• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Real dominator review

I figured I'd give my input on the Destroyer while here, maybe it'll be of use to someone.

My brother came up this weekend to watch the Florida/Tennessee game (it was ugly... but beside the point!). I recently got him into the sport and he's been buying up discs like crazy since he has no rent or bills and a $10/hour job income (at 16). He's always been a strong armed guy when compared to myself. He plays football now and gets much more of a workout than I do. Needless to say, he's got a cannon.

That being said, I can always out throw him by a solid ~30 ft (I'm ~400 and he's ~370). He bought the Dominator (175g champion) and a Flick (172g Z-Line) trying to find a consistent driver (he's RHFH and I'm RHBH). He bought the Flick after doing research, the guy behind the counter randomly talked him into the Dominator.

We got out to the course and started launching plastic in a nearby open field. I'll leave the flick results out (I'm buying one...) but he was getting a nice long, tight, S-curve and outdistanced me by a good 20 feet with the Dominator. I toss a Boss pretty far and relatively accurately, but he was trumping me in both categories. After a few throws he decided to try his other disc and asked if I wanted to try his Dominator. I got almost the same results: Similar distance to my go-to driver (Boss) and similar accuracy. I was a little floored and quite impressed with this being an out of the box disc. After a few more minutes of testing, he was getting similar (slightly better) results with the Flick and said it felt better in his hand and told me to keep the Dominator if I liked it.

I took him up on the offer.

I wasn't able to get it to turn over, confidently, but it was only around an hour of testing. I'll absolutely be playing a few rounds with it. It may be kicking the Boss out entirely if I get similar, consistent results.

I'm highly impressed with this disc and it's lived up to all the hype my local purveyor of pricey plastic has been cramming down everyone's throats since about two weeks before it came out.

Take this experience as you will, but I'm a believer.

just tested out some blizzard dominators, a few 156g and some 157g. very similar to my blizzard bosses, not overstable but not real flippy either. I didnt have any noticeable extra distance from this test. i am throwing 450-500ft max, i am a 'no hitter' thrower, RHBH

I went to my local gas station today and they had some champion dominators with the blizzard stamp on them.... about 5 of them. they all were in the 168-173 range with no bubbles. wassup wit dat.

the latest MSt newsletter refers to "blizzard" doms weighing 170

insert comment: Innova, consistency, misstamping, something something something dark side

its a mistake and should have been a x out.

Innova most likely developed the blizzard technique for more than just blizzard stamped discs

In probably actually helps in preventing x-outs in heavier weights. lots of star plastic now a days specifically speed 12 and 13(Boss comes to mind) have visible traces of bubbles on the top of the flight plate. Bubbles do not = xout

The rim feels similar to a Krait, IMO.
I think I prefer the CFR Blizzard to the retooled version, but I haven't thrown it that much yet. Maybe time will change my opinion.

The DD2 is a good comparison, the Dominator is similar to a DD2. It is a tweaked Katana, with a shallow rim, I took my 175G Champion out and threw it about 10 times on a big wide open course. It is a fast disc with good distance, the flight is very similar to the 1st run Lemon Lake Star Katanas, which has similarities to a DD2. The disc wants to move left to right during its flight, but will flex back at the end, the shallow rim will be a problem for some people, I know I have to spend more time making sure my fingers are just right or I will have release errors, and it is very nose angle sensitive, so you need to throw it flat, if you leave the nose up, it will gain too much altitude and stall, so throwing flat is important. This disc has good potential, but will take a pretty good arm to get something out of this mold, it will not perform for slower arm speeds or people who do not have good timing.

anyone throw one side by side with an esp nuke? it tough paying for premium plastic that beats in less than 5 rounds. im cycling 4 nukes right now. it would be nice to replace them with something a little more durable.

If I had to pick between a Nuke and a Dominator, I would always take a Nuke. On the issue of breaking in fast and losing stability, I would expect the Dominator to break in faster and get flippy and end up a roller, and definitely sooner than a Nuke would. And the Dominator will probably not work well as a forehand disc.

I throw both FH and they both go as intended, but I will generally pick the Nuke first, but I haven't worked with the Dominator enough to really "own" it yet.

I did throw a roller with it today, and I do declare it beats my Condor in the roller department! Cray-Cray!

I got a 168 Blizzard Dominator as a CTP over the weekend and figured it would be flippy as hell. I got out to throw it today after the rained stopped and to my surprise this disc bombs and gets stable at the end.

To me it has the late curve a lot like the Katana with the exception the Katana for me was never really consistent in whether it would pick up at the end or just keep burning. I was giving the Dominator some hyzer and ripping it and the turn would pick up good around 340 and then a late solid fade at the end brought it back.

My first throws with it were in the 450-480 range and I was very surprised with how it flew brand new; much like a good broken in Z Nuke. It doesn't have much tolerance for high throws but what high speed disc does?

Wow...reviving an old thread. I look at my comment above and just laugh. I have DEFINETLY phased both of these monster discs out! I do keep a Blizz Dominator in my 150-class bag though. I actually really like it, but I just do not have the arm for it. Most discs I can get my arm speed up and bomb it by sacrificing control, but the Dominator was doing the dreaded "hyzer out" for me everytime...making me feel like a n00b to the max.

I think it's a good disc, just not for me.