• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rebecca Cox

Everett Evans

Par Member
Neat to see the rise of Rebecca Cox, but does anyone else think she is going to have shoulder problems before too long? The strain on her shoulder from her "all arm/no shoulder turn" seems too much to sustain. Amazing power without much body transfer though.

Anyone know if she is working on incorporating shoulder turn into her drives?

Her sequence is pretty good which is the key to her power, but she plants way open and hugs herself, definitely not the most efficient way to throw, but somewhat effective because of the kinetic sequence. The open stance and hugging go together to release straight. I think her shoulder will be ok, but the front leg and spine might be problematic down the road. "Shoulder turn" happens from the hips, since her stance is open her pelvis/torso/shoulders are not turned back. If she planted into closed stance/closed front hip, she would appear to have more "shoulder turn" and she would need to keep her upper arm angle from hugging herself so much.

I just heard of her and saw her play. She's good. Unique form, it looks like she doesn't turn her head at all and keeps it forward through the whole throw. I was thinking neck, but hope not, would like to see her as a competitor.

yah, she just barely turns her head a bit to the left just as she reaches back and pulls through. I think her biggest issue is, she is way too fast in her x-step and that's probably why it doesn't feel natural to turn around slightly earlier and reach back. If she slowed down...way...down...on her first 2 steps, she would probably learn that she "has time" to turn and reach back further. Bottom line..she's young...if she gets some help from someone and corrects her form, she will be bombing...in the future.

Isn't she halfway shifting in front and over the top? It seems like she is landing with feet in line to target rather than offset to be closed, and is pushing her upper body completely through the brace. Her spine gets tilted toward the target and she has to step through kind of rapidly.

But, I'm not entirely sure because if she were planting offset-closed it may end up a bit more in balance with her weight drive more through the brace rather than around to the left side as it does now. Right now she's doing the equivalent of early releasing by like 30 degrees and her arm looks super collapsed because of it. As SW said the reachback and arm collapse go hand in hand with planting too in line/open.

This was the first I've seen of her, she has a ton of athleticism and I'd love to see if she can challenge Paige's distance if she gets her form sorted out a bit. Easier said than done though, I mean that's what we're all trying to do.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 5.40.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 5.40.05 PM.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,266
i really think she could be one of the best in the sport. but not improving after such a wakeup call is not an athlete i will support.

You're saying like changing form is something you just go and do. Gotta remember that she plays the sport for a living and trying to change your form will certainly make you a worse player for an indefinite time. You probably have some natural talent and it's easy to judge. I'm saying everyone is capable of learning the proper form but some people especially kids and people with sports background need significantly less time learning it.

Her Dad was the Worlds putting champ for 2 years back in the 90s, she has a good coach, so to me it makes it even more confusing why she couldn't/wouldn't fix her form.
She's young enough to come back from any set back a form change might create.

Her deciding to do this for a living has no bearing, that's her choice and not a necessary choice.

You're saying like changing form is something you just go and do. Gotta remember that she plays the sport for a living and trying to change your form will certainly make you a worse player for an indefinite time. You probably have some natural talent and it's easy to judge. I'm saying everyone is capable of learning the proper form but some people especially kids and people with sports background need significantly less time learning it.
im certainly not a talent in discgolf. i have changed my bh form many times in pursuit of effortless distance. however i have better than average awareness and control over my body.

catrina allen changed her form and got marginally worse 1 season. now she has a huge advantage.

an off season is well enough time to develop new muscle memory. its around 80 hours of repeating same movement for it to do it naturally.

im certainly not a talent in discgolf. i have changed my bh form many times in pursuit of effortless distance. however i have better than average awareness and control over my body.

catrina allen changed her form and got marginally worse 1 season. now she has a huge advantage.

an off season is well enough time to develop new muscle memory. its around 80 hours of repeating same movement for it to do it naturally.

Yeah no offense man. It just seemed a little harsh thats all. I was in similar rating range as Rebecca is now and in my case the form change led to various injuries and total mental exhaustion. I almost quit the game because I was a shadow of what I used to be and playing was not fun. Hundreds of hours of work which led to nothing. But after a significant break things are getting much better now. I'm on the edge of break through right now but it was painful and hard. And Rebecca has been playing much longer than I have so I'd guess it could be even harder for her to unlearn the bad habits.

Yeah off season and 80 hours may not seem like much but the true beast is learning to know what to do for those 80 hours. You can easily end up injured and frustrated or progress big time. Thats very subjective. Everyone would be throwing 400+ if it was easy :)

Her Dad was the Worlds putting champ for 2 years back in the 90s, she has a good coach, so to me it makes it even more confusing why she couldn't/wouldn't fix her form.
She's young enough to come back from any set back a form change might create.

Her deciding to do this for a living has no bearing, that's her choice and not a necessary choice.

But to not have her coach/dad help with the form to be better so she is not throwing so off flat, I would have hip pain if I did such a thing.

Yeah no offense man. It just seemed a little harsh.. to various injuries and total mental exhaustion. I almost quit the game because I was a shadow of what I used to be and playing was not fun. Hundreds of hours of work which led to nothing. But after a significant break things are getting much better now. I'm on the edge of break through right now but it was painful and hard. And Rebecca has been playing much longer than I have so I'd guess it could be even harder for her to unlearn.
I know that feeling. Sucks when you cant really feel the improvement and you dont know how much is left before you actually get the benefits.. happy to hear you had a break thru! I tried competing with mental illness. The anxiety is the worst.