• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Rattler

My problem with lids in premium plastic is they only make them in in 168+ weights. It's the one disc class where many people actually prefer lighter weights, to emphasize the frisbee qualities, yet manufacturers only give us heavy ones, in a denser plastic that is already killing the glide. Quit being a dick, Innova/Discraft and make some lids in the 150s in the good plastic. :mad:

Agree with the sentiment, but you touched on it about the denser plastic. Taking the Polecat as an example... if they do make a Champion Polecat in a lighter weight, it's going to have to be Blizzard or otherwise have some kind of air bubbles to reduce weight. And I shudder to think what that disaster would be like. :gross:

Agree with the sentiment, but you touched on it about the denser plastic. Taking the Polecat as an example... if they do make a Champion Polecat in a lighter weight, it's going to have to be Blizzard or otherwise have some kind of air bubbles to reduce weight. And I shudder to think what that disaster would be like. :gross:

Innova still uses the Starlight type plastic for the Hydra in the G-Star version, you can see that in the picture of the disc on the Innova Factory Website https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/gstar-hydra.html so it is still possible for Innova to make discs like that in Starlight to keep weight down.

These esp rattlers look like they at least get down to 160g if that helps at all. Obviously still not as light weight but that's still a 15g difference from max

I'm not sure, the last 150 disc I remember throwing from them was a 150 class z flick. That was a long time ago.

Yeah the last disc I used was in 2009 or 2011 a ESP FLX 150 class Avenger from a cousin, his disc. He did not want me to loose the disc since it was ESP FLX and that was discontinued. I did try his FLX Z Avenger as it was higher weight 173-174 grams. It flew less far as I like 170-172 gram set for drivers, I like 5 grams from Max +2 /--2 for a disc.

I think that 150 class ESP is gone. Z lite still exists so a 150 class disc in that plastic is still possible.

Last edited:
For those afraid the rattler was going to be a brick in esp and heavy weights

A mold with this shape is impossible to be a brick. I appreciate Greene speaking up on the subject but obviously these will have some glide. If you see him post a comparison to Pro-D or Tourny Pro let us know, otherwise I still feel how I felt - won't fly like the stack I already own.

Explain the SuperSonic then. They're like 130s in champ type plastic. No air bubbles. :confused:

Explain the SuperSonic then. They're like 130s in champ type plastic. No air bubbles. :confused:

Fly quite stable as well (pending decent form). Picked up like 5 a number of years back, think I have one left? Pretty sure one has been living in the VIP mystery box for a while now lol

I got a Gurthie Star Sonic in max weight 175g and was super disappointed with the lack of glide. Put it up in the air and it would show the turn but fall out of the air. Would be awesome if these flew any better, will be awaiting feedback!

Got one today, only had the time and patience in this cold to toss it around the back yard for a few minutes. Gotta say, it feels just like throwing an Ultrastar. It flew great on a low soft air bounce, which is one throw I miss using. I've tried air bounces with various neutral or understable golf discs and they are all too stable and lack the glide to fly right unless you hit them hard, which is the opposite of what I want to do with that shot.

If the weather is at all decent later this week I'll give it a test run on the course and report back.

Got one today, only had the time and patience in this cold to toss it around the back yard for a few minutes. Gotta say, it feels just like throwing an Ultrastar. It flew great on a low soft air bounce, which is one throw I miss using. I've tried air bounces with various neutral or understable golf discs and they are all too stable and lack the glide to fly right unless you hit them hard, which is the opposite of what I want to do with that shot.

If the weather is at all decent later this week I'll give it a test run on the course and report back.

Nice, what weight was it? Mine is coming in today.

172g.
a88e664cbd79e5851cdfbbb03d1280db.jpg
c6cd1cbcf5b7aeb5cbdba6b0bc4d9bea.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Gave mine a few tosses today (174g). Flies pretty similar to a new Pro-D one, maybe a nuance less glide (expected, my Pro-D is 171g). Flight is quite unique, like an Ultrastar with more drop due to the smaller diameter.

I can throw it a lot higher than a Reko or Maiden, the Rattler has very little fade and a remarkably straight flight. This could be a great disc for those throws a usual golf disc is not really suitable for. And it fits into bags, Ultrastars are a pain to carry around just for the sake of 1 or 2 shots per round (if any). Due to it's diameter, I will probably use the Rattler to run some baskets from further away as well. I always feel like it's hard for baskets to catch Ultrastars properly.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930T mit Tapatalk

...I always feel like it's hard for baskets to catch Ultrastars properly.

Totally agreed. I love UltraStars but, for the reasons you mentioned, I don't bring them to the course as much as I could. When I do, its usually a one-disc round and I don't have a bag to carry it.

I never really noticed my Rattlers acting like a baby UltraStar. I think I need to go test them again. I think mine are all around 163g because I bought the lightest I could find.

Lids in general don't have the mass around the rim to push through the chains. It creates a contradiction of discs that are amazing approach discs and lousy putters.

Our local course has Gateway Titans with really beefy outside chains; it's very common for me to execute a long tricky run at the basket with a Lighting Upshot, have it hit chains in a way that you would think the basket should hold the putt and have the disc just deflect off the outside chains to the ground. The disc is moving so slowly with so little mass on the rim that it just can't push through the chain barrier. It happens at least a 3-4 times a year, I just accept it as the cost of making long runs at the basket with a lid.

My esp came in the mail today. Only gave it a few throws in the yard so far. Hopefully tomorrow I can get more thows with it. So far I'm liking it for standstill upshots. It held hyzer and anhyzer equally. Probably going to replace my Sol because that's what I basically use it for standstill upshots.

So evidently jawbreaker rattlers are a thing. Only 300 made for the memorial...I bought 4, I have a serious problem

Attachments

• 96590B0B-824B-4EFD-88DA-BA2A4AD69A06.jpg
    96590B0B-824B-4EFD-88DA-BA2A4AD69A06.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts