timing and rhythm down. The real power of the throw comes from driving off the back leg and using that drive to torque around your forward leg.

Question would be i guess, should I be loading up and driving my weight forward off of my back leg? or just using the momentum of the run-up and pivot to generate power?
If you build your throw from the hit back you'll have no choice but to do it that way.

Maybe I have too little experience to answer the question, but I actually do both. Perhaps with time this will change, but with only 350 or so rounds under my belt (yeah I am a geek when it comes to tracking such things) I find I do best to use both approaches depending on the situation. On shorter putts (inside 15ft) I find just the rock/glide from back to front produces the most smooth controllable putt...I will only begin to use more of a back leg push on longer putts (20 feet and out...15-20 is a grey area and depends on wind and how I feel about my game that day). The reasoning I have for this is that I find my pushing from the back leg will occasionally cause me to "jerk" a bit an is not as smooth. This will invariably cause my putt to be a bit off target. I have however, found this jerk to be gradually diminishing as I use it more.

"Loading up" sounds like getting your weight too far back to get it over your front leg at all.

Nothing matters except what's going on as the disc is leaving your hand. Just keep that in mind. Everything else is simply to get you to that point comfortably or the keep you from falling on your face after that point.

Practice throwing standing drives for distance. You won't be able to get proper weight shift without kicking off from the back leg. The same applies to a regular run up.